Onboard Seaside: Ship B+ to A- everything else C- to C+

The Admiral

I think rather than saying "buffet only area" you should be clearer and say the "normal buffet area", since people are not eating from the buffet.

What they really should do is either a) move the overflow dinner seating to the deck 16 buffet and keep the deck 8 buffet as a full buffet for dinner, or b) only convert half of the deck 8 buffet to leave the other half as a full buffet for those who prefer that experience (plus those who may want to eat something at the buffet before or after their sit-down dinner).

MSC has really angered two sets of people with this policy. Not to mention that their literature says that they have an extensive buffet 20 hours a day and the deck 16 buffet only being available for dinner and later doesn't match what they've advertised.

The deck 16 buffet is open for breakfast and lunch... We liked breakfast there better than 8

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

I have been reading all the comments about the Seaside. As I read I am thinking that my standards must be pretty low. We spent Christmas 2016 on the Divina (our first MSC cruise) with the fantastica experience. We were assigned seating in one of the main dining rooms. The 4 other people assigned to our table were quite nice, one of the women spoke very little English but did try to speak to us. My husband and I have no problem talking among ourselves and we were not bothered by the language barrier. We enjoyed the food, one night we opted to eat in the sports bar having wings instead of the dining room. We were comfortable in our balcony cabin, felt we had enough room. We did have drink coupons but did not find it a hassle since I always had a pocket or bag for them.

Our second MSC cruise was on Meraviglia October 2017, on the Mediterranean. A celebration as I retired October 1. We were in the yacht club, balcony cabin again. We were treated like royalty, ate most nights in the dining room but did try the steak restaurant for a change, we chose to eat dinner one night in the English pub having fish and chips. We enjoyed the food and found we had lots of choices. Most morning we get room service as it takes me some time to get going in the mornings. I had pretty severe arthritis the last few days and I was provided with a wheelchair to use. We had the bracelets which were scanned at the bars outside of the yacht club but I did not feel it was an issue. I was more interested in the ports we were at since it was my first time to Europe.

We are booked on the Seaside march 10,2018 with fantastic experience for 2 weeks. There were no yacht club cabins available. I am looking forward to this cruise, I will eat in whatever dining room I am assigned to, we did prepay for a dinner pkg at 3 restaurants so that will be a change from the dining room. I am not a picky eater so I am sure I will find something to eat, as for the food being hot , as mentioned I just retired in October a registered nurse for 28 years, I am very much used to eating cold food and cold coffee, so I don't notice it anymore. We have been to all the ports already so will spend more time on the ship and my husband is planning to golf at one of the stops.

Yesterday we booked our 4th MSC cruise on the Meraviglia again, yacht club on the 10 night cruise from New York, October 8, 2019. I am very excited about this cruise and the Canadian ports, all ports I have not been to even though I am Canadian and live in Canada!

As I began by saying I think my standards must be pretty low, you will not hear negative comments from me about any of these .MSC cruises. After 28 years working Psychiatry I have learned to not sweat the small stuff. I am happy to be able to be able to take these cruises and will enjoy every day no matter what ��

Sorry for being long winded.

Well put, Vea. We will be joining you on Seaside on 3/10 and very much looking forward to it. We sailed MSC for the first time last March on Divina and loved it (YC certainly helped ;)). Booked Seaside almost immediately after getting back home.

Passengers speak a lot amongst themselves and the dinner and lunch buffet selections and buffet as main dining room has really ticked folks off.

Are there any cooked to order options at lunch such as oriental stir fry where you pick your ingredients or a similar pasta set-up? Or at the least a deli that can have a panini assembled to order? Or a salad bar where they assemble whatever ingredients you choose? These are all options on other US based main stream cruise lines that MSC is attempting to compete against. But then again, none of those other lines have Swarovski crystals built into their steps. :rolleyes:

Mister Bill ... We were given 2 meals for 2 people, whether that had anything to do with complaining to the Voyagers club rep when she told us 1 meal per cabin and letting her know that we had 5 previous cruises with MSC, I have no idea.

Tepanyaki was great as was the food in Butchers Cut.

Thanks, from your and other comments it appears that this is certainly negotiable if you express your displeasure. Plus, if it's actually loaded on your card {one of the only thing that is, it seems) you should be able to use it for both people, even without having to bring it up.

