To Upgrade or Not

manime

So the question is, is it worth it to upgrade to yacht club from Aurea or not ? Price quoted to upgrade is £1300 for 2 adults and 1 x 16 year old. One thing that I asked was around the drink package as there seems so many conflicting reports on this. This MSC lady I spoke to said that the deluxe is not included in the yacht club package, only drinks for the yacht club area itself and premium elsewhere. Thoughts ?

It’s my understanding that YC passengers have the Deluxe package, allowing for drinks all throughout the ship, including your mini bar.

Sounds to me like the rep you spoke to is mistaken.

From the MSC website:

All-inclusive meals served at your preferred time in the private restaurant and unlimited drinks in all MSC Yacht Club areas, all bars and restaurants throughout the ship, and from your mini-bar. Exclusive access to The One Sun Deck and Top Sail Lounge are just some of the other privileges. So, if you’re looking for exclusivity and privacy in a world of choice, the MSC Yacht Club is the ultimate solution.”

I would say upgrade but these things are subjective to is that value to you, personally for that cost I'd upgrade. YC is fabulous, although Aurea is also great.

You get the premium/deluxe drinks package in YC which includes all drinks with the exception of any marked 2 ** throughout the ship and the minibar in your room.

So the question is, is it worth it to upgrade to yacht club from Aurea or not ? Price quoted to upgrade is £1300 for 2 adults and 1 x 16 year old. One thing that I asked was around the drink package as there seems so many conflicting reports on this. This MSC lady I spoke to said that the deluxe is not included in the yacht club package, only drinks for the yacht club area itself and premium elsewhere. Thoughts ?

Ordinarily it would be a no-brainer and I would recommend YC above any other category on the ship. I think it depends on what you are already paying and whether you can justify the extra cost to yourself. As a guide, recently I have seen a week in the YC advertised for £1350-1600 per head, based on 2 passengers across various sailings in Europe, the Middle East and Caribbean. So if your existing fare plus the £1300 extra bring you into this ballpark p.p. I'd say you're in the right range and you will be getting a superior product for it.

For sure the Yacht club is a step up, and to this day I deeply regret not taking advantage of a deal I will never see again in my lifetime (c. £900 each for the YC on MSC Fantasia about 18 months ago).

She gave you bad info.

For sure the Yacht club is a step up, and to this day I deeply regret not taking advantage of a deal I will never see again in my lifetime (c. £900 each for the YC on MSC Fantasia about 18 months ago).

So paying about 920 pounds each plus getting 295 pounds of OBC for the two of us was a pretty good deal for a inside YC cabin on the Seaside?

I'd be happy with that price now, yes. Albeit there was no 'Inside YC' category when I was quoted that price 18 months ago, and for clarity the range I listed above has been for YC suites that have a balcony.

So not quite 'like for like' but still a very good deal. Enjoy!:D

Hi Manime,

You have not told us what you are giving up in Aurea? You will be traveling with Your 16 year old and a YC balcony is tight for 3 people. If you are giving up a 2 room suite in Aurelia I would say, Don’t Do It!! We also need to know what ship you are going on??

Hi Manime,

You have not told us what you are giving up in Aurea? You will be traveling with Your 16 year old and a YC balcony is tight for 3 people. If you are giving up a 2 room suite in Aurelia I would say, Don’t Do It!! We also need to know what ship you are going on??

That’s a fair point lol, we are travelling on Seaside 28th July. As for cabin, 1 Aurea room on deck 15 with deluxe drink upgrade.

Hi again,

So you will be in an outside balcony which is comparable to the YC balcony. The YC experience is very different from the Aurea experience. You will immediately notice the feeling of spaciousness and the increased level of service is incredible. The whole concept is over the top with all the niceties and benefits. The dining experience and personal service is definitely worth the 1,300 GBP...especially when you factor in a July sailing. School will be out so Seaside will be loaded with kids and the buffets will be jammed. The YC will give you the peace and serenity that you will value at that time.

Hi again,

So you will be in an outside balcony which is comparable to the YC balcony. The YC experience is very different from the Aurea experience. You will immediately notice the feeling of spaciousness and the increased level of service is incredible. The whole concept is over the top with all the niceties and benefits. The dining experience and personal service is definitely worth the 1,300 GBP...especially when you factor in a July sailing. School will be out so Seaside will be loaded with kids and the buffets will be jammed. The YC will give you the peace and serenity that you will value at that time.

Absolutely agree with all of the above. Given the additional information on your sailing date, upgrade as fast as you possibly can!

Hi again,

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer the query. What with my wife being gluten free it may be better to get more of a personal service within YC. Will give them a call to see what rooms are available. Thanks again.

Please let us know how you make out.

So discussed this wth she who must be obeyed and decided to go for the upgrade. Have now booked yacht club, deck 16, very limited availability, only choice of 3 cabins available. Decided on the reviews up to now and CGTNORMANDIE recommendation that it would be very busy end of July and we really do not want to play hunt the sun bed every day. Thanks everyone for the replies, very much appreciated.

I think you'd made the right choice. We sailed Divina last July and the ship was very, very busy around the pools, the buffet in the day and the bars in the evening. We loved having the tranquility of YC to retreat to. The priority disembarkation and embarkation in port in the hot Caribbean sun was a godsend. The service and personal touches in YC were incredible. The only downside is you are spoilt forever after YC :)

Have a great cruise.

Our experience in the Divina YC last year indicated not worth it. We had sailed in Divina two other times in Aurea and Fantastically levels and were pleased with the cost/service ratio. However the YC was a let down. MSC leads you to believe that you will be provided an exceptional level of service that was never delivered. Their people just did not have the training or sophistication to achieved such promised level of service. The private areas in YC were vey nice. We did enjoy those, specially the private pool areas. We will be sailing in the Sea Side This year, guess at what level, not the YC. They would have to offer at a much lower rate than advertised for us to bite.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...

We booked at Transatlantic on Divina for 2020 this morning. I was really torn between YC and Aurea Suite. We ended up with the Suite, 9010. So much more real estate. There was a $3,000 US or $4,000 cdn total price difference between our suite and a basic YC balcony. The Cruise is the end of March so I don't see too much use for the private pool deck. $4,000 will buy a lot of nice wine and dinners :)

We booked at Transatlantic on Divina for 2020 this morning. I was really torn between YC and Aurea Suite. We ended up with the Suite, 9010. So much more real estate. There was a $3,000 US or $4,000 cdn total price difference between our suite and a basic YC balcony. The Cruise is the end of March so I don't see too much use for the private pool deck. $4,000 will buy a lot of nice wine and dinners :)

That certainly is a big price difference and, as you say, you'll have much more space to enjoy. You're right about the time of year and not getting much of an opportunity to use the private sun deck. The same would apply with a YC booking which you'd only be paying a lot more to not use LOL!