Worse than bad customer relations, stupid

EDLOS

It is definately the responsibility of the person travelling. I would never leave it up to a travel agent either. I would ensure I checked it all out myself, then only myself to blame if it's not correct.

Sent from my iPad using Forums[/quote

Nowhere, Nowhere, in my original post did I say that it Celebrity's responsibility to obtain my correct Visa. I also believe that Celebrity has, in order to even think about visiting a country, knowledge of everything it takes, for the ship, it's passengers and crew to visit that port/country. And in this computer age it would be smart marketing to not use what it has at it's finger tips to make anything from booking to disembarkation a most pleasing seamless experience. to "have customers singing their praises"

Ahh but the in comes Celebrity’s website and all reasoning goes out of the window,

Glad you have enough time to sort it

Yes, of course, Celebrity can't know everyone's status...but they could tell you what they do know. And yes, it could change...but they could cover it with "at present" and "conditions may change"...but at least say something.

I agree with the spirit behind your position, however given the nature of some, I doubt they would "hear" the "at present" and "conditions may change"...words, but instead "hear" what is said, as they choose, regardless of it being the complete conversation.

Then of course Celebrity (or any other travel provider) would be responsible for their ruined trip, liable for compensation, damages, and no end of pillory on social media.

In this case I don't think Celebrity has any option but to follow the position of other cruise lines, air lines, travel providers and make it clear the documents necessary to travel are the clients responsibility.

Why on earth someone would expect anyone other than themselves to take responsibility for this critical aspect of travel is beyond me but then again it takes all kinds to make a world.

Celebrity can't know all the requirements for every nationality for every stop on the cruise multiplied by every cruise that they do. It is just not possible. Then if they make just one mistake, people,will go onto social media or cruise critic to complain that Celebrity messed up their cruise. So they just play it safe and give you no information at all. Can't say that I blame them. You or your TA have the responsibility to figure your country entry requirements.

DON

Hi Bo

Me and my wife will be traveling to South America (carnival cruise )

We are traveling with a USA passports we understand some countries we will be visiting requires a visa. But we also have a second passport that not require visas we are using these passports to enter those countries

We are traveling with 4 different countries passports.

Do you see any problem ? Our passports are %100 valid and legal

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Have you asked the cruise line if you can use all these passports in the one cruise? It's not like flying where passengers always have to show their passports. Often it is boarder patrol coming on to the ship and looking at passengers manifest and passport info from when you boarded the ship.

Also the workers who check guests in, work for the port, these people usually only have a list of what is required that they are following, they might not even know that it is possible to have more than one citizenship at a time.

I have dual citizenship myself and in all the years I have been travelling I was only asked once if i had a 2nd passport.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Have you asked the cruise line if you can use all these passports in the one cruise? It's not like flying where passengers always have to show their passports. Often it is boarder patrol coming on to the ship and looking at passengers manifest and passport info from when you boarded the ship.

Also the workers who check guests in, work for the port, these people usually only have a list of what is required that they are following, they might not even know that it is possible to have more than one citizenship at a time.

I have dual citizenship myself and in all the years I have been travelling I was only asked once if i had a 2nd passport.

k - IME the cruise line checks your valid passport upon check-in and usually it must match the passport information provided during OLCI.

After that, valid passports/visas are checked by passport controls in the countries where one is docked and for which a Visa is required. The cruise line will not know or care, usually, which valid passport is used for Visa purposes, nor will passport control.

As you have experienced, only once were you asked about an additional passport. I would think that if a country is tagged for additional scrutiny and one has several passports for no other reason than they are citizens of the countries for which the documents are carried, there are no issues.

Of course if necessary, boarder control will verify the validity of any and all passports and visas. If not valid, detention would be in order.

bon voyage

Celebrity can't know all the requirements for every nationality for every stop on the cruise multiplied by every cruise that they do. It is just not possible. Then if they make just one mistake, people,will go onto social media or cruise critic to complain that Celebrity messed up their cruise. So they just play it safe and give you no information at all. Can't say that I blame them. You or your TA have the responsibility to figure your country entry requirements.

DON

Exactly!

I’ve been to India five times now on a cruise and my ta always spells out the need for me to check on travel documents I will need, even though he knows I know.

Phil

k - IME the cruise line checks your valid passport upon check-in and usually it must match the passport information provided during OLCI.

After that, valid passports/visas are checked by passport controls in the countries where one is docked and for which a Visa is required. The cruise line will not know or care, usually, which valid passport is used for Visa purposes, nor will passport control.

As you have experienced, only once were you asked about an additional passport. I would think that if a country is tagged for additional scrutiny and one has several passports for no other reason than they are citizens of the countries for which the documents are carried, there are no issues.

Of course if necessary, boarder control will verify the validity of any and all passports and visas. If not valid, detention would be in order.

bon voyage

Thanks for the response. My main concern is that the cruise line will only have the passport you checked on with on record. Maybe it's this passport that needs the visa. But how will the cruise line know you have a second valid passport that does not require a visa and it is this passport you will be using to enter that country? It only rarely that a passenger has to present a passport in person.

