Hope you don't think this is a silly question..

luv2cruz62

We are doing a B2B in January, visiting St. Thomas, St. Maarten (already know that both are US Currency) Falmouth Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

Do all of these ports accept American currency?

Thanks (and thanks for not rolling your eyes) ;p:rolleyes:

We are doing a B2B in January, visiting St. Thomas, St. Maarten (already know that both are US Currency) Falmouth Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

Do all of these ports accept American currency?

Thanks (and thanks for not rolling your eyes) ;p:rolleyes:

Yes. US dollars are widely accepted in the Caribbean.

They may give you change in local currency so it is best to take small bills if paying in cash so you don't end up with "cash" you can't spend anywhere else . If needed, you can exchange US cash for smaller bills ($1, $5, $10) at the customer services desk on the ship. You will need cash if you plan to grab a cab in port.

They will not accept torn, worn or marked bills plus bills over $20 so make sure you have bills that are in good shape without any markings. . Sometimes they will give you change in their currency particularly expect coins of the local currency.

As everyone has said, they all will gladly take US currency. I always bring small bills with me, lots of $5 and $10 bills and some $1 so it's not as much of an issue to make change. One cab driver turned and said "I can't make change" as we approached our stops and I was able to him "don't worry about it".

They will not accept torn, worn or marked bills plus bills over $20 so make sure you have bills that are in good shape without any markings. . Sometimes they will give you change in their currency particularly expect coins of the local currency.

Are new three dollar bills okay?

They may give you change in local currency so it is best to take small bills if paying in cash so you don't end up with "cash" you can't spend anywhere else . If needed, you can exchange US cash for smaller bills ($1, $5, $10) at the customer services desk on the ship. You will need cash if you plan to grab a cab in port.

I've noticed at the Passenger Services Desk a "Globe" for donations to some Princess-sponsored charity. Most of the cash visible inside the globe is non-U.S. It is apparent that many people drop of the various currencies that they acquire on port visits into this donation box.

Thanks for all the info! Great idea for having smaller bills! My Son-In-Law, who is with the British Navy, was in the Caribbean for hurricane relief. He said he had some currency left over from there that he would give me. I think he said about 23,000 dollars....I thought "Wow! How generous of him!" then figured out it's about $2.30 lol..

Thanks for all the info! Great idea for having smaller bills! My Son-In-Law, who is with the British Navy, was in the Caribbean for hurricane relief. He said he had some currency left over from there that he would give me. I think he said about 23,000 dollars....I thought "Wow! How generous of him!" then figured out it's about $2.30 lol..

23,000 East Caribbean dollars is about $8,521 US dollars.

23,000 Jamaican dollars is about $185 US dollars.

So you might want to find out what currency your SIL is referring to.

I figure since you're talking about a $3 bill it's humor anyway.

Tom

Yes, but some people get really touchy about certain things, and I was concerned my answer would touch those people the wrong way. :evilsmile:

OK my apologies! (Now I am rolling my OWN eyes!) I was mistaken at the amount...it was 250 Jamaican dollars not 23000....my bad (and so is my memory) ;p

Most of those ports will also take Canadian currency, as well (depends on the shop). That said, the exchange rate can be poor. Lots of times we see prices posted in five or six currencies in the souvenir shops, especially in places like Cozumel that have tourists from all over.