What can you bring back ?

Hmmorelli

i live in Canada but im flying into the USA LA to meet my mom to go in our cruise end of Jan our cruise goes into Mexico then coming home we come back to La and I fly home to Canada are there different rules when going from Mexico to USA to Canada and what are the limits bringing back home are they different then going from Canada to Mexico or Canada to USA ?

i live in Canada but im flying into the USA LA to meet my mom to go in our cruise end of Jan our cruise goes into Mexico then coming home we come back to La and I fly home to Canada are there different rules when going from Mexico to USA to Canada and what are the limits bringing back home are they different then going from Canada to Mexico or Canada to USA ?

Are you staying in LA, or just transferring through (and your bags are booked through)? If you're only in transit in LA, then the only restrictions are the Canadian ones that depend on how long you are gone, not where you've been. However, if you are collecting your bags and staying in LA, then you also have to abide by the US restrictions.

There are no different customs limits if you were in the USA or in Mexico. It is all based on the number of days since you left Canada until your return back into Canada.

If you are away for a total of 7 days or more you can bring up to $800 CAD equivalent back with you, without paying duty or taxes. (From the CRA site)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Check the US CBP (Customs and Border Patrol) web site. You may be considered in transit, or you may have to meet US customs regs. The CBP can give you all the details that you need.

Are you staying in LA, or just transferring through (and your bags are booked through)? If you're only in transit in LA, then the only restrictions are the Canadian ones that depend on how long you are gone, not where you've been. However, if you are collecting your bags and staying in LA, then you also have to abide by the US restrictions.

If you get off the ship in LA you will clear US customs upon debarking - unless you have somehow arranged with the cruise line for them to directly route your bags to Canada without your collecting them.