Flow rider-Falling

So explain to me. When you fall on the flow rider, doesn’t it hurt?! It looks painful in all of the videos I see, unless the ground is padded under the water? Also I am thinking about kneeling on the board for a safer ride, but is there anyway to quit the surf without falling?? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So explain to me. When you fall on the flow rider, doesn’t it hurt?! It looks painful in all of the videos I see, unless the ground is padded under the water? Also I am thinking about kneeling on the board for a safer ride, but is there anyway to quit the surf without falling?? Thanks!

Only thing I hurt was my pride lol, local water park has had one a few years now and I figured I'd try it out, was doing ok but when I wiped out I almost lost my shorts! I had worn an older pair of swim shorts that day and the elastic was gone in them, had them tied but apparently not quite tight enough, I felt them slip over my butt a little and grabbed them with one hand, eyes closed (blind if my contacts got knocked out) I proceeded to "gator roll" out of the current till I could stand up. My crowd got a good laugh out of it lol.

To more directly answer your question it's not hard, some kind of firm foam or padding covered in slick canvas

Many years ago, we saw a 20ish young lady that had very obviously had too much to drink, repeatedly lose her top while riding the FlowRider. She quickly had a following of men that were standing by for the next opportunity of visual intrigue! The FlowRider attendants finally stopped her when her bottoms ended up around her ankles as she laughed trying to pull them up! It was quite embarrassing to watch!

Yes, it's padded. If you land wrong you also get a faceful of water.

Just be aware that there are people sitting there recording people on their phones. Creeps!

I'm sure there are some people hoping to capture bathing suit malfunctions, but most people are recording cause there are some people that can do some really cool moves on it, and those of us that can't sometimes have some really funny wipeouts, see my story above lol

It can hurt. I saw one young man get his boogie board turned sideways and get slammed into the back wall. Did something to his leg, because we saw him later in a wheelchair with his leg bandaged.

The floor where your surf is like a trampoline and the back where you wash up in is padded on the sides, but not the floor much. You can imagine falling on that wrong. Injuries happen all the time. That's why you sign a few times till you can use it. Heard of broken bones, ripped off toe nails, lots of back and neck injuries, and on

The floor is like a trampoline. You can imagine falling on that wrong. Injuries happen all the time. That's why you sign a few times till you can use it. Heard of broken bones, ripped off toe nails, lots of back and neck injuries, and on

More like a wrestling mat, it's thickly cushioned but not springy.

Also I am thinking about kneeling on the board for a safer ride, but is there anyway to quit the surf without falling??

There are two kinds of boards (and session types) used on the Flowrider. You can't kneel on the stand up board - only on the boogie board. There's a lot less chance of getting hurt on the boogie board (much lower to fall from) vs. the stand up board.

My 9 year old did the boogie board. When she lost the board she face planted into the padded back wall. She was ok, but shed a few tears and didn't want to try again. My take is it is padded, but if you slam into it, it is still going to sting. I can see with the force of water how more serious injuries can happen. Also, boogie boarding is not reserved for just the kids, but smaller kids are not allowed to surf. Surfing requires you to be taller.

Be careful after you fall. The board can become entangled and the force of the water can put a lot of pressure on your joints. You also have the "bounce" effect on your head if you fall straight back. The more you tense up the more likely you could get hurt though.

Wow, what a thread.... The floor is a trampoline except at the top. The falls are mostly benign, as you are falling on a trampoline with a giant pump throwing water up it. 99.9% of falls are just a bounce and a wash away. The board on stand-up is hard and if it hits you it can do damage. The board is mostly avoidable and not really an issue. Falling is always at least uncomfortable, but when is falling anything else?

I think that most people fall and get off and never do it again. If you do it again, there is a great chance you are going to love it. Loving it means you spend thousands of dollars going on cruise after cruise. I love it. It is the reason why we cruise.

JC

It can hurt. I fell back, and the impact made it to where I could not tilt my head back much for a day or so. I gave up on stand up surfing, but the boogie boarding seemed to only attract kiddos. This was on the Allure, where they have two flow riders, one dedicated to each type. I don't recall that being an issue on the Liberty, where they had one flowmroder and dedicated times for stand up versus boogie boarding.

My teenage grandson dislocated his finger as a result of the board coming down hard and separated his fingers. The Orthopedic Surgeon he saw when he got home told him he should be alright in due time. But sometimes taking risks are not worth it. it's a fun attraction for people of all ages to try out if they have the courage. At this point all the large RCI ships are going to this. Unless there's a fatal accident it wont keep them from keeping it open.

It can hurt - especially when you're first starting. I've been on Flowrider for over 10 years and I can tell you that falling on "stand up" can hurt a lot - regardless of your age. The ground is padded, but you can land really hard and you can land the wrong way. At the top of the Flowrider the grates are hard and when the water takes you up along the grates you can hurt yourself. On boogie board, you can get still hurt yourself, but there's a lot less risk. Most on boogie board hurt themselves when they slam along the back wall when the water takes them up. In each case, knowing that when you fall, you have to move your body so your feet are facing up, can help "reduce" some of the pain, but falling is falling and it can be painful. If you are kneeling on the board, and you want to get off, you can, if able, lean on the side of the board so you end up along the side of the Flowrider where there's no current, but once you are on your knees there's usually some type of "falling". Also, if you fall off, let go of the board. The more you Flowride the more you'll learn how to minimize bad falls, and you'll find that you quickly learn what works and what doesn't work. I'd also add, the better shape you're in can help minimize injury. Let your gut tell you when you've reached a limit. Ask Sports Team for tips and suggestions. Flowrider is one of the best parts of a Royal vacation you just need to be smart about it.