Pat down for artificial knees? Why?

nlktx49

I have a question for cruisers out of Galveston on Carnival. Both of my knees have been replaced, five years ago. For the last couple of years my cruises have gotten off to a bad start when I go through security. My knees set off the metal detector. I always tell them I have artificial knees, offer to show them my scars, but they still have me step aside while they call over someone to wand me. The wand only goes off at my knees, but then they say I have to be patted down. This is aggravating, humiliating, and infuriates me. Talk about inappropriate touching! Who do the security people work for? Are they TSA agents? Why do they insist on the pat down? What would happen if I refused it? I'm a short, fat, frumpy 68 year old woman - why do they do this to me? Does this happen to anyone else? Thanks for any answers to my questions.

I have a question for cruisers out of Galveston on Carnival. Both of my knees have been replaced, five years ago. For the last couple of years my cruises have gotten off to a bad start when I go through security. My knees set off the metal detector. I always tell them I have artificial knees, offer to show them my scars, but they still have me step aside while they call over someone to wand me. The wand only goes off at my knees, but then they say I have to be patted down. This is aggravating, humiliating, and infuriates me. Talk about inappropriate touching! Who do the security people work for? Are they TSA agents? Why do they insist on the pat down? What would happen if I refused it? I'm a short, fat, frumpy 68 year old woman - why do they do this to me? Does this happen to anyone else? Thanks for any answers to my questions.

The metal detector detects metal. Your knees are metal, so the detector goes off. Other prohibited items such as guns, knives, etc are also metal.

You go through the detector and the alarm goes off, they have to find out why. Now suppose, despite being a "short ,fat , frumpy 68 year old woman" you are also intent on causing harm. If you were smart you would put the prohibited item on your body right near where something you already know will set off the alarm is located. So when they "wand" you, the wand beeps where expected after telling them "Oh, no bother, it's just my artificial knee." IF they then let you through without a pat-down AND you did have some weapon on you AND you carried out some heinous act, everyone would want to know "How the heck did she get through security with a weapon?"

Therefore, despite your demographic, you were also patted down to be sure it really was your knees and not something else setting off the alarm.

If you refuse the pat-down, you get to go home without a cruise.

And, just so you don't think that I am unfamiliar with the aggravation of getting patted down, I am a type 1 diabetic and have attached to my body a continuous glucose monitor sensor and an insulin pump. Neither one of these devices can go through the body scan, a metal detector or even an x-ray machine. So I have to "opt out" and get a hand pat down Every.Single.Time, I go through security. It is what it is and you just have to deal with it.

The metal detector detects metal. Your knees are metal, so the detector goes off. Other prohibited items such as guns, knives, etc are also metal.

You go through the detector and the alarm goes off, they have to find out why. Now suppose, despite being a "short ,fat , frumpy 68 year old woman" you are also intent on causing harm. If you were smart you would put the prohibited item on your body right near where something you already know will set off the alarm is located. So when they "wand" you, the wand beeps where expected after telling them "Oh, no bother, it's just my artificial knee." IF they then let you through without a pat-down AND you did have some weapon on you AND you carried out some heinous act, everyone would want to know "How the heck did she get through security with a weapon?"

Therefore, despite your demographic, you were also patted down to be sure it really was your knees and not something else setting off the alarm.

And, just so you don't think that I am unfamiliar with the aggravation of getting patted down, I am a type 1 diabetic and have attached to my body a continuous glucose monitor sensor and an insulin pump. Neither one of these devices can go through the body scan, a metal detector or even an x-ray machine. So I have to "opt out" and get a hand pat down Every.Single.Time, I go through security. It is what it is and you just have to deal with it.

That pretty much sums it up. Welcome to today's world. I am in the same boat.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Problem is that your pants are covering your knees. By wearing shorts or a dress you can avoid being touched.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unfortunately, even when I'm wearing capris and can pull them up and show them my scars, they still do the pat down.

100% correct!!!

I still don’t understand why the OP would be bothered by this.

Thanks for your very well thought out and detailed answer. From your answer and others, I see it could be worse. I'll just try to smile and endure it!

