Being asked to give extra tips

PaulaSB12

i prepaid by tips before starting this cruise on the Ovation of the seas in the information for the last day asking for extra tips is this normal for royal do ask for more tip money?

It happens, although most of the staff I've run into are more concerned with your rating of their performance. If you are inclined to tip more because the service went above and beyond, do so. It is totally at your discretion. Don't feel obligated beyond that....

Why the envelope?

I regularly tip more but I always hand the money over with their name written on the envelope separately.

I dont know if Royal are skimming money from the sealed envelopes or if they get an added bonus for getting an envelope? (Or am I just over thinking it which I hope is true).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why the envelope?

I regularly tip more but I always hand the money over with their name written on the envelope separately.

I dont know if Royal are skimming money from the sealed envelopes or if they get an added bonus for getting an envelope? (Or am I just over thinking it which I hope is true).

So you don´t have to bring your own envelope.

To make it easier for us.

To save me the trip to guest relations and get envelopes and to save the guest relations staff from frequent envelope requests.

Yeah I think you might be overthinking this.

Your prepaid tips are a fraction of what you'd pay at a nice hotel and restaurant. Standard is 20% for good service and upwards for excellent service. Think about how much three meals at a nice restaurant would cost you, housekeeping, room attendant to bring you ice, entertainers etc etc. $14.50 a day pp is a steal. These folks bust their butts working 10+ hours a day, every day for up to 7 months at a time. Can you imagine working 70 hours per week with not a single day off? Open up your wallet and show some gratitude.

Why the envelope?

Definitely overthinking it.

We usually bring envelopes with us for extra tips at the end of the cruise. I like to be able to hand the envelope to each crew member I want to give a little extra to, and the envelope usually includes a brief personal note of thanks.

Your prepaid tips are a fraction of what you'd pay at a nice hotel and restaurant. Standard is 20% for good service and upwards for excellent service. Think about how much three meals at a nice restaurant would cost you, housekeeping, room attendant to bring you ice, entertainers etc etc. $14.50 a day pp is a steal. These folks bust their butts working 10+ hours a day, every day for up to 7 months at a time. Can you imagine working 70 hours per week with not a single day off? Open up your wallet and show some gratitude.

This applies to the US only! At least try to see it from a global perspective, ships crew is from all over the world as well. Most people from the rest of the world would never tip 20 % and up in hotels and restaurants, 5-10% is a fair global average I would say.

If you pay the suggested tip, either in advance or during the cruise, you've done your duty. It's totally up to you if you feel the need to tip additionally. No..the cruise line doesn't "skim" from the tips...they go to the folks who served you.

i prepaid by tips before starting this cruise on the Ovation of the seas. In the information for the last day l got an envelope asking for extra tips is this normal for royal do ask for more tip money?

The envelopes are normal, but extra tips are not required.

Lighten up Francis!

What is my cruise fare for?

What is my cruise fare for?

It doesn't pay much for the tipped staff, they rely on tips for most of their income (similar to wait staff in a stateside restaurant). That said there is no obligation to tip over the recommended amount unless you desire to.

Only if you go by the guidelines of those working for tips. Most travel and money sites say 15% for good service...20% for very good service...more for exceptional service.

Can't remember the last time I received anything other than as expected service. Especially when a selling point of the business is their stellar service. If exceptional is what the business expects their employees to deliver, then exceptional service is what I expect when I walk in. I will tell you there are more instances of me being tempted to leave two pennies (the customary code for very unhappy) that me thinking the service merited more than 20%.

Between this and your posts on the other tipping thread, I would just comment that wording like that does little to get others to come around to seeing your point of view. Oh and by the way, back in my medical residency days there were plenty of weeks when I worked over 70 hrs without a single day off so I don't have to use my imagination to know what it is like. And there are still weeks when I work over 70 hours only I do it knowing that there is absolutely no room for mistakes. I don't look for, or expect, any sympathy from anyone. We all make a choices in life then we live with them.

Then why didn't Royal raise it higher if it is still insufficient?

My career in sales brought my $$ in via 100% commission. I liked it that way since I paid myself directly for the extra work and effort I always put forth. There were some reps that just didn't feel like putting in the additional work...and their paychecks would show that result. If I were on a common salary with those "other" reps...would I feel my extra effort was rewarded when they received the same paycheck? Not so much. :o

The idea of extra income from additional tips...puts the same spin on things. I have had fantastic cabin attendants, and some not so much. Guess who got the extra dollars in their pockets...and at the same time, we enjoyed that extra effort they put forth. If they were all paid the same? :confused:

I initially thought I'd just tip in cash at the end of the cruise, but I found using the envelope made things classier and less awkward for public displays. I didn't know I could get more at guest services, that would have been handy.

I find it classier as well to use the envelopes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can imagine it well... My last day off was December 11th, and my next day off is January 3rd (Maybe)

This is not the criteria for tips. Sorry.