interesting upsell offer today

AZJerry

We're booked in a Dolphin deck mini-suite on a 15 day Hawaii cruise in March. This morning an offer comes through to put us in the Owner's suite for only a mere $1200/pp. :eek:

Now that suite is big and nice and all but the upgrade cost is what it cost for one of to go in the mini-suite in the first place. After semi seriously considering for a few seconds, we decided to skip it.

I checked a little while ago and see the suite is gone and a mini has opened up.

At least that was for a suite! :D We had an upsell offer on a 20 night cruise we did a couple of years ago. AU $1300pp to go from a midships inside cabin to a balcony, and the only available balcony cabins were as far forward as you could get. :eek: We passed!

We're booked in a Dolphin deck mini-suite on a 15 day Hawaii cruise in March. This morning an offer comes through to put us in the Owner's suite for only a mere $1200/pp. :eek:

Now that suite is big and nice and all but the upgrade cost is what it cost for one of to go in the mini-suite in the first place. After semi seriously considering for a few seconds, we decided to skip it.

I checked a little while ago and see the suite is gone and a mini has opened up.

Interesting

Are you sure it was 1200pp not 120?

A friend just emailed me all excited that they just scored an upgrade for $240 total to the Owners Suite for their Hawaii cruse.

It is their anniversary and first cruise.

After this month's cruise on the Royal in a premium suite, I'm interested in upsell opportunities on our future cruises. But I doubt we'll ever get another priced where we will take it. We did enjoy the breakfasts at Sabatini's, the Club Class dining (which perhaps you already have), and other perks of being in a suite. At $1,299 per person (plus the additional cost of insurance based on the price), I'd have to pass even for a 15-day cruise.

I just looked at the offer again. It was actually an upgrade to the Grand suite, not the Owner's, $1229 pp. I'm curious what your friend upgraded from.

I'd have JUMPED on a Grand Suite upgrade at that price!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'd have JUMPED on a Grand Suite upgrade at that price!!

While it would destroy my future cruising budget I just might have as well.

Think for a second: the Grand Suite is unsold for a peak-season 15 night Hawaii cruise three months away. And Princess is willing to let it go for the cost of a mini suite + $1299/per person. That is almost certainly well less than half of what they normally get for that suite--the very largest on the ship.

I agree with most of those below and would have passed it over as that would wreck our cruising budget. While the upgrade from a mini to a suite is definitely attractive, $1299/pax is just too steep for me. Maybe some day we will get some offer that is more reasonable. This next cruise we received an upsell to move from a mini to a club class which we did do as the extra cost was almost zero. Now we will find out if it is worth the extra clams but I doubt it.

Our first cruise was a window cabin followed by a promotion we did not realize to a cabin similar to a mini. We were surprised when we opened the door not expecting it. The result was that we "had" to have at least a balcony from that day on. Fast forward a few years and we were upgraded to a mini but we realized it before boarding. So we think we have to have a mini now. Point being that if we were upgraded to a full suite, it may be terribly intoxicating and result in future cruises in a suite. A point we really don't want to find out.

This seems to be the going rate for an upsell to a suite these days. On our recent 12-day Med on the Pacific, we got an upsell offer from a balcony to any avail suite for $999 pp. Too expensive for us so we passed. The suites eventually sold so at least a few passengers were okay with that price. We have accepted several upsells in the past, but they were much less expensive.

Our first cruise was a window cabin followed by a promotion we did not realize to a cabin similar to a mini. We were surprised when we opened the door not expecting it. The result was that we "had" to have at least a balcony from that day on. Fast forward a few years and we were upgraded to a mini but we realized it before boarding. So we think we have to have a mini now. Point being that if we were upgraded to a full suite, it may be terribly intoxicating and result in future cruises in a suite. A point we really don't want to find out.
We had a full suite earlier this month on the Royal. I think we need to book an inside for our next cruise to bring us back to reality. I did the same thing after we sailed in our first balcony cabin and DH said he could never sail again in an outside cabin. I taught him a lesson by booking an inside cabin again. We still had a great cruise.

$1229 per person for two weeks in the Grand Suite is a great deal IMO. Not many of the ships have those, and it would be wonderful to have the extra room on such a long cruise.

Keep in mind that it's $1229 pp in addition to what you paid for the original cabin.

Agreed, that makes a smoking deal for a cabin that was going for ~ $7600 pp. But that's still way more than we're willing to spend. Until a couple of weeks ago we were booked in a balcony when we decided that the extra space would really be nice for a 15 day cruise with a lot of sea days. So, we managed to get the last Emerald deck mini (the only ones we like). Had we been offered the $120 pp someone else got we would have jumped on it. Oh, well.