Ships returning to FLL at 6am

kywildcatfanone

Hi folks,

About to take my first cruise in over a year, and just booked the Regal out of FLL in March. I've noticed the last year or so they show the arrival at 6am (it used to be 7am). Are they starting express walkoff before 6:30am now?

I'm looking at using an award ticket for a flight down and back from home, but the return time flight is at 7:45, and I wanted to see if express walk off does begin at 6:30, I could probably make that work.

Anyone done express walk off around 6:30am?

Thanks!

Simple answer "No", but there will be a few that say "yes", other that say, "go for it."

too many factors to come into play for a short time window like that.

I think your request is the earliest flight ever asked so far.

what if there is any delay at all? port authority? CBP? princess? TSA? Ships in port? way too many factors you are not in control of. Enjoy breakfast in the morning instead of running like a chicken with your head cut off.

Might as well book the later flight, as you most likely will miss the 7:45 one.

Wow I would never consider a flight that early.

Even if arrival is at six, you must wait until the ship is cleared and my experience in Port Everglades is that there are a lot of people who do express walkoff. Therefore unless you are at the front of the line you will wait while the line processes through and each departing guests card is scanned which isn’t the quickest process. Then you have US customs, which should be quick that early assuming they are adequately staffed, which I have experienced isn’t always the case. Then you need to get a taxi.

No way for me!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've done walk off's several times to FLL. We never made it much before 8am. The problem you have the ship must be on time and I do not think Princess will have permission to disembark before then. Also; I noticed Customs personnel are just getting into position to check everyone out. Even if that worked out you still have to get to FLL at least hour to hour and half before the flight to get thru TSA. I usually can find a flight and have made it at noon or a little after and have make it home before 5pm.

I started a thread ....have you ever booked an early flight AND not made it....please post when sitting at the airport waiting standby or shelling out more $$ for another flight. Let us know what happens

No one seems to ever follow up. Probably too embarrassed for asking the question and ignoring everyone's advice and missed everything costing more money and increased stress levels.

The posters that say they will book a later flight after asking never have an issue.

I've done walk off's several times to FLL. We never made it much before 8am. The problem you have the ship must be on time and I do not think Princess will have permission to disembark before then. Also; I noticed Customs personnel are just getting into position to check everyone out. Even if that worked out you still have to get to FLL at least hour to hour and half before the flight to get thru TSA. I usually can find a flight and have made it at noon or a little after and have make it home before 5pm.

When she ship arrived at 7am, and walkoff started around 7:20 or so, we were always in the first group off, and always at the airport by about 7:45, so I'm only going off of that, thinking that 6:20am or so off, would be about 6:45 or so at airport.

I do think a 7:45am flight would be nerve racking, but my past experience has shown that it is doable if all factors work, which I know isn't always the case, and you do need to exercise caution. I normally don't book a flight before 9am, just to be safe. I'm just stuck right now because my award ticket options aren't giving me more choices.

We just got off Regal on 12/17. The early walk off was very early. I don't really recall the right time, but it was before 6:45. We did walk off. But, Regal was late getting in (we went to the Turks and Caicos) to drop off a sick PAX, so the early walk off time was way behind. I would not try to make a flight so early. Have a back up if you do.

This is happening as I write

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2577112

Don’t forget if the flight is leaving at 7:45, they will most likely be boarding between 7:00 and 7:15am, with the door closing by 7:30. Plus you will have to get through security at the airport. Oh, and were you planning on checking any bags?

Hi folks,

About to take my first cruise in over a year, and just booked the Regal out of FLL in March. I've noticed the last year or so they show the arrival at 6am (it used to be 7am). Are they starting express walkoff before 6:30am now?

I'm looking at using an award ticket for a flight down and back from home, but the return time flight is at 7:45, and I wanted to see if express walk off does begin at 6:30, I could probably make that work.

Thanks!

Things need to go right and I would not recommend it but it can be done, we have made flights that early (7:30-8:15) many times.

The Regal and the Royal plan to arrive at the pilot station at 5:00AM with Walk off "A" normally starting between 6:15 and 6:40. If your in the first group off there is no wait at customs and no wait for a taxi. The airport is a ghost town before 7AM so checking bags and security is not a problem. From our experience if your at the head of the spear it does not make any difference how many ships are in port.

The problem is, is it worth it to you to try to make that early of a flight because if your not completely comfortable with plan B then it can ruin your cruise worrying about it.

The best plan is any flight after 11AM.

