First Time Hawaii

dorset65

In Frisco eat the clam chowder in the sourdough bread bowl at a restaurant on the second floor at Pier 39.

In Honolulu eat the hot wings at Hooters. Easy walk from ship dock at Aloha Tower center.

In Kauai eat lunch at Dukes restaurant just behind the beach you can see from the ship at the dock.

In Maui eat lunch at Bubba Gump's within walking distance from the tender pier.

As for the obvious things to see-----visit the USS Arizona Memorial and museum as well as the USS Bowfin and submarine museum at Pearl Harbor when you visit Honolulu.

In Frisco eat the clam chowder in the sourdough bread bowl at a restaurant on the second floor at Pier 39.

In Honolulu eat the hot wings at Hooters. Easy walk from ship dock at Aloha Tower center.

In Kauai eat lunch at Dukes restaurant just behind the beach you can see from the ship at the dock.

In Maui eat lunch at Bubba Gump's within walking distance from the tender pier.

As for the obvious things to see-----visit the USS Arizona Memorial and museum as well as the USS Bowfin and submarine museum at Pearl Harbor when you visit Honolulu.

Interesting choice of restaurants. All of them are (US) mainland chains. Please try the local foods instead (not necessarily just poi).

Honolulu: Side Street Inn, Waiola Shave Ice, Leonards Bakery, Chinese food/dim sum, Japanese food, Korean, etc.

So many better places to try the local foods.

If you plan on going to the USS Arizona Memorial, it is definitely a good idea to book tickets in advance. You can reserve them online at Recreation.gov two months in advance.

You would reserve the tickets for a specific time, so you need to figure out what time you could get there from the ship. You can take a taxi or go by local bus - there is no reason to book a tour to get there.

A ticket to the USS Arizona Memorial is free, but you would have to pay a $1.50 non-refundable service fee for each ticket for an advance online reservation. If you're only there one day on a cruise, I think the price is well worth it.

If you are interested in the United States in World War II in the Pacific, you can easily spend all day at the Pearl Harbor Historic Sites - the USS Arizona Memorial, the Battleship Missouri Memorial, the Pacific Aviation Museum (on Ford Island), and the USS Bowfin Submarine Museum.

On Grand Princess on 23/3/18 first time in Hawaii and San Francisco. Besides the obvious what would people recommend we see. Have 2 days in San Fran flying in from Heathrow.:) Nigel & Sharon

Contact gorabbitgo.com. Fantastic tour company for all Islands. Only one able to do tour "into" the National Cemetery.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In San Francisco, your lodging place might determine where you go with ease. There are so many options there. Consider the Hop On-Hop Off bus to get a sense of what and where and when and how. Talk to the folks at the front desk of you hotel and ask them about priorities.

Are you adventurous? Walk off the ship in any port in Hawaii (except Lahaina, where you tender in) and ask someone where they are going and why. Follow...or not. Once, several years ago, we rented a car in each port and then just drove. A stop light? Left? Right? Or straight ahead? Exploring like that might not be for you for the first trip to Hawaii.

Whatever you do, buy some postcards and send them home to friends and family. It might take a while to get there, but you'll have lots of topics of conversation once you get home.

Jim

You have a Frisco in Texas, and there is one in Colorado. But there isn't one in California. There is, however, a San Francisco.

;) Yes!

EDITED TO ADD: Unless nukesubsailer is a navy person. For some reason, San Franciscans give a pass to navy personnel on the "Frisco" issue.

Edited by Shmoo here

Interesting choice of restaurants. All of them are (US) mainland chains. Please try the local foods instead (not necessarily just poi).

Honolulu: Side Street Inn, Waiola Shave Ice, Leonards Bakery, Chinese food/dim sum, Japanese food, Korean, etc.

Yeah, I thought that was a joke when I first read it. Might as well just go to Downtown Disney.

Or find a shrimp truck!

It may be too late but think you should try to get tickets to Alcatraz.

I would not waste my time in Oakland, especially if you only have 2 days here ... I worked down by Lake Merritt for years....yuk! That's my opinion, anyway.

Things to do in or nearby SF:

Muir Woods

Angel Island

Hyde Street Pier

Coit Tower

Exploratorium

China Town

Sausalito

Ghirardelli Square

Ferry Building

Cable Car

Fisherman's Wharf

Pampanito Submarine

Aquarium by the Bay

Golden Gate Park / DeYoung Museum / Japanese Tea Gardens

Napa Valley / Wine Train

US Mint

So many things to do or see in or nearby SF.

Oh ...and Boudins on/near the Wharf, by far, has the best clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl. You won't be sorry.

In San Francisco, don't eat in Fisherman's Wharf, touristy, too expensive and too chain. Go into North Beach for fantastic and authentic Italian, Original Joe's is fantastic. Tony's Pizza is fantastic also, but be prepared for long lines.

When I was in Kauai I had the best burger in Hanalei at Bubba's Burgers, not a chain and not affiliated with Bubba Gumps.