All of this stuff seems to indicate that they just don't do things "smart". Maybe it's a European thing? But this is a North American cruise so they'd better learn how to do things, and quickly.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Thanks, from your and other comments it appears that this is certainly negotiable if you express your displeasure. Plus, if it's actually loaded on your card {one of the only thing that is, it seems) you should be able to use it for both people, even without having to bring it up.

All of this stuff seems to indicate that they just don't do things "smart". Maybe it's a European thing? But this is a North American cruise so they'd better learn how to do things, and quickly.

Hope you have a great cruise, Mr. Bill and are able to write a glowing review.

Where in Westchester?

Are there any cooked to order options at lunch such as oriental stir fry where you pick your ingredients or a similar pasta set-up? Or at the least a deli that can have a panini assembled to order? Or a salad bar where they assemble whatever ingredients you choose? These are all options on other US based main stream cruise lines that MSC is attempting to compete against. But then again, none of those other lines have Swarovski crystals built into their steps. :rolleyes:

Nope, that was one of my suggestions as there are no cooked to order pasta, oriental or meats stations available in their dinner offfering ( I refuse to call it a dinner buffet)

Both at dinner and the buffet the attitude of the line this week has been either eat what’s being offered or you’re out of luck.

In other lines sometimes you say, hey I can’t eat greasy food so can I just get a plain broiled chicken breast or steak and they accommodate you. Here so far it’s a deer in headlights look and then no only what’s in the menu or the alternative dinner offering in Biscayne bay is what you can choose from.

If you’re u have special dietary non fat non gluten needs I suggest you think carefully they say they accommodate special diets

And maybe they do but I wouldn’t bet my whole vacation on it

After being told this morning when I asked that there is always an alternative menu like New York strip or chicken available so we are always satisfied except for Italian night, tonight I did not like the menu I asked if I could have a New York strip or chicken and was told that wasn’t a choice today.

I highly recommend that unless you can afford the Yacht Club or will eat whatever is placed in front of you DO NOT book the MSC Seaside!

THEY ARE EXTREMELY RIGID It’s eat what we offer or nothing there is absolutely no inclination to try and accommodate any reasonable request

But it’s not a North American cruise!

It’s a Caribbean cruise out of a North American port on an Italian ship!

There will be a lot of us Europeans on board plus South Americans, Asians and Russians probably (based on our Divina cruises)!

And we all don’t want the full on American experience!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Nope, that was one of my suggestions as there are no cooked to order pasta, oriental or meats stations available in their dinner offfering ( I refuse to call it a dinner buffet)

Both at dinner and the buffet the attitude of the line this week has been either eat what’s being offered or you’re out of luck.

In other lines sometimes you say, hey I can’t eat greasy food so can I just get a plain broiled chicken breast or steak and they accommodate you. Here so far it’s a deer in headlights look and then no only what’s in the menu or the alternative dinner offering in Biscayne bay is what you can choose from.

If you’re u have special dietary non fat non gluten needs I suggest you think carefully they say they accommodate special diets

And maybe they do but I wouldn’t bet my whole vacation on it

I’m confused as there has been lots of comments made that gluten free was accommodated and there had been great experience in this regard. 🤨

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This will be my last post (for the most part) on the Seaside, my goal has been to share from my perception the great, the good and the bad, but a lot of folks get emotionally attached to MSC and don’t want to hear a dispassionate review.

Forget what you experienced on MSC in the past! I’m relating the reality onboard today’s MSC Seaside and all I’m saying is it falls way short of its own hype and expectations set in the area of food and accommodating ie: going above and beyond philosophy, to ensure a positive guest experience.

I was willing to give MSC another chance, I also admire they’re a family owned conglomerate and I even had my family book with me based on the PR that they were launching Seaside specifically for the Miami based market and in my opinion they have not met their own expectations, just put all my posts together and you will see the areas where they did a great job and the areas where they didn’t.

Unfortunately the areas where they lack to my subjective opinion are important enough for me to recommend you pass on MSC for the foreseeable future, what you ultimately do is up to you Of course.

I would love to have a true alternative to the other south Florida based cruises and hope MSC is that in the future.

And we all don’t want the full on American experience!

You can have an Italian or European experience while offering competitive service and dining options. These are not the same thing. I think the design, the bespoke entertainment, the decor represent "differences" that can be positive. But poor service and making it difficult for guests to have an enjoyable dining experience isn't endearing. Service will improve, you could insert any recent ship name in there for that, new ships with poor service but it works better after a few sailings; but it does seem like maybe there's an Achilles heel for dining<?>

Did you go to the Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle and voice your concerns to ship management? If you're a Black Card, similar question?

