Naples to Capri

tigerwilf

Hi, we are sailing on the new symphony of the seas 28th April and were looking to go to Capri for the day. Has anyone done this, what is the best way. Thanks

Have you checked the ship excursion list?

Also be sure to check the Italy forum: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595

From where the ship will dock it is only a short walk to the fast ferries. You can just turn up and buy a ticket for the next available sailing. I’d recommend buying the return ticket at the same time and obviously allow some buffer time In case of delays with the return sailing.

We’ve done it twice in peak season and never had a problem getting back.

It is possible to buy the reserve the tickets in advance online- though I tried this second time we went and it was actuallyharder work because the ticket office directed me to a back office they struggled to find my reservation.

Capri is ace-well worth the trip

We did this last year, very easy. Don't buy the ticket online ahead of time. When you get off the ship just go to the left and you can buy your ticket. Check the schedules though as you may not want a round trip with the ferry company. Some are faster then others. If you aren't going round trip with the same company just buy your ticket in Capri right there when you get there and you are set for your return. Be sure to do the chair lift, the views are amazing!!!!!!

Hi, we are sailing on the new symphony of the seas 28th April and were looking to go to Capri for the day. Has anyone done this, what is the best way. Thanks

What port--is it Naples or Salerno. If it's Salerno there aren't too many ferries going back & forth on a timely basis. We had to book a tour via royal titled "Capri on your Own." If it's Naples you have more choices and the high speed ferry terminal is only a few blocks away.

This past August we arrived (Brilliance) at Salerno and it had not rained some 7-8 months and guess what--It was a deluge. Rained all day and made it very uncomfortable as the street are narrow and had to navigate not only the rain cascading down the streets but umbrellas. By the way, same in Rome--had not rained for 8 months and as we made to the Vatican Museum, the sky opened up.

Ps. Google "Ferries between port (?) and Capri" and you will get a schedule with pricing.

What port--is it Naples or Salerno. If it's Salerno there aren't too many ferries going back & forth on a timely basis. We had to book a tour via royal titled "Capri on your Own." If it's Naples you have more choices and the high speed ferry terminal is only a few blocks away.

This past August we arrived (Brilliance) at Salerno and it had not rained some 7-8 months and guess what--It was a deluge. Rained all day and made it very uncomfortable as the street are narrow and had to navigate not only the rain cascading down the streets but umbrellas. By the way, same in Rome--had not rained for 8 months and as we made to the Vatican Museum, the sky opened up.

Ps. Google "Ferries between port (?) and Capri" and you will get a schedule with pricing.

The big ships can only dock in Naples but not in Salerno. Ferries to Capri go about every hour by different providers, walking distance from ship, very easy. Salerno and the Amalfi coast is much nicer by the way and I prefer an itinerary that goes to Salerno.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

nelblu, the topic says "Naples to Capri" ;-)!

Leave the terminal building, fight your way through the taxi drivers and keep left to the ferry terminal building. Ticket counters are on the street side. Estimate app. 20 Euro for a single ride. I also recommend buying a return ticket then you don´t have to stand in line once more in Capri.

Check out this website. It has plenty of information, ferry schedules, island map (print out)...

Capri is my favorite island and each time I explore something new!

steamboats

nelblu, the topic says "Naples to Capri" ;-)!

Leave the terminal building, fight your way through the taxi drivers and keep left to the ferry terminal building. Ticket counters are on the street side. Estimate app. 20 Euro for a single ride. I also recommend buying a return ticket then you don´t have to stand in line once more in Capri.

Check out this website. It has plenty of information, ferry schedules, island map (print out)...

Capri is my favorite island and each time I explore

something new!

steamboats

Yes, but many times the itinerary indicates Naples when in reality it may be Salerno.

nelblu, I had it "Capri (port of Naples)" but never Salerno for Naples. And anyway, the Symphony is not able to dock in Salerno. The itinerary in the Med for all Oasis class ships is more or less the same since 2014 when the Oasis of the Seas headed to Europe for her 5 year dry dock (the Oasis did only a few cruises - but the Allure in 2015 had a full season so did the Harmony in 2016). Plus Naples is sort of the most southern port on that itineray. Salerno is "around the corner" and much farther away.

steamboats

Actually, the cruise itinerary as it's written on their web site makes it sound like they tender off Capri. That would be odd but I guess possible.

If they do port in Naples the way they describe the ports on their site is confused:

Barcelona,

Spain |

Palma de Mallorca,

Spain |

Provence (Marseilles),

France |

Florence/Pisa (La Spezia),

Italy |

Rome (Civitavecchia),

Italy |

Naples (Capri),

Italy |

Cruising

|

Barcelona,

Spain

We know that the actual ports are Marseilles, La Spezia and Civitavecchia, why would they change the order and put the port first and the destination in parentheses?

We’ve been to Capri twice and decided to go via cruise line excursion both times to play it safe. Sure you can save tons of money by DIY with the ferry, but ferries can be delayed. You maximize your time on Capri by going with the cruise line. In fact, the cruise lines sometimes use the public ferries, and on ours, we hit such rough seas that the crossing back to Naples took an extra half hour. If we had gone independently and the excursion group hadn’t been onboard, we would have missed the ship. Thankfully the ship waited for us because it was their own group. Capri is gorgeous, and I’d go back again and again! Buy the hard lemon candy in bulk, and eat on the island; have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

euro cruiser,

The Symphony will definitely dock in Naples. Been there on Allure and Harmony and both times it said "Capri (Naples)". Yes, this is actually weird. They could also write "Pompeii (Naples)".

You will never see an Oasis class ship tender! Way too many passengers for tendering.

cruisequeen4ever,

The ships do use the regular ferries. I usually tend to go back between 3 and 4 pm. No problem with the ship in port til 7 or 8 pm. That´s why I highly suggest to buy the return ticket in the morning. No hassle, no line for buying a ticket in the afternoon.

I also use public transportation on the island. Yes, you have to take your time and a bus schedule saying the bus is running very 15 min is definitely nothing you can rely on. Wait and the bus will come... If you plan accordingly it´s no problem.

I never use the funiculare to go up to Capri town. I usually take the bus to Anacapri, buy my perfume and take the bus to Capri town. I either walk down or take the funiculare down (no lines for that). I´ve waked down the Phoenician stairs from Anacapri, I went up to Monte Solaro with the chair lift, I hiked up to Villa Iovis, I hiked to Arco Naturale and along the South coast and the Faraglioni rocks back to town. Many things to do ... of course not all in one day.

The best trip ever was on MS Europe when we arrived in the morning on the west tip of the island and the Captain cruised along the South coast into the sunrise... Kitsch as kitsch can they had two musicians on deck playing the German Capri Fischer song and serving free champagne - the main line of the song is (translated): when by Capri the red sun sets into the sea.... And yes, we used that day for a breakfast on our balcony facing the island. We anchored outside of Marina Grande and tendered all day long. Definitely my perfect day (my photos)!

steamboats