How to track/search for a Price Drop over one year out from cruise ??

MPSimecek

Hi All..

I just booked our 3rd RC cruise for March of 2019. I needed the date and itinerary that would work for our family, but this one was quite a bit more than we've paid in the past.

Since it is so far out, I figure that I can be searching for price drops etc for the next year plus until final payment.

Can you all please tell me your tips and tricks to monitor those "price drops" and how you've successfully saved on a booked cruise doing this? I'm new to this. In the past, the price I booked at was already so crazy low, it never dropped...

This one is higher so I think it could drop before sailing.

Edited by MPSimecek

I check the RC website and just do a “mock”booking every couple of days. We have been VERY lucky over the years as we book way in advance... sometimes 18 months or more. If you find a lower price, just call and request an adjustment. Generally, it is easy as can be and they just send you an email invoice with the lower price. If you have paid off the cruise before the final payment date they usually just credit the card you used to pay... but I have read of others having different experiences.

Good luck... persistence in checking has paid off for all but 2 of our cruises!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How did you book? Direct with RCCL? If you booked through an agent you need to contact the agent when you see a price drop.

I have found the best way to monitor for price drops is to join the Roll Call for the ship. People often post there about price drops and you can get email notifications when someone posts on your roll call. I don't have the time or desire to check daily for price drops. Many do and fine for them.

Just remember if your cabin class is sold out there will never be a price reduction.

I've gotten a price drop once on a sold out cabin category. We were in a virtual balcony interior on Anthem, they were sold out, saw an Ocean View for about $50 less, so called in to upgrade and save the $50. Agent on the phone put me on hold and came back and said even though the category was sold out, they showed a price for the virtual balcony interiors at $175 less than what we paid, $125 less than the Oceanview and gave us the choice of upgrading or staying with our room and getting the lower price.

I agree with looking for companies that will monitor price drops for you - we signed up for one for our April 2018 cruise and sure enough got an email saying our fare had dropped. Also, make yourself a note to check fares on Black Friday AND Cyber Monday. We got price drops both of those days for our cruise.

Just remember if your cabin class is sold out there will never be a price reduction.

Surprisingly enough, that is not true:

I've gotten a price drop once on a sold out cabin category. We were in a virtual balcony interior on Anthem, they were sold out, saw an Ocean View for about $50 less, so called in to upgrade and save the $50. Agent on the phone put me on hold and came back and said even though the category was sold out, they showed a price for the virtual balcony interiors at $175 less than what we paid, $125 less than the Oceanview and gave us the choice of upgrading or staying with our room and getting the lower price.

Surprisingly enough, that is not true:

On one of my 2019 cruises, my cabin category is sold out. How do I find out if there is a price drop on mine? Other categories have dropped in price. I cannot see cabins available in my category and the reps at Royal give the sold out shpeal every time I call to ask.

On one of my 2019 cruises, my cabin category is sold out. How do I find out if there is a price drop on mine? Other categories have dropped in price. I cannot see cabins available in my category and the reps at Royal give the sold out shpeal every time I call to ask.

Sold out categories are not in the game anymore - no pricing adjustments for them - so no drop possible!

There must have been at least 1 cabin not sold yet - else they do not build a price for it at all!

It was probably on hold but not sold yet.....

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik

The way price drops happen for sold out categories was explained to me like this.

The last selling price of the cabin remains in the system but does not get adjusted like the other cabins do for regular category price adjustments.

The price drop occurs when there is a promo change that affects the pricing in all cabins. An example would be going from 50% off the second guest (really a 25% savings) to 30% off each guest. In this case there would be a 5% savings.

There does not have to be a cabin on hold in the system as I have heard of this happening with Royal suite which only has the one cabin.

The way price drops happen for sold out categories was explained to me like this.

The last selling price of the cabin remains in the system but does not get adjusted like the other cabins do for regular category price adjustments.

The price drop occurs when there is a promo change that affects the pricing in all cabins. An example would be going from 50% off the second guest (really a 25% savings) to 30% off each guest. In this case there would be a 5% savings.

There does not have to be a cabin on hold in the system as I have heard of this happening with Royal suite which only has the one cabin.

That sounds reasonable.

There is a significant price drop for our cruise in February 2018. Should we call our TA to ask for price adjustment or directly RC?

You must arrange price drops through your travel agent.

There is a significant price drop for our cruise in February 2018. Should we call our TA to ask for price adjustment or directly RC?

If you are past final payment you likely won’t get the credit but call your TA