Do we need birth certs too?

zorky12

First time cruise. We got our passports this summer and first time using them. Will I need to bring a birth cert also or anything else besides a drivers license. At the airport when they check your photo ID is a passport ok for that? Sorry we are newbies to this.

At the airport, you can show them either your driver's license or passport. Either one will do. When you get the the ship, you will only need to show your passport to check in.

When you arrive at the different ports, you will usually only need to take your driver's license and room key (sign and sail card) with your when your get off of the ship. That is all that should be required to get back on the ship. The cruise ship will let you know what is required. All I have ever taken off of the ship with me was my driver's license and sign & sail card. I keep my passport in the safe in my cabin.

At the airport, you can show them either your driver's license or passport. Either one will do. When you get the the ship, you will only need to show your passport to check in.

When you arrive at the different ports, you will usually only need to take your driver's license and room key (sign and sail card) with your when your get off of the ship. That is all that should be required to get back on the ship. The cruise ship will let you know what is required. All I have ever taken off of the ship with me was my driver's license and sign & sail card. I keep my passport in the safe in my cabin.

Not necessarily true now for airports. Jan 22, 2018 some licenses will no longer be accepted for ID to fly even for a domestic flight. If your state is not compliant you will need a military ID or passport.

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

Not necessarily true now for airports. Jan 22, 2018 some licenses will no longer be accepted for ID to fly even for a domestic flight. If your state is not compliant you will need a military ID or passport.

And those states are Kentucky, Maine, Missouri, Montana, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and Washington (State, not DC). If you live in one of these states come January 22nd then you need a passport to fly domestic as well as international, according to TSA.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Forums mobile app

And those states are Kentucky, Maine, Missouri, Montana, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and Washington (State, not DC). If you live in one of these states come January 22nd then you need a passport to fly domestic as well as international, according to TSA.

If one lived in one of those states and no more extensions are granted then they could obtain a passport card for domestic flights. (And if they live in Michigan or Washington state they could get Enhanced Drivers Licenses, which are REAL ID act compliant even if the remainder of the state's licenses are not.)

Passports are all you need to travel!

Why would anyone bring a birth certificate with them when it is totally not needed? Passports are valuable items. You don't just "lose " them. You keep them safe and that's that.

But people do just lose them, they also have them stolen or damaged. I remember reading one thread on CC where the poster had left her passport sitting on a chair in an airport en route to the cruise. Her cruise was saved by a family member faxing her birth certificate to her. If one wants to carry the birth certificate as a back up it is a prudent move (although I'd probably carry a copy or have a copy on my phone).

That's true. I forgot about that. I don't live in one of those states, so it's something I don't think about. Your post is a good reminder.

I'll usually put my birth certificate in a separate bag, just in case the passport gets lost somewhere along the way!

I do too. Although I am very careful, you never know if something could get lost or stolen. My biggest fear while cruising is to get to the port and not be able to present my passport. I am OCD about it, so that should never happen.

IF you treat the passport like a valuable item you would not leave it on a chair!!

As a back up to the passport I might keep a copy of the passport but I'd never bring a birth certificate which is of no use in a foreign country.

People are human and ship happens. If you've never lost anything valuable at any time in your life you are either very young or very fortunate. The copy of the passport would not get you onboard at embarkation, so you'd lose your cruise (unless of course you had someone back home that could fax it to you). If you happen to have your passport stolen while in port your copy also would do you no good, the cruise line would likely put you ashore since you are required to have your documents available throughout the cruise, whereas with a copy of your birth certificate you could remain onboard (presuming a closed loop cruise of course). Having a back up is always a good idea if the back up is readily available and the cost isn't too great (one of the reasons we've kept our EDL's current, they are a great back up and they allow us to go up to Canada without having to get our passports out of the safe deposit box).

I am neither young or merely "fortunate".

I am just careful.

It is not hard to keep track of a passport between home and embarkation at the port. IF others find that difficult then I suppose having all sorts of back up plans would be necessary for them.

A passport is good everywhere. No birth cert. or drivers license needed for ID. Bring drivers license if driving.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

However, than you must take your passport off the ship. We keep ours in the safe until the last day and use a D.L and S&S card. I also agree with Riff. We are adults and always secure our passports as in "honey, do you have the passports?"

I am neither young or merely "fortunate".

I am just careful.

It is not hard to keep track of a passport between home and embarkation at the port. IF others find that difficult then I suppose having all sorts of back up plans would be necessary for them.

To each his own.

However, than you must take your passport off the ship. We keep ours in the safe until the last day and use a D.L and S&S card. I also agree with Riff. We are adults and always secure our passports as in "honey, do you have the passports?"

Same here.

Passport in safe, DL on person on shore.

First time cruise. We got our passports this summer and first time using them. Will I need to bring a birth cert also or anything else besides a drivers license. At the airport when they check your photo ID is a passport ok for that? Sorry we are newbies to this.

All you need is your passport.

Having grown up in a foreign country where it was required to always have my alien registration on my person, it became second nature to always make sure I had it with me. Just like always making sure to have my wallet or phone, I never left home without it. Same thing with my passport when I needed to have it.

Oh, boy, in case you are just very confused. I use only my passport now for any ID at cruise or airport. I only take my drivers license if I plan to rent a car. I never take my birth certificate. We rented a car this past Sept in Cayman.

This is incorrect information Pennsylvania has been granted an extension until October, 2018.

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id

The Department of Homeland Security has a website posted above that gives you real time update of state compliance in regards to the Enhanced State IDs. You can toggle by state to find your state of residence and whether it is of compliance, under review, applied for and granted an extension through October 2018, or non compliant.

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id

The Department of Homeland Security has a website posted above that gives you real time update of state compliance in regards to the Enhanced State IDs. You can toggle by state to find your state of residence and whether it is of compliance, under review, applied for and granted an extension through October 2018, or non compliant.

The REAL ID compliant licenses being issued by some states are not Enhanced Drivers Licenses, which are presently only issued by 5 states. A REAL ID compliant drivers license will get you into property under Federal jurisdiction but may not be used as a stand alone document to prove citizenship and identity (which is what an EDL does do).