Another example on port employees, If I board a cruise for south America from miami the majority of cruisers they see are American citizens who need a visa to vist these countries. I am not American and I don't need a visa to enter south America, I expect there would be confusion for the person checking me until they got clarity, they might not know either.

There has been reported here a couple of times about cruisers being denied boarding when they had the correct paperwork because the cruise agent didn't know this!

Let's say at least there are companies who are able to provide all the necessary information and who do take responsibiliy when they offer cruises to destinations requiring visas. Thus I do need to disagree with most of you. Celebrity could and should care.

As an example in my printed brochure from Cunard there is a list of all countries visited detailing out the visa requirements if any. Sure with the caveat that you should get additional information if you hold dual passports or a passport from a country other the target market of the bochure. But for "standard" customers, in this case from Germany, Austria and Switzerland, all visa requirements are provided.

Even more, once booked, you get online a tailored and if necessary updated list of immigation rules.

Why can't Celebrity provide the information eg for Americans buying a cruise in the US, their home market?

DON

First, the cruise line (and airlines) make it abundantly clear that it’s the traveler’s responsibility. No argument at all.

HOWEVER...

Given that you hear of denied boarding for not having documentation, they HAVE to have this information. They choose, probably for liability reasons, not to provide it, but they clearly have it. The airlines can actually be fined, big bucks, for transporting a passenger without proper documentation. I Suspect the same applies to passenger vessels.

So, yes, it’s your responsibility, but let’s not pretend they don’t know.

HOWEVER...

Given that you hear of denied boarding for not having documentation, they HAVE to have this information. They choose, probably for liability reasons, not to provide it, but they clearly have it. The airlines can actually be fined, big bucks, for transporting a passenger without proper documentation. I Suspect the same applies to passenger vessels.

Thing is they will let you board. If they didn’t then quite a large number would be denied. Certainly if the Constellation Christmas cruise is anything to go by. I’m not saying don’t bother getting a visa. I wouldn’t take the risk of delay when entering India. But they will let you board the ship without one.

Phil

I guess I should repeat my observation/question.

Shouldn't Celebrity tell passengers in advance when they have arranged for passengers to acquire the required VISA's on-board? How is anyone to know that VISA's for Vietnam are available at low cost on-board? Which other country's VISA's are issued on board? No one knows (unless you post/ask on cruise critic) and if you call Celebrity and ask, they give you the party line....you are responsible for getting your own visas....which isn't helpful.

let's say at least there are companies who are able to provide all the necessary information and who do take responsibiliy when they offer cruises to destinations requiring visas. Thus i do need to disagree with most of you. Celebrity could and should care.

As an example in my printed brochure from cunard there is a list of all countries visited detailing out the visa requirements if any. Sure with the caveat that you should get additional information if you hold dual passports or a passport from a country other the target market of the bochure. But for "standard" customers, in this case from germany, austria and switzerland, all visa requirements are provided.

Even more, once booked, you get online a tailored and if necessary updated list of immigation rules.

Why can't celebrity provide the information eg for americans buying a cruise in the us, their home market?

amen !!!!!

Shouldn't Celebrity tell passengers in advance when they have arranged for passengers to acquire the required VISA's on-board? How is anyone to know that VISA's for Vietnam are available at low cost on-board? Which other country's VISA's are issued on board? No one knows (unless you post/ask on cruise critic) and if you call Celebrity and ask, they give you the party line....you are responsible for getting your own visas....which isn't helpful.

It certainly makes sense to me that Celebrity should advise its passengers when a specific visa can be purchased onboard at a significantly reduced price. Is this an ongoing arrangement, or do they have to make successive arrangements with the Vietnamese government on a cruise-by-cruise basis?

Amen Again !

If you're on the US site, Celebrity refers you to the VisaCentral website via a link, which includes the information below. Seems pretty straightforward to me. It makes sense for them to engage a third party to provide this info, which changes all the time.

Celebrity Cruises is pleased to offer its customers the expertise and experience of VisaCentral. Please see below for important information that may relate to your tour.

Visas on arrival: For U.S Citizens, it is not necessary to complete visa applications through VisaCentral for the following destinations as the cruise line will be obtaining these visas on your behalf: Kenya*, Indonesia, UAE, Bahrain, Egypt, Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar, Mozambique, Jordan, Oman, Papua New Guinea. If a fee is required to obtain these visas, it will be charged to your onboard account.

* Please note, if you are doing a pre-cruise tour in Kenya, a visa is required. This visa can be obtained in advance through VisaCentral or upon arrival at the airport. If you hold a foreign passport, you must confirm with the cruise line if it will be able to secure visas for you onboard the ship for your nationality.

Sorry Bo, and others, 90% of their passengers are from US, UK, Canada and Australia, this ain't rocket science to know and communicate what's required and " There is always a disclaimer protecting them from lawsuit's " and always will be. Just good and SMART customer relations. P.S. Have any of you used Celebrity's website???????? Yes, also I have visited more than 80 countries and my current passport has Visa's from Brazil, China, Cambodia etc. etc.

Exactly- it ain't rocket science..... so someone who is as well-traveled as you should have little difficulty determining, on your own, what visas you do and don't need for a cruise.