You made a very interesting point. However, the meet and mingle parties are typically held at the beginning of the cruise. What they should do is offer to have another session towards the end of the cruise where frequent cruisers, or anybody who wants, can offer concerns and opinions to management. NCL was doing this, but not sure if they are still doing it.

You made a very interesting point. However, the meet and mingle parties are typically held at the beginning of the cruise. What they should do is offer to have another session towards the end of the cruise where frequent cruisers, or anybody who wants, can offer concerns and opinions to management. NCL was doing this, but not sure if they are still doing it.

The purpose of the M&M is for Cruise Critic members to meet each other and possibly meet members of the crew or staff.

We were at the Meet & Mingle on the Seaside inaugural TA sailing. It was held on day 7 to accommodate the few people who boarded in Barcelona. MSC kindly provided free drinks and a cake for all in attendance (invitation only). After a short speech by the captain and the CD, we were invited to meet the captain. MSC controlled the meeting and there was no Q&A.

The M&M we attended on board the NCL Jade was very informal. The CD attended and was more than willing to hear the comments from the 12 people who were there. He even asked for details and said he would follow up on everything. He scheduled a follow up meeting which was to be by invitation only. When the invitations were not sent out as promised, he rescheduled it and then sent us a plate of chocolate covered strawberries!

Points go to NCL.

In another thread, someone who was on the ship said that the alternative menu is available every night. It seems odd to me that there are conflicting reports on this. The few menus I've seen posted do have the alternative choices on them. Also, there is a post of a video of the buffet on deck 16 and I'm quite surprised how big it is and how many choices were offered. It was at lunch time but I can't imagine it being scaled back that much at dinner. I certainly wouldn't consider it a "kiddy buffet". With that said I don't think they should be forcing people to dine in the deck 8 buffet. Instead, if they really need that space for overflow I'd make it an "anytime" dining room so those who wish to have that option can go there.

In another thread, someone who was on the ship said that the alternative menu is available every night. It seems odd to me that there are conflicting reports on this. The few menus I've seen posted do have the alternative choices on them. Also, there is a post of a video of the buffet on deck 16 and I'm quite surprised how big it is and how many choices were offered. It was at lunch time but I can't imagine it being scaled back that much at dinner. I certainly wouldn't consider it a "kiddy buffet". With that said I don't think they should be forcing people to dine in the deck 8 buffet. Instead, if they really need that space for overflow I'd make it an "anytime" dining room so those who wish to have that option can go there.

I am so glad that you posted this. I've been reading (for the last 2 days) how tiny the buffet was at Biscayne Bay Buffet. I read that it only had hotdogs, hamburgers, salad and bread. Since the main buffet on deck 8 seems to have changed to a MDR every evening, the buffet lovers have only one choice now, which is the Biscayne Bay Buffet for dinner. I was really please with the lunch, and have to agree that it would be hard to believe that they would scale it back for dinner. With that said, I now get to possibly tell my husband that he's not going to have to eat hamburgers and hotdogs for dinner for 7 nights on Seaside when we go in just 2 days. :)

As I said before my goal is to be fair and call it as I see it.

New feedback:

MSC Roy Yamaguchi Teppanyaki highly recommend for dinner or a nice lunch!

Best on sea or land Bar None!!!!! In terms of quantity, preparation, attention to detail and quality of the food it’s superb!

Good to hear and nice it is open for lunch.

Two completely different views...one from the Admiral, who is currently on the Seaside and complaining about the food choices and the everyday menu being eliminated on multiple evenings so they were left with zero food choices for dinner and the staff was very rigid.

Sort of goes against the flow of the MSC flag waver Cam, who states that the staff on MSC always try to accommodate you, has always been friendly and whose hospitality can't be compared to any of the mainstream lines since this is an area where MSC excels.

Now, who should we believe? I'm leaning more to the side of the Admiral, who is living it first hand.

I'd agree with you. Lots of generalizing by Cam - some which is accurate - some not.

NCL has done that rarely from our experience and from reports although I agree it is an excellent idea.

There were some reports from POA and Jade as I recall having the 2nd meeting towards the end.

The NCL M&Gs have gotten shorter with less time for questions but it will vary depending on the HD.

The purpose of the M&M is for Cruise Critic members to meet each other and possibly meet members of the crew or staff.

We were at the Meet & Mingle on the Seaside inaugural TA sailing. It was held on day 7 to accommodate the few people who boarded in Barcelona. MSC kindly provided free drinks and a cake for all in attendance (invitation only). After a short speech by the captain and the CD, we were invited to meet the captain. MSC controlled the meeting and there was no Q&A.

