RCCL new Diamond Lounge Policy?

seeyakids

While I wish they would do the unlimited anywhere on the ship during those hours for Diamond and above, I can see where “sharing” would be a huge problem and impossible to control.

I believe they are pushing people into just using their three vouchers elsewhere by leaving the Diamond lounge so crowded making it pretty much too much of a pain to enjoy!!

I swear I believe some of those people went into the DL at 3pm just to stake out their place for the 4:30 cocktail hour......LOL

To branch off to what you said, yes sometimes people are there from 3p or sometimes before. I usually cruise with my sister and mom. Mom is blind and at times we have to head to areas earlier to make it easier for her to navigate. The DL is always packed, hard to find a seat, and while it would be great if they used adjoining areas as spill over, it is would also be great if fellow guests were considerate. Some people stay in there all day, save seats, then here goes the happy hour, they drink, they laugh, then go back to their cross word or book. Why not after you have enjoyed some drinks and apps clear out so someone else can enjoy for a bit? You can read a book anywhere.

Interesting comments in this thread.

There is a simpler solution – build more ships!

The lounges and other benefits in the loyalty program is what keeps people coming back. If you ever totaled up what is spent to make Pinnacle, it will run a couple a quarter of a million dollars.

Even with the cheap seats on cheap cruises, an inside, to get 700 points low-balling at $100 a day will cost a couple $150k. Add suites and better itineraries and the amount skyrockets. Check out the prices on the Copenhagen to Boston TA - $10k for a guaranteed balcony. Seriously. Price gouging? Hmmmm. I remember when the cost of an Owner's Suite on Empress went from $2k to $13k for the Cuba sailings.

If you were a businessman/women, the cost of a few drinks to bring in that amount of revenue would be a write off. They probably pay a dollar a bottle for their Tisdale wine unless it's comped to them for selling other products from the same company. So what if guests can’t get in. You, as a cruise line, offered the lounges and drinks. It’s not the lines fault that guests can’t get in. Could be like Carnival Legend and get into a brawl. But then you get booted off.

If Royal were to make changes, there are other cruise lines that will give you kinda equivalent benefits. Would you, as management, risk losing the revenue? If I were the CEO of one of the other cruise lines, I would offer equivalent benefits for someone to jump ship and become one of my loyalists. Just like in business you offer a signing bonus. Even for a year to try out the line. MSC is doing something to that effect. I would love to have guests jumping ship and spending $50-$100k annually on my ships. I'd gladly give them Tisdale wine.

Another possibility is to raise the points for Diamond to 300, Diamond Plus to 600, and Pinnacle to somewhere up there. But, that would only get people upset and they would bail to other lines.

They could also ditch Diamond and D+ and only allow Pinnacles access to a lounge. Look at Celebrity with Michael’s Club and Zenith’s. The Elites and Elite + get the equivalent of the Viking Crown lounge and tiny martini glasses. The line to get in is like an early bird special in Florida.

I have tried many cruise lines, and there are others that have better itineraries. Other lines have given me upgrades and I had only one previous cruise with them. Never got one from Royal. If the benefits go, so will I.

I do remember when Diamonds could only get beer and wine and D+ got mixed drinks.

At any rate, it took a long time to get here to Pinnacle (18 years) and I will enjoy all the benefits while they exist.

Gotta go pack - the sea is calling.....

If RCI is going to make any changes to the Loyalty program they need to "Just Do It". Some won't be happy but with the growing # of C&A members something has to change.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Forums mobile app

Several posters have already said that they would be happy with 5 vouchers to use where they want to go instead of overcrowding the DL.

Most people might not use all 5 so there is no need for RC to alienate anyone and it could be a win/win for everyone involved.

It’s only a win win for the people not removed from a lounge where it’s unlimited. You aren’t kidding anyone. We know what you’d like to happen already. In fact, about 35 times.

We cruise in Europe and from Dubai and never not been able to get a seat so it hasn't ever affected us.

My comments are in response to our friends in the US who are now reporting RC are stopping overflow lounges from US based cruises.