As for getting OFF the ship....that's one thing.....How about the CBP people, who HAVEN'T had their coffee yet, or getting to the airport to find that a 1000 other people had the same idea as you, OR those in the security line whose ID don't match their tickets ( happened to us last time), had to wait behind them to straighten that out ......OR if you are the lucky chosen one to have the "extra" security screening? I bought some cookies for the kids from Disney, going through security, they took my bag and took me aside to open the bag and "investigate" the cookies. My advise any flights BEFORE 8 am....get OFF the cruise ship at your last port, fly back to Ft Lauderdale to get your chosen flight

OP for the number of posts you have....you should know better than to ask this question

Hi folks,

Thanks!

Airports require you to be through check-in and security 90 mins. before take-off, an hour might do in a pinch, so your flight time probably doesn’t work.

Don’t forget if the flight is leaving at 7:45, they will most likely be boarding between 7:00 and 7:15am, with the door closing by 7:30. Plus you will have to get through security at the airport. Oh, and were you planning on checking any bags?

We would have one checked bag to deal with.

When she ship arrived at 7am, and walkoff started around 7:20 or so, we were always in the first group off, and always at the airport by about 7:45, so I'm only going off of that, thinking that 6:20am or so off, would be about 6:45 or so at airport.

And then you need to check in. What airline are you planning on flying? Taking an example, United has a 45-minute check in cutoff time at FLL. So, you have 15 minutes to check in, THEN you need to clear security, THEN you need to find your gate. Now, I wasn't there that early last time I flew out of FLL, but the whole process of door-to-gate took me over 2 hours. Even if you halve that time, you're not making it.

Things need to go right and I would not recommend it but it can be done, we have made flights that early (7:30-8:15) many times.

The Regal and the Royal plan to arrive at the pilot station at 5:00AM with Walk off "A" normally starting between 6:15 and 6:40. If your in the first group off there is no wait at customs and no wait for a taxi. The airport is a ghost town before 7AM so checking bags and security is not a problem. From our experience if your at the head of the spear it does not make any difference how many ships are in port..

This has been my prior experience as well. If you are in the first group or two off, no issues with customs/taxi's etc. It's part of why I asked, we would be in the first group off in this scenario.

We would have one checked bag to deal with.

I would take a later flight.

Got back on 12/20 on Royal. Ship was at the pier about 5 30 but didnt start leaving till just after 6 40.

We were one of the first off and not much line at customs but with only 3 customs officers at that time line was going to back up real quick.

I started a thread ....have you ever booked an early flight AND not made it....please post when sitting at the airport waiting standby or shelling out more $$ for another flight. Let us know what happens

We were on the same Regal Halloween cruises together and we made an 8:00AM flight. We were at the gate a few minutes before 7AM. Now, I don't recommend it but if every thing goes right it is possible. We can change flights at no extra costs so our travel plans are flexible.

OP for the number of posts you have....you should know better than to ask this question

Not trying to be difficult, just looking for opinions for those who have chosen to do walkoff on 6am returns to FLL. As I stated earlier in the thread, I've booked 9am flights and had plenty of time to spare with a 7:20am walk off time. But I know that there are any number of factors that play into it, so I was asking for any recent cruisers to share theirs. Seems like a fair question to me.

I realize many people just assume you need a flight after noon to not have any stress, and generally I would agree with that, but for those who have a need to get home as early as possible, I think it's entirely possible. Like I said, just looking for comments from those who have done express walk off recently and what was their experiences.

Not trying to be difficult, just looking for opinions for those who have chosen to do walkoff on 6am returns to FLL. As I stated earlier in the thread, I've booked 9am flights and had plenty of time to spare with a 7:20am walk off time. But I know that there are any number of factors that play into it, so I was asking for any recent cruisers to share theirs. Seems like a fair question to me.

I realize many people just assume you need a flight after noon to not have any stress, and generally I would agree with that, but for those who have a need to get home as early as possible, I think it's entirely possible. Like I said, just looking for comments from those who have done express walk off recently and what was their experiences.

Earlier this year, we sailed into Port Everglades with an 11:15 AM flight out of FLL. We were ineligible with a flight that early to use luggage valet (by 15 min) so decided to request early walk off. We barely made our flight .... luckily, we sailed through the lines at the airport as we purchased first class tickets and there was a separate line for checking our bags and security. Without that on our side, we'd have definitely missed our flight. I would never even consider a 9 AM flight even though many times, it is possible to make a flight that early. After that latest experience, I would never even book a flight that was earlier than the recommended time posted on the cruiseline's website. I know that does create a lot of wasted time for many but it is also protection in case there is a delay with disembarkation ... that is, when you book your flights through their website. So, anyhow ... that was our experience.

Hi folks,

Thanks!

I have only one answer - you are stark raving bonkers!!!!!

DON