Being asked to give extra tips

PaulaSB12

Ok, so it's just outstanding service that isn't included. Thanks for clarifying!

I don’t know what point you are getting at, but great service is like a beautiful woman; hard to describe but you’ll know when you come across it.

So the new increased amounts being charged are not sufficient?

And when they raise them again in a year, will be told they are still not sufficient and we should feel compelled to give more?

Giving more is not compulsory, it is a personal decision to extend additional amount based on the services you received and should be a reward for efforts to make your vacation memorable, not just handed out based on guilt and regardless of services provided. You *may*, but that's just my opinion. Rewarding the best keeps them the best. Rewarding mediocrity begets mediocrity.

If you feel the staff are not compensated appropriately, your issue is with the cruise line. Write them a letter. Waitstaff have to handle more tables and room attendants have to cover more rooms than in the past, so that coupled with yearly near double digit percentage increases means they should be doing quite well.

The work is long but it would seem they are happy with the compensation plan otherwise they would not return.

I don't recall overtly being asked to give additional tips on a ship anyways.

I don't see where it is any of my business. It is an issue between the employee and employer. What an employee is compensated is no more any guest's business than it is the staff's business what we paid to be on the cruise.

I don't see where it is any of my business. It is an issue between the employee and employer. What an employee is compensated is no more any guest's business than it is the staff's business what we paid to be on the cruise.

Also true. But I am saying in general *if* someone is bothered how a company treats employees to direct their correspondence to the company. Telling paying guests isn’t useful.

Has anyone noticed a difference in how people leave their cabins? I would never expect that a cabin steward picks up my dirty underwear and other stuff from all over the place. We clean up our waste by ourselves and make it quick and easy for him/her. For me this is a better sign of respect for the hard working people than leaving a mess twice a day and tip more. Many cabins look like after an earth quake and it takes the cabin stewards twice the time or more to clean it. Especially if children are involved. This disrespectful behavior of many guests makes the crew work more than the average standard of 8 hours per day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Funny, (or really not so funny), we have cruised with family members, (my step-son and his wife), who think the cabin steward is their personal maid. Stuff all over the place - what a mess.

Over the years, we have taken all of our grandchildren on cruises. The two teenage children of the above couple were our worst experience. They learned well from their parents. Fortunately, they had their own cabin and I told the steward to only change towels in the bathroom and if stuff was all over the bed, he didn't have to make it. I tipped him extra for even having to go into their room.

Funny, (or really not so funny), we have cruised with family members, (my step-son and his wife), who think the cabin steward is their personal maid. Stuff all over the place - what a mess.

Over the years, we have taken all of our grandchildren on cruises. The two teenage children of the above couple were our worst experience. They learned well from their parents. Fortunately, they had their own cabin and I told the steward to only change towels in the bathroom and if stuff was all over the bed, he didn't have to make it. I tipped him extra for even having to go into their room.

That could be a fun experiment; point out a random cabin and pay the attendant not to service that one. :')

Sorry but thank you cards do not pay bills. The envelopes are provided as an option if you would like to express monetary gratitude to your service staff. It's not an obligation, but it is appreciated, much more than a thank you note. The crew is paid marginally in Panama wages which equates to roughly $4 per hour. They rely on gratuities for their livelihood and for their families. I don't think it hurts anyone to give a little extra for all the long hours they work. Additionally, I have no respect for people who go to Guest Services on the last day of the cruise only to complain and demand that gratuities be removed from their bill. These people should never set foot on a cruise ship & probably have never worked a day in their lives in the service industry. Chintzy cheapskate people! So if you decide to go on a cruise, be kind to your service staff. They work very hard to make a good experience for you.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Yep more generalised insults on a tipping thread what a surprise.

I worked for years in service industries (guess I still do) but in a country where staff get paid not expected to beg for more.

Sorry but thank you cards do not pay bills. The envelopes are provided as an option if you would like to express monetary gratitude to your service staff. It's not an obligation, but it is appreciated, much more than a thank you note. The crew is paid marginally in Panama wages which equates to roughly $4 per hour. They rely on gratuities for their livelihood and for their families. I don't think it hurts anyone to give a little extra for all the long hours they work. Additionally, I have no respect for people who go to Guest Services on the last day of the cruise only to complain and demand that gratuities be removed from their bill. These people should never set foot on a cruise ship & probably have never worked a day in their lives in the service industry. Chintzy cheapskate people! So if you decide to go on a cruise, be kind to your service staff. They work very hard to make a good experience for you.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Maybe thank you cards do pay the bills.

After all they go a long way towards new contracts and promotions, or so the crew have told me.

I don’t know what point you are getting at, but great service is like a beautiful woman; hard to describe but you’ll know when you come across it.

I had asked whether good service was included in my cruise fare. A poster sent me a link listing what was included in my fare and gratuities was not included but rather it was listed as a separate charge. Since Royal states that gratuities is to reward crew members for their exceptional service, I associated exceptional service with something that I need to pay for - ie, it's not included in my base fare.

Separately, I have been on two cruises. On my first cruise the room steward was incredible. We didn't ask for a single thing but he would take the time and initiative to keep us stocked with ice, replaced the wine our TA provided when it was done and do just nice things. He was personable and so friendly. In contrast, I couldn't even tell you who our room steward was on our cruise this past March. Totally not memorable. Yet, they both received the same amount in gratuities. Royal does not collect gratuities for outstanding service as they state. It's for wage top-up and to fund other recognition awards (maybe). I'm fine with this, but don't tell me one thing when it's something entirely different. BTW, this won't stop me from sailing with Royal. I'm just pointing out the obvious.

Maybe thank you cards do pay the bills.

After all they go a long way towards new contracts and promotions, or so the crew have told me.

I’ve read that PAXS from Australia and certain European countries don’t tip, and have their pre-paid gratuities removed from their onboard folio. Is that true?

Maybe they just give thank you cards.

I’ve read that PAXS from Australia and certain European countries don’t tip, and have their pre-paid gratuities removed from their onboard folio. Is that true?

No auto grats on any of the ships here anymore.

But when there are I leave them alone, can’t say what others do, unlike many on CC who constantly tell you what others do about tipping.

I also tip extra for anyone who makes my cruise EXTRA special.

But I’ve had a few crew tell me that if they had to choose they’d take a recommendation to management over a cash tip.

Last cruise I did that had auto tips every accent I heard asking to have them removed wasn’t Aus or NZ.

No auto grats on any of the ships here anymore.

But when there are I leave them alone, can’t say what others do, unlike many on CC who constantly tell you what others do about tipping.

I also tip extra for anyone who makes my cruise EXTRA special.

But I’ve had a few crew tell me that if they had to choose they’d take a recommendation to management over a cash tip.

Last cruise I did that had auto tips every accent I heard asking to have them removed wasn’t Aus or NZ.

Wow! Maybe it’s just an excuse for some PAXS to be cheapskates?:eek: But, somewhere I read a CC poster who was on a 35 day cruise with his DW, justify removing their auto gratuities because it would have cost them too much for the 35 day Guess saying the gratuities would put a real dent in their wallets.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Included in the fare so you don't have to worry about them while on the cruise.:D

Tipping extra to those that deserve it is still nice though, but comment cards do them a better job for renewed contracts and rises.