Question for Kazu or other Embassy Suite Fans

1ANGELCAT

We have stayed at that property more than a dozen times and never had any major issues. But I will admit that its not one of the best Embassy Suites. As to breakfast, on Sat and Sunday mornings the hotel is usually completely full and the breakfast is certainly a busy place. The hotel is a victim of its own popularity with cruisers. If the place is so bad, one wonders why its often booked-up many months (sometimes nearly a year) in advance.

Hank

Like Tiggipaws and westcoastcruisers, our experience was not good. I realize that this hotel is beloved by many here on CC (the reason I booked it) and why I don't usually say anything about it. A good friend loves the hotel too. But we will definitely not be considering that hotel for future stays. If they would at least apologize or respond to reviews on Trip Advisor, that would make a difference. But because of their attitude and our bad experience we won't be giving them another chance. Here's my review on Trip Advisor written a year and a half ago.

The first room we were given reeked of cigarette smoke. Asked for a different room and had to take a room with 2 double beds instead of the king we had booked. That's ok, and there was no cigarette smoke but the sheers on the window were covered with tiny bugs. Some kind of moths maybe. At this point we were too tired to complain and ask for yet a different room. I managed to get rid of most of them by opening the window and shaking the sheers outside, so most of them flew off. Disgusting.

The hook on the bathroom door fell off. The bathroom walls and door especially were worn and nicked. Rust in some areas. The room was too warm and lowering the A/C didn't help (strangely, there's a ceiling fan in the other room but not the room where you sleep). Too much road noise to sleep.

Unlike other hotels, they charge to pick up and take you to the airport and the cruise port. We felt pushed by the valets to pay for parking, even though my husband was only dropping me off and then he was leaving immediately to return our rental car. They eventually agreed to "allow us" to park near the door for 15 minutes with the stern warning we would be charged if we took longer. It took less than 5 minutes.

The Manager's Reception is a great deal if you're a big drinker. The breakfast was good, but the pastries were stale.

For what Embassy Suites charges, I am very disappointed. There's no excuse for the problems we had. We will be looking elsewhere for our next trip to Fort Lauderdale in January.

I'm expecting to hear from those who will say they've stayed dozens of times with no problems....but I'm just giving my experience.

Things can go wrong in any hotel. The big question is, how do they handle it? It sounds like this hotel is great if your room is clean and in good shape when you arrive. But if there's a problem, it is not dealt with well.

So yes, lots of people have had good stays there. Doesn't mean the bad ones didn't happen. Last winter, our room was clean and everything worked OK. But the hotel was full, and "chaotic" doesn't begin to describe the breakfast experience. I think this time we'll eat at Joes in the shopping center.

Just to clarify for those concerned about smoke.

ES is totally non smoking and has been for some time now. It was non smoking when we were there for our Rotterdam cruise.

Hotels are sort of like cruises, I think.

Some can have a great time and others there at the same time don't. Each person's experience is valid.

I have hit one room in my multitude of stays where I wasn't pleased and they changed me right away.

Breakfast experiences will vary depending on when you choose to go. I'm an early riser and just want coffee. When DH is ready we go to breakfast which is usually at a less peak time ;)

The location is great and for those who don't care for/about breakfast or the manager's reception, there is a Hyatt behind the ES now.

Since I like my breakfast ;), that Hyatt has no appeal for me (I have checked it out) and I usually can get a better price as I am very watchful on rates. Hey, it's US $. We Canadians need to be watchful :D

May we all have great pre-cruise or post-cruise stays wherever we choose. ES suits DH just fine and that's good enough for me ;)

Things can go wrong in any hotel. The big question is, how do they handle it? It sounds like this hotel is great if your room is clean and in good shape when you arrive. But if there's a problem, it is not dealt with well...

Exactly. I can overlook a lot of things if there's an apology and friendly attitude. We got neither from start to finish. I think they know people will keep coming, so they don't care about the few who have problems.

Edited by Cruising-along

Exactly. I can overlook a lot of things if there's an apology and friendly attitude. We got neither from start to finish. I think they know people will keep coming, so they don't care about the few who have problems.

Carolyn...don't blame you...we luckily have never had a major problem....and we are ..or at least I'm an early riser...so breakfast is usually great...no crowds if you eat early enough...LOL..

We have stayed at the Hyatt Place and while the rooms are nice...the lobby and breakfast area are way too small to handle all the guests who are either leaving on a cruise or coming back from them...last time we stayed it was a complete zoo...bad enough to say I would not stay there again....at least the lobby of the ES is large and can handle a crowd...

I recall reading about a renovation at ES last year. Were the rooms refurbished, or just the lobby/restaurant areas? We're booked there in February for a brief overnight - arriving late and departing early but still am hopeful that our rooms won't be run down. I haven't stayed at the ES since my first HAL cruise in 2008, and at that time it was fine. Due to short stays and guest turnover, it seems that there might be a problem with wear and tear with all the coming and going of cruise passengers?

I was wondering....is it possible to see the cruise port from the Embassy Suites? With HiltonHonors I can choose our room. Suggestions for a view of the port if there is one?

There's a little balcony where you can get a view of the cruise port. We faced the street, so I walked to the balcony to see what the port view was like. You could identify ships in the distance, but the view was partly obstructed by buildings, IIRC.

I recall reading about a renovation at ES last year. Were the rooms refurbished, or just the lobby/restaurant areas? We're booked there in February for a brief overnight - arriving late and departing early but still am hopeful that our rooms won't be run down. I haven't stayed at the ES since my first HAL cruise in 2008, and at that time it was fine. Due to short stays and guest turnover, it seems that there might be a problem with wear and tear with all the coming and going of cruise passengers?

I don't know if all the rooms were refurbished or not but we noticed some refurbishment in our room when we stayed there in March, 2017.

I was wondering....is it possible to see the cruise port from the Embassy Suites? With HiltonHonors I can choose our room. Suggestions for a view of the port if there is one?

Rooms on the southeast corner would be best. You can see the ships at the close terminals pretty good....others not so well. I posted a picture of the Koningsdam from my ES balcony on my blog. The picture is from room 929. A lower number would be better. 920 or so.

f8922505009fb5f8d44749dfb12ea6bd.jpg

I don't know if all the rooms were refurbished or not but we noticed some refurbishment in our room when we stayed there in March, 2017.

Thanks very much for your reply. We're arriving in the evening so am hoping we won't end up with the least desirable rooms. However, it is for just a quick sleep and breakfast before we're off to PE in the morning for the real start to our vacation.

Can someone direct me to the phone number for the taxi company to take us to Port Everglades please?

I would ask on the Florida Departures board, or perhaps do a Googles search.

The cab companies all have repeating numbers. For example...777-7777 seemed to be a very commonly seen company. 444-4444 was another.