In a perfect world things would stay the same but if they do change a fair compromise should be offered without losing goodwill amongst certain C&A tiers.

Spoke to do concierge on freedom. She said that Miami does not want overflow. They want people to go elsewhere and use their 3 drinks on seapass.

And yet ,on the 1-28-18 sailing , she allowed everyone to get drinks, snacks ,etc in the lounge and take them out to the VCL as an overflow.

The DL servers were actually bringing drinks out to people in the VCL as an overflow lounge.

The DL floor was never even closed, as in propped open, so no key was even needed. It was chaos.

And yet ,on the 1-28-18 sailing , she allowed everyone to get drinks, snacks ,etc in the lounge and take them out to the VCL as an overflow.

The DL servers were actually bringing drinks out to people in the VCL as an overflow lounge.

The DL floor was never even closed, as in propped open, so no key was even needed. It was chaos.

As our Host Clarea often says

RC are consistently inconsistent.

Several posters have already said that they would be happy with 5 vouchers to use where they want to go instead of overcrowding the DL.

Most people might not use all 5 so there is no need for RC to alienate anyone and it could be a win/win for everyone involved.

I’m back!!

Sure, why not just give unlimited drinks on SeaPass during cocktail hours. Lol

Don’t see Royal giving more FREE drinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Or start trying other cruise lines. I have been curious to see what other lines are like lately but since we've become diamond the drink perks (which are just right for us now) make it too tempting to stay with RC. If this diamond perk goes away and only diamond plus and above have access, I will definitely try other lines. Not saying I won't sail RC anymore but there will be nothing to keep me loyal. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one thinking this and I'm also pretty sure RC doesn't want to risk upsetting all of those diamond members.

We are D+ and this perk has made the difference for us since we were D. We take 2 cruises a year and haven’t sailed on another line for a decade. Keep talking about if but we really like the lounge and drink service level. Without this we would definitely be giving Norwegian and Princess a try just to see what they have to offer.

I’m back!!

Sure, why not just give unlimited drinks on SeaPass during cocktail hours. Lol

Don’t see Royal giving more FREE drinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Welcome back.

We have no problems with overcrowding DLs in Europe as it is a US phenomenon.

As someone who tries to be fair when posting if RC box clever they can make a positive PR exercise and allieveate the overcrowding in the US DLs by a reasonable number of D drink vouchers for diamonds which will stop them being disillusioned and going to RC competitors.

We like the wine too in the DL/CL.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise you both deserve it.

Thanks Graham! The next cruise is a long...long time from now...sigh. :(

But this is "Land Yacht" cruising time now...so come on boot...start walking! :cool:

Spoke to do concierge on freedom. She said that Miami does not want overflow. They want people to go elsewhere and use their 3 drinks on seapass.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

That's why I was surprised to see both the CL and the DL had open door overflows into connecting lounges on Rhapsody last week. Apparently not all ships in the fleet doing away with the overflow.

Oh wait a minute....RCI: Really Consistently Inconsistent. ;p

Thanks for the information.

By allowing 3-5 drinks especially anywhere at any time during the day would be good PR by RC and would IMO keep diamonds onboard.

The C&A lounge would then be a true loyalty lounge for D+and P.

Totally agree...that would solve the issue. But also would be nice to add a couple of specialty coffee vouchers to those drink vouchers.

Welcome back.

We have no problems with overcrowding DLs in Europe as it is a US phenomenon.

As someone who tries to be fair when posting if RC box clever they can make a positive PR exercise and allieveate the overcrowding in the US DLs by a reasonable number of D drink vouchers for diamonds which will stop them being disillusioned and going to RC competitors.

Yes, absolutely!

Thanks Graham! The next cruise is a long...long time from now...sigh. :(

But this is "Land Yacht" cruising time now...so come on boot...start walking! :cool:

We are taking our niece and her partner to our favourite hotel in Spain for 3 nights in a couple of weeks time.

Next cruise is on Independence for 5 nights out of Southampton England 28th May.

Your Land Yacht sounds brilliant.