The M&M we attended on board the NCL Jade was very informal. The CD attended and was more than willing to hear the comments from the 12 people who were there. He even asked for details and said he would follow up on everything. He scheduled a follow up meeting which was to be by invitation only. When the invitations were not sent out as promised, he rescheduled it and then sent us a plate of chocolate covered strawberries!

Points go to NCL.

Our recent Divinia M&G was the best we've ever had. Drinks, snacks, cake, group picture. No, they didn't have an open Q&A as I recall but captain, HD, CD, others stayed for questions one on one. Captain went to each family there to talk. NCL = never from our experience. Closest we've had is when they allowed bridge tours for MG group but no longer.

I would like to thank The Admiral for his thoughts. Not everyone is the same and you will sometimes find that 2 people on the same cruise will have totally different views. Neither are wrong but it’s up to the individual reading to balance them and make up their own mind !

I would like to thank The Admiral for his thoughts. Not everyone is the same and you will sometimes find that 2 people on the same cruise will have totally different views. Neither are wrong but it’s up to the individual reading to balance them and make up their own mind !

Hear! Hear manime!

I appreciate both positive and critical (after all that's part of the name of this site! :D) views being posted.

Two different people definitely can have totally different experiences. Also what is a minor annoyance for one, could be a deal breaker for another (and vice versa)

CC is an invaluable resource for cruisers - I've found it a wonderful source of information! It's up to each of us to take away what we will from the views provided :halo:

How odd my post from earlier that was posted here has now gone! ... :mad:

The only night on the Xmas cruise where the menu was different was the Med/Italian night which did not have an alternative on it, that is not to say that if you ask there would not be anything else.

The special menu on Christmas eve also did not have the daily selections...and on both nights, we did ask, and they could/would not even make a Caesar salad, let alone the rotisserie chicken or strip steak...We also noticed that the first 4 or 5 nights (on the nights kids selections were made available), they had freshly breaded chicken nuggets which were incredible. The last couple of nights it seemed to switch to the frozen variety...

We haven't been on NCL in a while but I remember the officers giving out their cards with their phone extensions on them and them saying to call them if there were any problems and then they said "and we mean it." They said they wanted to take care of the problems on board and to not read about it on Cruise Critic ....lol.

I've been reading Cam's posts for years and I wonder if he cruises MSC enough that he is well known on board and for that reason his cruise experience may be different/better than others'.

I am so glad that you posted this. I've been reading (for the last 2 days) how tiny the buffet was at Biscayne Bay Buffet. I read that it only had hotdogs, hamburgers, salad and bread. Since the main buffet on deck 8 seems to have changed to a MDR every evening, the buffet lovers have only one choice now, which is the Biscayne Bay Buffet for dinner. I was really please with the lunch, and have to agree that it would be hard to believe that they would scale it back for dinner. With that said, I now get to possibly tell my husband that he's not going to have to eat hamburgers and hotdogs for dinner for 7 nights on Seaside when we go in just 2 days. :)

Let us know how the buffet is for dinner if you go! I generally eat in the buffet most nights so it would be a deal breaker if the selection is extremely limited.

In another thread, someone who was on the ship said that the alternative menu is available every night. It seems odd to me that there are conflicting reports on this.....

I’ve highlighted the above because I think it captures one of the real downsides the MSC cruise experience - Inconsistency.

It does not at all surprise me that the alternate menu would be supplied inconsistently. Nor would it surprise me if two people on the same cruise had different experiences trying to order alternate meals, or if the alternate menu was provided but passengers got “sorry- only order off main menu tonight.”

I suspect the alternate dining menu issue will iron itself out with time, but inconsistency is something those selecting MSc should be aware of as a possible challenge.

And for those sailing in YC, you are not exempt from the MSC lack of flexibility. We tried to order a pizza with just mushroom. The poor concierge had to call us back to say we could only order the choices on the menu and could just pick off the items we didn’t want. Seriously, that happened.

Please don’t get me wrong. I’m not a MSC hater. For the right price I’ll gladly sail her a third time, but I do so knowing the shortfalls I might encounter. It’s a great value for the dollar ship.

The seaside is still the cheapest option for spring break sailing this year. I have considered booking except kids sail free is offered which will put the ship over the 5,000 passenger mark and I have trepidation about whether a 160 gt MSC ship can handle those numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk