Need Help Deciding on Upsell Offer for the Diamond Princess

partybarbie

We are currently booked in a nice balcony cabin, C224, on the Diamond Princess, for a 12-day cruise. We received an upsell offer ($249.00, per person) to a mini-suite. I'm waiting for a call back from Princess.

Looking for opinions from those that have cruised on the Diamond. Is it worth it to change? How big are the mini-suite balconies? Are some covered, partially covered, or uncovered?

We have such a nice room already, I'm a little undecided on this one. The cruise is currently showing "sold out", so I won't know the exact cabin until Princess calls me back.

If I’m happy with my balcony cabin, i will not accept the offer till I know which cabin is being offered.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It took a bit of searching, but I think I found my answer on an old thread.

We were just on the Diamond on Caribe and loved the balcony. We liked that it was half covered because even when we had rotten weather (rained 5 out of 10 days) we could still go outside and have a look, or open the door for a bit. We actually felt sorry for the minis below us because they wouldn't have even been able to open their door in the rain as it is completely exposed. On 2 of the port days we ordered room service breakfasts and the 4 of us sat out on our balcony taking in the new port we were about to discover.

A nice balcony is more important to us than a larger stateroom. It would be nice to have the bigger bathroom, but we really don't need the sofa or a second television.

It took a bit of searching, but I think I found my answer on an old thread.

A nice balcony is more important to us than a larger stateroom. It would be nice to have the bigger bathroom, but we really don't need the sofa or a second television.

Personal opinion. $500 isn't really worth having a bigger bathroom.;)

Thanks everyone. :) There are a lot of other things I can buy with $498.00. If I get a call back, I'll come back and post. Now if it was a suite, there wouldn't even be a question. I would have snatched that one up! :D

What about a Mini with Club Class? Also, a lot of people rave about the Emerald Mini's which are in aft section of these ships. I've never had a mini. It's about $20/pp/pd for you. Not sure I would do it - only if I got Club Class and Emerald. Probably doesn't work that way. I agree with not liking a fully-exposed balcony.

What about a Mini with Club Class? Also, a lot of people rave about the Emerald Mini's which are in aft section of these ships. I've never had a mini. It's about $20/pp/pd for you. Not sure I would do it - only if I got Club Class and Emerald. Probably doesn't work that way. I agree with not liking a fully-exposed balcony.

Unfortunately, not a club class. :( Still no call back either, so they might be all gone. I got the e-mail around 9:00 am, but I didn't check e-mails until 11:00 am. I called right away, but this cruise has been sold out for months. I surprised they had any open cabins. I'm guessing someone cancelled at the last minute.

We just got an upsell and a move over for our Jan 7th Regal cruise. For $459 an upgrade from a mini to a full wrap around suite.This came two days after final payment.My son who had booked a balcony for the same trip got an email today offering swapping his balcony for an inside cabin, free of charge and $1400 Obc.we both grabbed them.

We just got an upsell and a move over for our Jan 7th Regal cruise. For $459 an upgrade from a mini to a full wrap around suite.This came two days after final payment.My son who had booked a balcony for the same trip got an email today offering swapping his balcony for an inside cabin, free of charge and $1400 Obc.we both grabbed them.

Congrats on the "Suite" life. Maybe you can help your son spend his OBC. ;)

I don't think that is a very good upsell offer...I would have stayed in first choice cabin. I've taken many upsell offers but none at that much for the change.

I haven't accepted it yet. I'm still waiting for a call back. After doing some research on the Diamond mini-suites, I don't think I will accept it. Two others on our roll call have also turned it down.

When I get an upsell, the first thing I do is call and leave a message on the Princess voicemail. Then I do some research on the cabins before they call me back. This way I can at least get in line, since the upsells are on a first response basis.

I've taken upsells before, and if I had a standard balcony I might be more interested, but I will probably refuse this one.

I finally got a call back around 4:30 pm. I decided to pass on this offer. I was actually offered a choice of four different mini-suites, two covered and two uncovered. If I didn't have the Caribe balcony, or if it was a Club Class mini, I would have been more interested. If the price was $249.00 for both of us, I probably would have taken that too. Anyway, too much money for me. Hoping for a free upgrade now. ;)

I finally got a call back around 4:30 pm. I decided to pass on this offer. I was actually offered a choice of four different mini-suites, two covered and two uncovered. If I didn't have the Caribe balcony, or if it was a Club Class mini, I would have been more interested. If the price was $249.00 for both of us, I probably would have taken that too. Anyway, too much money for me. Hoping for a free upgrade now. ;)

Don't blame you for keeping Caribe Balcony. For ~$20 per day all-in, I probably would have done it, depending on location as we have never had a Mini.

The only situation where we would pay additional for a mini over a Caribe balcony would be for a cold weather cruise where we would want comfortable seating inside the cabin. Other than that, we are out on the balcony whenever we are in the room. The larger bathroom is nice but the two TV's are not even a factor for us. I would have made the same decision you did (unless, of course, you are cruising to Iceland):eek:

I think we might be sailing with you, partybarbie. We're a family of 4 in a mini suite, so I'm hoping the room turns out to be everything we're imagining. (B2B, actually, D732 on the first sailing, D707 on the second)

I think we might be sailing with you, partybarbie. We're a family of 4 in a mini suite, so I'm hoping the room turns out to be everything we're imagining. (B2B, actually, D732 on the first sailing, D707 on the second)

Our friends were in D732 last January. Lots of room for them. Family of three - all adults.

Sadly, we are boarding the day that you disembark. Our good friends are doing the B2B with you. They are on your roll call.