genuine question not trying to start something

Rjh8842

I am new to cruising and went on my first one in 2016 to celebrate my nephew's 50th birthday. Since is wife went through a TA I decided to use the same one for a family cruise in September of this year. When I went into her office to make the arrangements she did all of our bookings and we all paid our deposits. One month later when we all sent in our next payment she informed us that there was a price reduction on the cabins that we had selected and that there was an OBC being offered of $50.00. She took it upon herself to give us all the price reductions and the OBC. no sure if she is out of any money or commission, but we are all glad that she did this and we never asked. So I guess if you have a really good TA that goes above and beyond to keep you as a customer, do you think we should give her a tip? Since we never asked for a price reduction or the OBC. My point is that I think she is one that just takes care of her customers in a fair way. We would have never known had she not informed us. Also since there are a few in the group that are first time cruisers she prepared folders with all the helpful information of what to pack , passport information, boarding pass info, transfer info to the port, things to do at each port ect. which will be very helpful to the first timers. My observation is that she is just a good TA that provides excellent customer services. When we are done cruising we have all planned to send her a nice gift, which I am sure she will appreciate more than a tip.

Since you have over 200 posts you had to notice that tipping crew members is the No.1 topic of discord here. Your last statement sums it up - you think that crew members are overpaid and therefore any service charges/gratuities/tips are unnecessary. So now that you got answers did anybody change your mind?

"Those convinced their will,

are of the same opinion still."

(y) agree. I try to stay out of tipping arguments but...

Something I've heard before, To those that understand, no explanation is necessary, to those that don't, no explanation will suffice. ;)

We have never removed our tips and very much doubt that we ever will/would. Plus, we typically provide additional tips for great service.

Yes, we have had poor service from time to time. However this poor service was invariable caused by the cruise line cutting staff and thus making it impossible for the staff to provided previous levels of service. We still get good service, tempered by the fact that the particular area is understaffed and the staff are run off their feet.

When this occurs we tend to view the cruise line in a negative light, not the staff.

As I have no idea what part of the world you are from, this discussion makes it harder to explain to you.

In the UK, we have a minimum wage, the TA's are paid above this wage, the commission on top. The amount of different TA's available is huge so to keep clients or make the sale, a lower commission is better than no commission and if you have sales targets, I would take no commission just to reach my target and keep my job.

The crew staff are paid well below this UK minimum wage and are providing a much more demanding service than just sitting at a desk and typing. Cleaning my bathroom and making my bed is much more deserving of a tip, than filling in a form online that I could do myself. I do use a TA and have kept the same one for 15 years. The service I get is great and I do take in cakes and treats throughout the year. It doesn't cost me much but my time and the thought goes a long way with my TA.

I do not know and think it none of my business whatt crew are paid. Howd o you know all crew make higher than UK minimum wage? Please provide your verifiab le source of info.

In the end it is really easy, if I want to tip over and above the automatic c hargged amount, I do not have to explain my choice or expect anyone to approve or disapprove. I think the same for all cruisers. If someone wishes to provide an extra thanks , no need for anyone to have a voiced opinion about that IMO :)

Howd o you know all crew make higher than UK minimum wage? Please provide your verifiab le source of info.

Please go back and read SausPuds post, more carefully this time.

In the UK, we have a minimum wage, the TA's are paid above this wage, the commission on top. ...

The crew staff are paid well below this UK minimum wage...

I don't think he/she deserved your scolding.

Please go back and read SausPuds post, more carefully this time.

I don't think he/she deserved your scolding.

i asked a question to which I hoped for a response. it is a legitimate question.

The crew....work 7 days a week, always more than 8 hours a day, never have a day off and work for 6-8 months before taking a vacation and going home.

How is that possible? I see them in ports and many have told me what they did during their day in port.

How is that possible? I see them in ports and many have told me what they did during their day in port.

Many work split-shifts, with several hours of work in the morning, then a few hours break, followed by several more hours of work in the evening. Some chose to go ashore when allowed during their break to stock up on personal supplies, make phone calls, or just spend time relaxing. And some senior crew members are sent out on ship excursions to review them for the excursion department's evaluation of how well they are performed.

Many work split-shifts, with several hours of work in the morning, then a few hours break, followed by several more hours of work in the evening. Some chose to go ashore when allowed during their break to stock up on personal supplies, make phone calls, or just spend time relaxing. And some senior crew members are sent out on ship excursions to review them for the excursion department's evaluation of how well they are performed.

Yes, this is typical of many front line crew: cabin stewards, wait staff, bar staff, entertainers. Most of the crew that you don't see, but still make your cruise possible work a 12 hour shift, during the day, 7 days a week: deck and engineering departments, laundry staff, galley staff. And some work a straight 12 hour night shift, so they are sleeping during the day when the ship is in port. Depending on the crew member, the supervisor, and the work load, some can request a day off, without pay. Those who can get ashore tend to buy stuff that is traded in "markets" held in crew passageways a couple times a week, where for either money or barter, those who can't get ashore get the items they need from those who could.