Since I am stuck in the house, due to the storm...

I thought I would do some research for our 2019 cruise. I have been on the computer since 7am looking at cruises...all ships and itineraries. NOTHING appeals to me. I know we need to fan out with our itineraries, but my greatest fear is "airfare". We have been to just about every Caribbean Island, Bermuda and Hawaii.....so time to move on.

That leaves Alaska, which we do not want to do until we retire. (two or three years). That leaves a possible transatlantic, which we are highly interested in...BUT.....I am afraid of the cost of airfare going or coming back. Can't even check prices, because it would be for next year. Is there a "secret" that I don't know about for this? Any advice?

I have airline miles from work that I use. I signed my wife up for the Delta AMEX during a promotion where you spend $3000 in the first 4 months and you get 60,000 miles. That paid for her flight from NY to San Juan then Rome to NY. $95 in fees and the rest was free. Paid for the cruise with the credit card, paid off the credit card and boom, free flights!

For airfare, check the airfare for this year during the same time you are expecting to go next year. For example if you are thinking of doing the trip during July 2019, check for airfare for July 2018. It won't be hundreds percent but it should give you a general idea of what to expect for next year.

BTW, I did this type of trip a few years ago. Took the QM2 from New York to Southampton England. Spent a week in England and then flew back.

I have airline miles from work that I use. I signed my wife up for the Delta AMEX during a promotion where you spend $3000 in the first 4 months and you get 60,000 miles. That paid for her flight from NY to San Juan then Rome to NY. $95 in fees and the rest was free. Paid for the cruise with the credit card, paid off the credit card and boom, free flights!

Thank you for the advice. This however would never work for me. There is no way I would be able to charge $3000 worth of merchandise and then pay it back. I do thank you though.

Edited by champagne123

For airfare, check the airfare for this year during the same time you are expecting to go next year. For example if you are thinking of doing the trip during July 2019, check for airfare for July 2018. It won't be hundreds percent but it should give you a general idea of what to expect for next year.

BTW, I did this type of trip a few years ago. Took the QM2 from New York to Southampton England. Spent a week in England and then flew back.

Mmmm....okay, I will try your advice. Hopefully, the prices won't be "that" different. BTW, The QM2 is one of the ships I was researching. Did you enjoy this cruise?

Thank you for the advice. This however would never work for me. There is no way I would be able to charge $3000 worth of merchandise and then pay it back. I do thank you though.

As MiniChunks said charge the cruise you want to do to the credit card with the promotion as it doesn't have to be just merchandise. Also charge other expenses such as car, groceries, eat out meal, insurance, etc.

Just the cruise alone should provide a good chunk of the $3000 billing needed.

Mmmm....okay, I will try your advice. Hopefully, the prices won't be "that" different. BTW, The QM2 is one of the ships I was researching. Did you enjoy this cruise?

Just be careful of avoiding holiday dates in Europe if you decide on a TA - the price this year could be significantly different to next year if it falls at Easter, which varies each year.

When we did a transatlantic we used cruise air from RC and saved quite a bit of money. Because with a TA you are only flying one way, Cruise Air often has better prices.

Another option, if you haven't done it already, is a New England/Canada cruise.

Yes, completely forgot. We did do the New England/Canada cruise. (probably our least favorite). Sorry to anyone that loves this cruise. Thanks for the tip for Cruise Air.....just a quick question though....don't they fly you in on the day of your cruise? That would make me so nervous. We always fly the day before a cruise.

As MiniChunks said charge the cruise you want to do to the credit card with the promotion as it doesn't have to be just merchandise. Also charge other expenses such as car, groceries, eat out meal, insurance, etc.

Just the cruise alone should provide a good chunk of the $3000 billing needed.

When we wanted to qualify for the 2k promo for the first 3 months spending, we bought gift cards with the new credit card for 1k for our grocery store that also sells gas. We will surely spend that money eventually. I was able to pay Comcast, ATT, car and homeowners insurance and that about ate up the whole 2k.

We paid that bill in full at the end of the billing period...having to pay interest to get a few airline points would just be stupid.

I thought I would do some research for our 2019 cruise. I have been on the computer since 7am looking at cruises...all ships and itineraries. NOTHING appeals to me. I know we need to fan out with our itineraries, but my greatest fear is "airfare". We have been to just about every Caribbean Island, Bermuda and Hawaii.....so time to move on.

That leaves Alaska, which we do not want to do until we retire. (two or three years). That leaves a possible transatlantic, which we are highly interested in...BUT.....I am afraid of the cost of airfare going or coming back. Can't even check prices, because it would be for next year. Is there a "secret" that I don't know about for this? Any advice?

Use Royal's Air2Sea for air, very good one-way prices to Europe.

Depending on your budget, you might consider the Galapagos Islands. It is very unlike any other islands to which I have been and the wildlife is spectacular. We did the Galapagos via Celebrity's Xpedition and from flights, to hotels, transfers, etc., it was a near flawless trip and Ecuador is a beautiful country.

It is a pricey trip but is in my top 3 fave places.

Depending on your budget, you might consider the Galapagos Islands. Unlike any other islands to which I have been and the wildlife is spectacular. We did the Galapagos via Celebrity's Xpedition and from flights, to hotels, transfers, etc., it was a near flawless trip and Ecuador is a beautiful country.

Interesting. No, never even considered it. Sounds amazing...and hubby LOVES wild life. I have no idea of the cost, but will check it out. Thank you!

YIKES! Great idea. WAAAAAYYYYYYY out of my budget...but thank you

Edited by champagne123