Do people actually pay to upgrade from balconies to minisuites on BA class ships?

I guess that big shower and an extra sink is worth a few hundred dollars to some people?

On the Gem class it does make sense, I think. The balconies on minisuites are substantially larger. I was able to get a lounger out there with room to spare. But on the BA class ships the balcony/minisuite balconies are identical, and the rooms are almost the same.

If a couple was taller or wider than usual, I can imagine it might be worth it to them.

I only booked a mini suite because we went for the extra large balcony (M6). Otherwise, yeah, we would've stuck with B6 or an angled balcony. I am looking forward to the extra bathroom spaces, though!

I do think there are some people that don't realize the difference is minimal. Hopefully if they are concerned about cash, they do their homework before booking/bidding. The word "suite" can be alluring to the unaware.

I did for $100, but I wouldn't do it again. I knew there wasn't much difference but I wanted to see for myself. We were assigned a room under the pool deck area, so it was louder than I had experienced before. I have learned my lesson and will not be bidding in the future for anything.

the only time we do this is when the fare drops. our PCC is then usually able to move us from a balcony to a minisuite at no charge.

That's exactly how I've done it in the pass, I would never pay extra for the upgrade.

I guess that big shower and an extra sink is worth a few hundred dollars to some people?

On the Gem class it does make sense, I think. The balconies on minisuites are substantially larger. I was able to get a lounger out there with room to spare. But on the BA class ships the balcony/minisuite balconies are identical, and the rooms are almost the same.

By Gem class I assume you really mean Jewel class which is the class the Gem belongs in, right? Yes people do bid. We have only bid once, probably will not again, but for some it is very important regardless of ship class and the game of bidding is fun for some.:halo:

I don't pay to upgrade, I book mini-suites from the outset. The larger bathroom alone is worth it to me with 3 of us in the stateroom. The size of the shower is great along with the multiple shower heads. The size of the shower I've seen in balcony room pics gives me claustrophobia. My understanding is on Escape (Breakaway Plus class) the balconies are indeed a bit larger.

We just did. At the time we booked it was $600 Canadian more for a mini versus balcony, so we were happy to get an upgrade bid accepted for $100 pp. We wanted the larger shower. Unfortunately, we ended up with a family mini with a bathtub, and I likely wouldn't have bid had I realized there were minis with tubs.

The Family mini-suites do have tubs.
I can definitely affirm that, one of our nieces sailed twice on the Getaway & upgraded (via CAS) from comp'd balcony to the "Family Mini Suites" with tubs - as they have 2 little ones ... little monsters started cruising @ a little over 2 years old. Reason, doubled sink and tub for bathing, instead of the rain shower - more space inside.

She said not all of them have the tub ... some find it annoying to step over to get in/out (mobility issues ??) but for families - it mattered to them, not to 2 of us sailing as older adults, LOL.

Under the Upgrade Advantage program, bidding up to get a mini with a tub, that's different & like rolling the dices :halo: - but, for some of the off season sailings, it seemed that the "family" cabins were usually the last to disappear from booking availability - how their system randomly assigned them with the GTY, is a different discussion of its own.

P.S. I'm reasonably certain that the Breakaway is similar with the mini's - niece mentioned that she need to make sure it's the "M2"