If we’re bumped up to a Neptune Suite when an accessible cabin is needed ...

Beth Y

You will certainly be able to access all the amenities that come with a Neptune Suite, but you will not be credited double days for a suite, since you did not pay for it. Still, you'll be living the "suite life"!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Neptune Suites -- delightful.

There is a step up to get into the bathroom -- will that be a problem?

There is a little edge to get over to go out on the verandah -- will that be a problem?

There is a separate shower stall.

You will be spoiled.

I’ve found photos of the Accessible Suite online (Nieuw Amsterdam 7057) and it has ramps to the bathroom and to the balcony.

Thanks all!

On both HAL ships we've sailed, the balcony doors are open outward (I think) not sliding. Being mobility challenged, I had to hold open the balcony door while stepping out, so it wouldn't close too fast and knock me over.[/quoet]

I

On Vendam, Maasdam, Zaandam, Volendam, Rotterdam, Amstterdam, Z uiderdam, oostterdam, Wetterdam, Noorddam, Eurodam, Nieuw Amserdam, the verandah doors in neptunes open out and they are heavy. There is no ramp to roll a wheelchair into the bathroom.

On both HAL ships we've sailed, the balcony doors are open outward (I think) not sliding. Being mobility challenged, I had to hold open the balcony door while stepping out, so it wouldn't close too fast and knock me over.[/quoet]

I

On Vendam, Maasdam, Zaandam, Volendam, Rotterdam, Amstterdam, Z uiderdam, oostterdam, Wetterdam, Noorddam, Eurodam, Nieuw Amserdam, the verandah doors in neptunes open out and they are heavy. There is no ramp to roll a wheelchair into the bathroom.

It's pretty hard to open those balcony doors. In the bathrooms, they do have a step up. It's important to identify hand holds while still in port.

OP,

The Neptune Suites give you ample room for a scooter, etc., whether they are accessible or not.

If you were assigned an accessible Suite, they do have the ramps and a level shower IIRC. there's a few pics on the site that can't be named.

If you are assigned a regular Neptune, then you will have the step ups that people are talking about.

But.

If you need the acessib le c ab in, why would you move over to a Neptune that was not accessiblr? How would you manage in a non-accessib le cab in?

If there are no accessible rooms available in the requested category the booking system automatically upgrades to the next level of accessible stateroom.

If there are no accessible rooms available in the requested category the booking system automatically upgrades to the next level of accessible stateroom.

So,, you are hoping to move from an accessible Vissta ca bin to a Neptune ccessilb. Let us know if you get lucky. I did not understand you w ere expecting the Neptune upgrade to be to an accessible. nice if you get a free upgrade. :)

True... we book and pay for a VF and get moved up to the next level that is accessible, which is a VB on the Oosterdam.

Maybe its too much egg nog but I'm having trouble understanding this. If there are no accessible cabins available, how do you request one in the first place. And I don't know if this has been answered, but again I'm assuming this upgrade was to an accessible Neptune Suite???? If not the case, then, if accessible cabins are not available, are you upgraded to the next category level accessible or not?

Maybe its too much egg nog but I'm having trouble understanding this. If there are no accessible cabins available, how do you request one in the first place. And I don't know if this has been answered, but again I'm assuming this upgrade was to an accessible Neptune Suite???? If not the case, then, if accessible cabins are not available, are you upgraded to the next category level accessible or not?

When you do an online booking via the Holland America site you can choose the "I need an accessible cabin" box. If there are no accessible cabins in the category you have chosen it comes back with a message saying so, and that they have upgraded you to the next available category. In the OP's case, it is a Neptune Suite. This is how I check the odds of getting a handicap suite when I have booked a guaranty. If there are none available then I can relax about possibly getting one assigned to me.

At what cost? Are you saying someone needing an accessible cabin could get upgraded to the next category (including Neptune) without paying for the upgrade?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When you do an online booking via the Holland America site you can choose the "I need an accessible cabin" box. If there are no accessible cabins in the category you have chosen it comes back with a message saying so, and that they have upgraded you to the next available category. In the OP's case, it is a Neptune Suite. This is how I check the odds of getting a handicap suite when I have booked a guaranty. If there are none available then I can relax about possibly getting one assigned to me.

I did a "dummy" booking for a vista suite on a January Rotterdam sailing. There were no accessible cabins and the message that comes up is: "Accessible staterooms are sold out in your selected category. Please select another category or contact us for assistance." If what you say is accurate, one could easily game the system and get a Neptune suite for the price of a Vista suite.

Oh wait. I start from a suite guaranty, so maybe that's the trick.

I didn't know you could do a guarantee if you absolutely had to have an accessible cabin.

I should also add that I was never able to get the free HC upgrade booking online, but I was able to by talking to HAL on the phone, or through a travel agent. Word of caution, you must inform the TA of this program because some didn't know what I was talking about and would just put you in a higher level at the HIGHER price.

Edited by Tinknock50

Oh wait. I start from a suite guaranty, so maybe that's the trick.

I didn't know you could request a Suite QTY and also request an accessible/HC cabin.

So you requested a Suite QTY (lowest category) and asked for a HC cabin, and were upgraded to a Neptune Suite (paying the lowest Suite price such as a Visita Suite)? Was this after the final payment date, and how close to sailing?