Being asked to give extra tips

PaulaSB12

...the last day l got an envelope asking for extra tips is this normal for royal do ask for more tip money?

To quote OP and to directly respond to this, OP you were not asked to give extra tips. Semantics, maybe.... but you were not asked for extra tips in addition to what you had pre-paid. :) I checked your previous posts and it appears this may have been your first time cruising with Royal - please know that the envelope was made available to you in case you felt you wanted to leave additional tips, but it is not required by any means.

To quote OP and to directly respond to this, OP you were not asked to give extra tips. Semantics, maybe.... but you were not asked for extra tips in addition to what you had pre-paid. :) I checked your previous posts and it appears this may have been your first time cruising with Royal - please know that the envelope was made available to you in case you felt you wanted to leave additional tips, but it is not required by any means.

Agree...and very well said.

i prepaid by tips before starting this cruise on the Ovation of the seas. In the information for the last day l got an envelope asking for extra tips is this normal for royal do ask for more tip money?
I do not equate receiving a few empty envelopes that explain that if someone has provided extra special service that you can provide an extra tip if you choose to do so is "asking" for more tip money. Those envelopes do come in handy if you did not bring your own and you do choose to provide something extra. I think that it a tad more classy to place the cash in an envelope rather than just handing someone cash while they are working. We write a note on the envelope. Our trip last week we asked our 3 sons 14, 17 and 20 if they wanted to give some of their own money to the steward who cleaned their cabin. It was actually heartening to have them do so without any complaints. Makes you feel like something has registered with them.

If you pay the suggested tip, either in advance or during the cruise, you've done your duty. It's totally up to you if you feel the need to tip additionally. No..the cruise line doesn't "skim" from the tips...they go to the folks who served you.

I'm in full agreement.

Carnival Paradise - August 2015 - 5 nights

Carnival Splendor - August 2016 - 6 nights

Carnival Magic - August 2017 - 8 nights

Royal Caribbean Harmony of the Seas - August 2018 - 7 nights (booked)

Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas - August 2019 - 9 nights (booked)

We have always had to ask for these envelopes for tips for the concierges in the Diamond lounge and suite lounge.

For us it would be to our advantage if they just leave them out somewhere.

Just saying

I have never NOT had one or two on my bed the last day.

They are always out on the desk at Guest Services.

They are also on the desks of the Concierges. They are not fools. ;)

I do not equate receiving a few empty envelopes that explain that if someone has provided extra special service that you can provide an extra tip if you choose to do so is "asking" for more tip money. Those envelopes do come in handy if you did not bring your own and you do choose to provide something extra. I think that it a tad more classy to place the cash in an envelope rather than just handing someone cash while they are working. We write a note on the envelope. Our trip last week we asked our 3 sons 14, 17 and 20 if they wanted to give some of their own money to the steward who cleaned their cabin. It was actually heartening to have them do so without any complaints. Makes you feel like something has registered with them.

want51228-1BzSWD1495378623.png

It doesn't pay much for the tipped staff, they rely on tips for most of their income (similar to wait staff in a stateside restaurant). That said there is no obligation to tip over the recommended amount unless you desire to.

Everything else.

Yes, I understand. Poster was adding up a bunch of stuff including entertainers as reason suggested tips are not enough.

Don't forget to bring singles with you. You'll need them to tip the guys at the curb who help with your luggage, the room service waiters, the guides on your excursions, etc. We always pick up a pack of $50 singles from the bank before we leave on our cruise. And, we also bring thank you note cards for our room steward and waiters so we can give them cash and a friendly note.

i prepaid by tips before starting this cruise on the Ovation of the seas. In the information for the last day l got an envelope asking for extra tips is this normal for royal do ask for more tip money?

Nothing *asked* you for more money. You were given envelopes to make it potentially easier for you IF you wanted to do so.

The envelope(s) are provided for your convenience. If you do not wish to leave any additional tips, you can ignore the envelope(s).

If you need more, they are available at Guest Services.

Yep.

So you don´t have to bring your own envelope.

To make it easier for us.

To save me the trip to guest relations and get envelopes and to save the guest relations staff from frequent envelope requests.

Yeah I think you might be overthinking this.

Yep yep.

Probably because they can guilt trip a few into it.

Leaving envelopes is a guilt trip? That’s a low threshold for guilt!

I suspect that the folks that I hand money could not possibly care any less whether it is in an envelope or not.

Might be easier to keep in a pocket. Easier to. Get back to them if there’s a name on it and it falls out of a pocket.

Probably because they can guilt trip a few into it.

I agree although the steward and assistant who look after your cabin during the cruise may not always be the first stewards or staff into your cabin after you have left,they may not even be servicing the same cabins or same deck for the next trip.

Cash left in the cabin can be collected by anyone, cash in envelopes with a name on is theft if taken and kept by another staff member.

Envelopes left last night may be great for those who want to tip extra discreetly but In my opinion if grats have been paid then envelopes should not be left in the cabin as a norm but only left when requested because in theory your onboard tips for exceptional service have already been taken care of and paid in full so a tip envelope left without request is in fact a way of guilt tripping some people into leaving extra money that is not necessary or money they may regret leaving once off the ship.

The envelopes are in case you would like to tip extra to your steward, waiter, etc. I make thank you cards with thank you in different languages for my extra tips for the waiter and cabin steward if they went above and beyond, but use the envelopes for the asst. waiter or a favorite bartender or maitre 'd if he did something extra for us. You do not have to tip above your prepaid tips.

We usually bring envelopes with us for extra tips at the end of the cruise. I like to be able to hand the envelope to each crew member I want to give a little extra to, and the envelope usually includes a brief personal note of thanks.
I bought a package of 10 Thank You notes (with envelopes) at the $1 store. That lasted me for three cruises. Since we don't drink, the only people who I give extra tips to are our waiter, his assistant, and our room steward.

Nothing *asked* you for more money. You were given envelopes to make it potentially easier for you IF you wanted to do so.

Yep.

Yep yep.

Leaving envelopes is a guilt trip? That’s a low threshold for guilt!

Might be easier to keep in a pocket. Easier to. Get back to them if there’s a name on it and it falls out of a pocket.

This is so generous and purely customer oriented from Royal! I suggest they should also publish a guideline for additional tips for convenience and let you prepay it. Tip till you drop!

Sent from my iPad using Forums