Personally I would opt for an over amount of caution over an under amount. Once someone knows a weakness in security (they don't check if your knees set off the detector), someone is definitely going to exploit it

Pat me down every time if you must. I would rather feel safe on any cruise, plane, etc....

Just a couple of points for the OP.

The security officers are not TSA, nor do they specifically follow TSA guidelines.

If the security checkpoint is on the pier before boarding on embarkation day, then the security are contractors hired by the port, and are working under the requirements of the terminal's ISPS code (International Ship and Port Security), which for a US port is audited by Homeland Security (through the USCG), and third party auditors to see that the terminals plan meets the requirements of the ISPS enabling legislation in the US (the SAFE Port Act).

If the security checkpoint is onboard the ship, or in many cases on the pier at ports of call, the security officers are cruise line employees, and operating under the requirements of the ship's ISPS code, which is audited by the flag state, the class society as third party, and when in the US by the USCG as port state control.

All of these ISPS documents specifically list the procedures to be taken when people are allowed into various areas of the port facility or on the ship. Employees are not allowed to vary from these procedures.

I get the same 'welcome pat down' when my knee sets off the alarm. I usually thank them for doing their job and keeping us safe. I am glad they are taking their job seriously, you can't tell by looking at someone if they have evil intentions. We live in crazy times, unfortunately.

I get the same 'welcome pat down' when my knee sets off the alarm. I usually thank them for doing their job and keeping us safe. I am glad they are taking their job seriously, you can't tell by looking at someone if they have evil intentions. We live in crazy times, unfortunately.

This is why we need a like button. Good response.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There's nothing to be embarrassed about. It's just the way security is these days. I am an average sized woman and the zipper of my summer shorts set off the alarm at the airport last time. A TSA agent then had to check all around my waist band. Did I like it? Of course not. But I want to go on vacation so it is what it is.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My problem with it is that they clearly aren’t trained.

I go through metal detectors every day, often multiple times per day. And am patted down. It has never caused me discomfort. However every time I’ve been patted down boarding a ship I am caused increased pain.

I have a chronic spine problem.

Oh should have added. A pat down should NOT involve patting, but rubbing type action, preferably with the back of the hand.

And yes in a previous life I held a security license and was taught to do it properly.

I've had 13 surgeries on my spine.....I get patted, searched, groped etc. It's part of my existence. No one has ever

hurt me or caused me pain. Yes, its inconvenient and at times embarrassing but it is what it is......Suck it up and be thankful that you're well enough to cruise!

I think you all can stop telling the OP to "suck it up". They clearly indicated back in post #9

Thanks for your very well thought out and detailed answer. From your answer and others, I see it could be worse. I'll just try to smile and endure it!

100% correct!!!

I still don’t understand why the OP would be bothered by this.

I totally agree that the OP is being difficult. I also have 2 artificial knees. When I fly I get the total pat down. On the cruise I get it too, but it's not the worst thing in my life. I do it and move on and so should the OP.

This is interesting.

I've sailed three times since my knee replacement. It has never set off an alarm, neither when I initially embarked nor at after any port.

We have sailed many times with dear friends, one of whom also had a knee replaced. And, she's never set off an alarm either.

Is this unique to Galveston or has it happened at other ports as well?

I have bi lateral hips, bi-lateral shoulders and a knee replacement... I fully understood that by getting these surgeries I would set off detectors... I am used to the “full service” treatment... I have not personally noticed any degree of unprofessional “groping” at cruise ports verses airports and most certainly nobody who caused any pain! I would 100% say something about that.. that is unacceptable . however, the pat downs are a sad but necessary part of the sacrifices we make to travel and be a safe as we can... it is sometimes a bit embarrassing, but the alternative (staying home) is not an option IMO.

This is interesting.

I've sailed three times since my knee replacement. It has never set off an alarm, neither when I initially embarked nor at after any port.

We have sailed many times with dear friends, one of whom also had a knee replaced. And, she's never set off an alarm either.

Is this unique to Galveston or has it happened at other ports as well?

Perhaps it depends on the type of metal used. I don't believe titanium, for example, sets off metal detectors.