Oceania Trip Insurance.

FilmFan76

My husband and I are planning to take the Athens to Dubai cruise on the Nautica departing on Nov 16, 2018. Has anyone had experience with trip insurance from Oceania. We are trying to choose a reliable company that is not too expensive.

My understanding is that trip insurance will not cover any bankruptcy/failure of the entity that sells you the insurance. Risky to buy the insurance from the cruise line or the TA who sells you the insurance and also sells you the cruise/tour.

Mary

Take look at Tripinsurancestore.com

They offer many different policies with good explanations of each.

It is a broker and, though the price will be the same, their version of a particular policy may have limitations not present in the same policy offered directly by the insurer. Read the fine print!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sometimes a cruise insurance policy is worth the money. Policies are based on ages of travelers. If you were in your late 80's or older a cruise line policy would be significantly cheaper.

Regarding Bankruptcy of the line. Yes cruise line insurance does not cover this, but if you use a credit card it would likely cover you for this.

There is a separate Insurance section of CC.. You might ask there.

I can also recommend Tripinsurancestore.com

Remember before buying read the policy.

We have always used Travel Guard.

We’ve had to use it once when our daughter in law was deployed to Iraq. We just emailed them her orders to deploy and we got every dime back including the airfare. And we received a check very quickly with no fuss.

The cost is usually a percent of the cost of the cruise. Travel insurance is not cheap but worth every dime if you need it. Also I think the pre-existing condition waiver is valid only if you take out the insurance immediately after booking your trip.

Here is what it covers for us. We took the standard package.

Standard Packages

ACCIDENT AND SICKNESS MEDICAL EXPENSES

$25000.00 Per InsuredACCIDENTAL DEATH/DISMEMBERMENT

$10000.00 Per InsuredBAGGAGE AND PERSONAL EFFECTS

$1000.00 Per InsuredBAGGAGE DELAY

$300.00 Per InsuredBUSINESS ASSISTANCE SERVICES

IncludedPer InsuredCANCEL FOR BUSINESS REASONS

IncludedPer InsuredCONCIERGE SERVICES

IncludedPer InsuredEMERGENCY EVACUATION AND REPATRIATION OF REMAINS

$500000.00 Per InsuredIDENTITY THEFT ASSISTANCE SERVICES

IncludedPer InsuredLIVETRAVEL EMERGENCY ASSISTANCE

IncludedPer InsuredMISSED CONNECTION

$250.00 Per InsuredPERSONAL SECURITY ASSISTANCE

IncludedPer InsuredTRAVEL MEDICAL ASSISTANCE

IncludedPer InsuredTRIP CANCELLATION

100% Trip Cost Per InsuredTRIP DELAY

$750.00 Per Insured$150.00 Payout Limit Per DayTRIP INTERRUPTION

150% Trip Cost Per InsuredTRIP INTERRUPTION - RETURN AIR

$750.00 Per InsuredWORLD WIDE TRAVEL ASSISTANCE

IncludedPer Insured15 Day BenefitsDEFAULT/BANKRUPTCY

100% Trip Cost Per InsuredFLIGHT GUARD $50,000

$50000.00 Per InsuredMEDICAL EXPENSE PRIMARY

IncludedPer InsuredMISSED CONNECTION UPGRADE

$250.00 Per InsuredPRE-EXISTING CONDITION WAIVER

IncludedP

Regarding Bankruptcy of the line. Yes cruise line insurance does not cover this, but if you use a credit card it would likely cover you for this.

There is a separate Insurance section of CC.. You might ask there.

Caveat about CC insurance. It is usually a cancellation insurance but NOT trip interruption insurance. In other words, it will cover cancellation (for valid reasons) before leaving for the trip but not if you have to go home 1 day into your trip - a significant difference between cancellation & interruption coverage.

In 2001, Renaissance cruiseline went bankrupt 3 days before we were to board.

Although we had purchased independent travel insurance, we didn't need it because our Visa CC refunded all of our money within 3 weeks.

We have bought insurance from bith insuremytrip and smartmouth.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Just and FYI..check Citicard and Chase..the newest thing is if you charge your trip on either of these..up to $5000 a person they insure you..I do that and then purchase Allianz yearly policy for health at $254 per person..

Works great for us..Ron Rick is correct NEVER buy insurance from the cruise line..

Jancruz1

Just and FYI..check Citicard and Chase..the newest thing is if you charge your trip on either of these..up to $5000 a person they insure you..I do that and then purchase Allianz yearly policy for health at $254 per person..

Works great for us..Ron Rick is correct NEVER buy insurance from the cruise line..

Jancruz1

Most of those cards mentioned above will NOT waive PECs as a reason for trip interrupt/cancel. (BTW, United Explorer Visa et al DO include "trip interrupt").

For the uninitiated, understand that PECs only refer to new or changed medical items during a look back period of several months and NOT some condition you've had for years that is stable/unmodified during the lookback. Yes, the CCs don't provide adequate (if any) medical coverage BUT medical issues can affect the trip cancel/interrupt provisions.

Folks need to read the fine print about PECs.

Also, for most of the Chase cards: if you and spouse use two different VISA accounts from that bank (e.g., two United Explorer cards), to split the deposit and final payment, it effectively doubles your trip protection limits, which is a major consideration for "expensive" cruises.

FF,

Thanks for the above helpful info.

Just my personal comment. I would never use United Explorer card to pay for a cruise just because it has interruption insurance.

It will earn only 1:1 UA miles (only), A Chase Sapphire Reserve will earn 3 times the UA miles for the same charge (or a choice of using the earned points for several other airlines and hotels) - no contest in my book.

