Considering Azamara Cruise

mj_holiday

This will be our first cruise with Azamara. Really like the itinerary but wondering about other things on the ship. Such as the cabin levels I am looking at say the beds are twins made into a Queen - are these comfortable beds?? Also, would like to know the height of the table in the sitting area for Veranda staterooms. Any area of staterooms to avoid because of things like noise. In general what are the times of the various dining venues in the evening - it sounds like there is a less formal area - Windows - just looking at options for those evenings when coming in from an excursion, just too tired for anything much. Anything else about Azamara that would be unique to the line.

Yes, twins made into a Queen unless you request otherwise. They are comfortable. Table on balcony is large and high. Good for eating breakfast, but they do take up space.

MDR is open until 9pm as is The Patio (a nice option to eat outside with table service). Windows open until 9.30pm. MDR is smart casual. The Patio and Windows is casual. Room service burgers and quesadillas (sp?) are great!

Phil

The beds are really comfortable.

There are 5 dining options on the evenings. Windows is the buffet restaurant and it only serves until 8:30 pm. Not sure what time it starts in the evening as we never dine there - maybe 6:00? It is pretty casual, but is very nicely laid out in the evening.

Discoveries is the main dining room with waiter service. It’s free-time dining - I think it starts at 6:30pm and you can be seated up until 8:30ish, or maybe even 9:00pm. It’s ‘smart casual’ - certainly not formal. Hardly any men wear jackets, most just wear trousers and shirt. Women wear separates or short dresses.

There’s also the Patio which in the evening is a grill. It’s next to Windows and you can go into Windows to get starters and/or desserts to give you more choice. It’s fairly casual too.

Lastly there are the 2 speciality restaurants -Prime C (steak house) and Aqualina ( mainly Italian). These are charged at $30 a head, but are free if you are in a suite. You do need to book for them, preferably as soon as you embark to have a good choice of dates/times. There are some good offer packages for these such as any three meals in a speciality restaurant for $70. There is also the Chef’s Table at €95. This is a paired wine and food meal - see https://www.azamaraclubcruises.co.uk/sites/default/files/pdfs/chefs_table.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The beds are very comfortable - you wouldn't know they are twins fixed together.

We love Windows for those evenings when you fancy being quick/very casual - or when the theme of the buffet really appeals (Indian night especially!).

If you like the itinerary, don't worry about the on board experience- there's nothing to dislike (unless you want wall-to-wall activities laid on or lavish musical-theatre-style shows every night) - just friendly fellow travellers, interested in the destinations and happy to chat / share experiences.

Note tho’ that although Discoveries closes at 9, that’s the latest time you can go in. The dining room remains open for those already in it. We often leave at 9:45. /10:00pm.

The same thing applies in the Speciality Restaurants.

We have regularly been there until after 10 pm

Those Patio and Windows closing times seem awfully early and not what they used to be. Has it changed?

Phil

Yes Windows removes everything prompt at 8.30 this cruise. We got no dessert the other night as we did not realise the new times - no big deal but also no last orders warning. Vacuum cleaners starting at about 8.35 alerted us!

Sunset Bar also closes much earlier. We thought maybe because it was the Christmas cruise. Hope so

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just don't remember it closing that early. Perhaps my memory is failing, but I'm sure it's been 9pm at The Patio.

Phil

Then both our memories are failing Phil! 😉It's always been 9pm at The Patio on our past cruises. Maybe it's a recent change?

Windows definitely closed at 8:30 in Oct/Nov on the Journey. We normally eat in Discoveries, but having heard from others that the Indian Buffet is worth trying, we did just that. We went in to Windows at our normal dining time, 7:50ish, and were very disappointed when the food disappeared at 8:30pm.

The food was wonderful, but we wouldn’t use Windows again in the evening as that’s far too early for us.

If the times have changed it may be because people that eat in Windows eat early. We were the last people in there at 8:30, and it was pretty empty when we went in.

Windows empty at 7:50 pm? That's not my experience, but perhaps it's due to the guest nationalities on a particular cruise? Most Brits and Europeans generally seem to dine later than Americans, so if there were a lot of Americans on your cruise then maybe they had already eaten by then.

Too busy enjoying the cruise to run around asking about everything, sorry. I made the comment I had made an assumption there was another reason, not a permanent change. Probably wrong I now realise. If I can be bothered I will include it in the comment form but it’s not a big deal for us, just need to remind ourselves of the new timing.

Too busy enjoying the cruise to run around asking about everything, sorry. I made the comment I had made an assumption there was another reason, not a permanent change. Probably wrong I now realise. If I can be bothered I will include it in the comment form but it’s not a big deal for us, just need to remind ourselves of the new timing.

Got it. If I think of it tomorrow, I'll ask on Quest. 8:30 vs. 9 doesn't matter to us. 9:30 would allow having a dessert after the early show, but I have no expectation of that happening..