First Time on a Super Ship

Holmie

I've recently booked my first cruise on a large ship (Oasis). What differences can I expect between this size and the smaller ships?

I had someone in a Facebook group tell me to make sure I book my dining. Does dining work differently on Oasis? I just want a set dining time in the MDR. I'm not interested in any of the specialty dining options.

What are some "can't miss" items on Oasis?

And I know that shows can fill fast and it's best to reserve seats ahead of time on Cruise Planner, but can anyone tell me when shows become available on Cruise Planner?

What about drink packages? When do those open up for sale? My upcoming cruises are both over a year away, but I am anxious to get things booked because I don't want to miss out on anything!

If you want set dining, early or late, it works the same as on other ships. No reservations necessary.

Can't miss - Do not miss the shows, especially the shows unique to RCI and Oasis....like the ice show and Aqua Theater shows. Be sure to make reservations for the shows. Reservations open about 90 days before sailing. for the Aqua Theater show, get there early. The nice canvass seats go quickly.

Not sure about the drinks packages. I don't know when they open for purchase.

There's no set time for the various items to open for purchase, just keep checking the Cruise Planner.

Book the Aquatheater show as early in the cruise as you can because it sometimes gets cancelled due to weather. This way you will have more chances to see it.

Here's the thing with the MAMMOTH ships...there is a LOT to do....so if you're trying to do it all, you will need to schedule it in advance....

If you are going on a cruise to relax and have a good time, you can do it without a huge amount of prep. There are always "standby" lines for shows, if you decide to go without a reservation. Seats are NOT assigned for anyone, even with reservations! It's simply a space issue. Lots of folks make all the reservations, but never show up.

Unless you're an anal planner, you'll be fine to "wing" it.

If you want set dining, early or late, it works the same as on other ships. No reservations necessary.

Can't miss - Do not miss the shows, especially the shows unique to RCI and Oasis....like the ice show and Aqua Theater shows. Be sure to make reservations for the shows. Reservations open about 90 days before sailing. for the Aqua Theater show, get there early. The nice canvass seats go quickly.

Not sure about the drinks packages. I don't know when they open for purchase.

I can't imagine going on a cruise ever where I have to book for shows ahead of time. That is why I will never ever go on what the OP calls super ship.

DON

I can't imagine going on a cruise ever where I have to book for shows ahead of time. That is why I will never ever go on what the OP calls super ship.

DON

Very interesting and helpful.

Please tell us more about your specific cruise dislikes.:rolleyes:

Here's the thing with the MAMMOTH ships...there is a LOT to do....so if you're trying to do it all, you will need to schedule it in advance....

If you are going on a cruise to relax and have a good time, you can do it without a huge amount of prep. There are always "standby" lines for shows, if you decide to go without a reservation. Seats are NOT assigned for anyone, even with reservations! It's simply a space issue. Lots of folks make all the reservations, but never show up.

Unless you're an anal planner, you'll be fine to "wing" it.

I like to have a general overview of what I want to do before leaving for a trip. I’m not sure if/when we will do a big ship again, so I want to experience as much of it as possible. My husband isn’t the most extroverted/outgoing person, so I fear he may not like the giant ship. I’ve got 700-odd days before I’m on this ship, so I’ve got a ton of time to plan, and I’m sure I will plan and replan before it gets here.

I’m not super worried about shore excursions. The only one I’m interested in is the Labadee zip line, but I’ve got to get myself in good enough shape do be able to do that one. But I’m a show lover, so I don’t want to miss out there. I’m the type, on small ships, to show up super early to shows to get first-third row seats, so the idea of reserving shows is new/odd to me.

You can post on the RCI Cruise Forum for more response

Royal Caribbean International

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I thought about that, but decided here would be better. I’d like feedback about big ships in general.

Not necessarily Oasis or even RCI. Like... tendering. How long does is take to get to shore from a big ship? Is there a noticeable increase in wait time because of the sheer size. How about the motion? Is it true that you really don’t feel it much? That’s what I’ve heard a lot of people say, but I want to know if people who suffer from motion sickness feel the same.

I've recently booked my first cruise on a large ship (Oasis). What differences can I expect between this size and the smaller ships?

I had someone in a Facebook group tell me to make sure I book my dining. Does dining work differently on Oasis? I just want a set dining time in the MDR. I'm not interested in any of the specialty dining options.

And I know that shows can fill fast and it's best to reserve seats ahead of time on Cruise Planner, but can anyone tell me when shows become available on Cruise Planner?

What about drink packages? When do those open up for sale? My upcoming cruises are both over a year away, but I am anxious to get things booked because I don't want to miss out on anything!

The biggest difference is that it's not a "ship." It's an apartment building adjacent to an amusement park on a floating barge.

The biggest difference is that it's not a "ship." It's an apartment building adjacent to an amusement park on a floating barge.

+1 on that comment. We cruise mainly in R-class ships. Currently have 3 cruises booked on them - 2 on Azamara and one on the Pacific Princess. When the small ships disappear, we will stop cruising. Although it shouldn't matter, most of the really big ships are also really ugly.

DON

+1 on that comment. We cruise mainly in R-class ships. Currently have 3 cruises booked on them - 2 on Azamara and one on the Pacific Princess. When the small ships disappear, we will stop cruising. Although it shouldn't matter, most of the really big ships are also really ugly.

DON

You share my dad’s opinion. I might end up feeling the same way, but ya gotta try it to know, right?

You share my dad’s opinion. I might end up feeling the same way, but ya gotta try it to know, right?

Don't let the naysayers...who never sailed Oasis and aren't here to actually answer your questions...get you down. I'm an equal opportunity cruiser. I like anything from yacht size to mega size cruise ships. I could cruise Oasis one week and Azamara the next, and love both equally.

Anyways, Oasis is an amazing experience (says me who has actually been on Oasis). The entertainment is the best at sea; quality you would find in Vegas. Not only that, but the ship is beautiful. They did a great job designing this class...but again, only those who have actually been on board would know that. You too will soon know. :)

Enjoy your cruise. If you have any more questions, ask away. And yes, asking on this board is perfectly fine.

I have been cruising for many decades, have done just about all classes of ships.

The Oasis and Allure were truly fantastic, loved everything about them. You have heard a lot of stupid comments from some cruisers that have never been on either. I have, and believe me, it will be a fantastic experience.

Have fun.

No tendering with Oasis. it only calls at ports where it can dock.

Our big surprise on Oasis was that due to its larger size and larger variety of venues, crowding was actually less of a problem as opposed to smaller ships. We could (and did) go to one of the pools in the middle of a sea day and got loungers right by the nearly empty pool. Could not say that about any other ship we have been on.

Big ship is bigger! Seriously, it’s basically the same, but with more options, larger venues and more people.

We’re sailing in just over 100 days, and the the Entertainment just opened up yesterday. They say 90 days out, but it’s usually closer to 100.

You can choose Dining way ahead, usually when you book. Log in to RCCL and you can see what you’ve been reserved for. We got stuck with MyTime last cruise and we really didn’t like it, as we missed the camaraderie of ‘Table mates’.

Not sure how soon drink packages open up, but well before Entertainment. They want to be sure to give you plenty of time to spend your money!

Our can’t miss would be Park Cafe (deck 8) and Central Park in general! You could miss it if you didn’t know it was there, and it is amazing day & night. The cafe is not usually busy, and they make chop salads and hand carved meat sandwiches to order. Way better than the pizza at Sorrento’s on deck 5.

Happy sailing!