Edit to add - I would use the United Explorer card to book a cruise via United cruises where I can earn (and have) up to 7 miles/$ spent - that’s a great return :D

Edited by Paulchili

FF,

Thanks for the above helpful info.

Just my personal comment. I would never use United Explorer card to pay for a cruise just because it has interruption insurance.

It will earn only 1:1 UA miles (only), A Chase Sapphire Reserve will earn 3 times the UA miles for the same charge (or a choice of using the earned points for several other airlines and hotel) - no contest in my book.

Edit to add - I would use the United Explorer card to book a cruise via United cruises where I can earn (and have) up to 7 miles/$ spent - that’s a great return :D

Cruising is not why we have a United card. With few exceptions we fly only United and Star Alliance partners. While it only gets double points if tix purchased through United (instead of triple with Sapphire), there are other benefits with true value for those of us who seldom fly outside of the Star Alliance group:

No expiration of United miles/points

Free extra checked bags

X # included United/Star Alliance Club passes

Ease of getting ETCs when fares drop

As a 20+ yr. United Visa user: often able to secure match of "new sign up" bonus points.

Etc.

If we used other airlines, Sapphire might make more sense for us. But right now, just not as valuable for our normal travel habits.

Cruising is not why we have a United card. With few exceptions we fly only United and Star Alliance partners. While it only gets double points if tix purchased through United (instead of triple with Sapphire), there are other benefits with true value for those of us who seldom fly outside of the Star Alliance group:

No expiration of United miles/points

Free extra checked bags

X # included United/Star Alliance Club passes

Ease of getting ETCs when fares drop

As a 20+ yr. United Visa user: often able to secure match of "new sign up" bonus points.

Etc.

If we used other airlines, Sapphire might make more sense for us. But right now, just not as valuable for our normal travel habits.

I don’t have an issue with you having an UA card or using UA card for UA flights. That was not my point.

Since this is an insurance (and cruising) thread, I am talking about using UA card (with cancellation & interruption insurance but only up to $5K) vs Chase Sapphire (with cancellation only insurance but for up to $10K) for cruises that may cost up to $20K.

That’s 20K UA miles vs 60K UA miles (plus higher insurance coverage) - surely you’ll agree that’s better deal even if you just want to use the Chase Ultimate reward points for UA miles.

Edited by Paulchili

I don’t have an issue with you having an UA card or using UA card for UA flights. That was not my point.

Since this is an insurance (and cruising) thread, I am talking about using UA card (with cancellation & interruption insurance but only up to $5K) vs Chase Sapphire (with cancellation only insurance but for up to $10K) for cruises that may cost up to $20K.

That’s 20K UA miles vs 60K UA miles (plus higher insurance coverage) - surely you’ll agree that’s better deal even if you just want to use the Chase Ultimate reward points for UA miles.

Though the math favors sapphire in certain ways, please know that the insurance limit on the United Explorer card is $10k not $5k (up to $20k if you split the purchase over two cards) Yes, not as good as sapphire when measuring card to card.

And for United tix or other of their product purchases (you can purchase cruises/rental cars/hotels/etc via United, it is double points (so 10k pts for United or Star Alliance purchased as a United ticket would become 20k) and yes, sapphire would be 30k.

But, in addition to the free bags, united club passes, no miles expiration et al, some (not all) tix using United points will accrue miles for United Visa holders as though they were actually a purchased ticket. And there's a 10k puts bonus for minimum annual spending (easily reached). United Visa also gets priority boarding no charge and standard award tickets can be acquired up until the day of the flight.

These are not insignificant benefits IF you fly often on United/Star Alliance.

Again, for flexibility, Sapphire may be a better choice for flexibility. But for United/Star Alliance fliers, the overall United card perks are custom tailored for loyalists.

Finally, this may be all moot when it come to the insurance since PECs are not waived for interrupt/cancel (except perhaps for the $400 Sapphire card???).

Works great for us..Ron Rick is c$5,000 figure but, at least for Chase and both Sapphire Preferred and Reserve the limit is $40,000 for each and if you have both or if you and your spouse each have the same card, the amount is doubled to $80,000 and it is not per person, it is a total for one year so a solo would get the full $40K for him/her self.

Other Chase cards do vary but, don't think any are as low as $5K pp or $10K total Each Chase card has their own brochure that explains all of the benefits. I did confirm the doubling for multiple accounts with the insurer and have it in writing.

We had travelguard when my husband had a heart attack in Russia, went by air ambulance to Finland, bypass surgery, my hotel for 10 days, etc. Everything covered but the most important piece was the concierge component. How would you find which hospital to go to, which country, get visas, find an air ambulance? Business class upgrade return. Also, the credit cards don't cover if a family member gets sick during your trip and you have to return home in the middle of your cruise. That, ironically, was the reason we had gotten the insurance in the first place. Good point about credit card covering ship or TA bankruptcy though, except for their long list of exceptions.

Mary

Just wanted to thank all posters and let you know that I learned something new about my Credit Cards from reading the post. When we first started cruising insurance was not a priority. After about the third cruise out of twenty two when a job promotion created havoc for a planned cruise I never book without cruise insurance. I always use Travel Guard because of all of the coverage options available Three times we had to use it, luckily prior to going on the cruise. I provided the required documentation and shortly after received the check.

All we were out of was the cost of the insurance, which is not cheap because we tend to go on mid-level cruise lines. I have also found that the older we get the higher the cost of the insurance. Insurance gives me peace of mind while planning for my cruise and while traveling which I consider the a small price to pay for the thousands of dollars spent.