What's the rudest or strangest thing you've seen recently on a Royal Caribbean ship?

The only two instances I have on an RCI ship were both instances of entitlement. One was with two people who ensured that everyone around them knew they were D+ demanding people move in the main theatre as thy arrived 2 minutes before show time and wanted to sit wherever they pleased. They were sure to announce their C&A status and claimed they had a “right” to demand other people move for them. Other instance was a particular woman in a motorized scooter who would force her way to the front of the elevator line, and literally cut off/run over people to get into the elevator first. I have no problem allowing them to go first....simply be polite about it. I was sure to not let her in front of anyone and made her wait for the next one-only because of her attitude. Sur, two wrongs don’t make a right, but allowing her to continue only contributes to her own rudeness.

The most rude thing I remember was on a Princess cruise. There was an extended family of NY/NJ people (at least appeared to be due to their accents), who had booked a group of 3 or 4 inside cabins across the hall from us. They would leave their cabin doors propped open, usually until about 2am. Instead of walking or calling on the phone from cabin to cabin, they would all simply yell down the hallway from room to room. A couple of attempts to discuss the issue with them went nowhere. A few calls to security eventually took care of the issue.

My wife and I got on an elevator and had a woman who I'll assume was British based on her accent, ask us to "Please exit this lift and find another, I do not want to share a confined space with Americans"

:eek::eek::eek:

Good thing there wasn’t an emergency that required ship evacuation....”I don’t want to share a confined lifeboat with Brits.....” 😜

My wife and I got on an elevator and had a woman who I'll assume was British based on her accent, ask us to "Please exit this lift and find another, I do not want to share a confined space with Americans"

As a Brit i would be happy to share the lift with Americans.

I would have said to them Get out yourselves.

While this situation is unfortunate; I understand that it can happen. However, there are certain places that a laptop should not be taken due to the ambiance - and I would label the MDR, specialty restaurants, and theater/lounge shows as such

I don’t know if my wife was ever tempted to do so, but thankfully she never brought her laptop to the MDR or the main theater. These days, when we go on vacation and she sees someone on their laptop, she shivers and says “I can’t believe that used to be me”, but not in a judgemental way, but more on a “I get it” way. Sometimes you don’t realize how bad something is until you see someone else going through the same things you used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Tapi

As a Brit i would be happy to share the lift with Americans.

I would have said to them Get out yourselves.

I’ve never personally ran into any rude Brits. They’ve always been extremely pleasant and polite.

Maybe elevators bring out the worst in people...

Another woman, myself and a couple boarded an empty elevator. Since the man was standing in front of the panel, I asked if he could push the button for 7. The other woman said, yes 7, please.

The man turned around and practically screamed at us, "We're going to 10!!!"

So we went to 10 and the couple got off. We just sort of looked at each other and rode back down to 7. :rolleyes:

I'd have told her to f*** off. People like that only understand rudeness, so there's no point being polite.

Got you beat.. standing in buffet line for lunch. Man "farmer" blows his nose onto floor. I almost went spastic! I don't care what happens in the kitchens now. I ALWAYS eat in dining rooms.

How do you know he was a farmer? He did what did because he was inconsiderate or not quite right in the head not because of his occupation:mad: Gee my DH is a farmer and wouldn't dream of doing such a thing. :eek:

It’s called runners blow where I’m from!

On Oasis last summer they had the weekly ‘once in a lifetime’ Michael Kors purse sale out on the main drag, when they dropped the rope this one group of ladies literally grabbed armfuls of the purses and walked back over to the Sorrento’s seating area to pick out which they wanted. No RC staff seemed to even be watching as these women walked off with about 50 purses! I couldn’t believe it!

On Allure, we were standing in line waiting for our cards to be scanned for the ice show. We were next to be scanned when a man and woman literally shoved us aside and said, "We're suite people so we get in first." The Royal employee very nicely said, "You will go to the end of the line, sir" and proceeded to reach for my sea pass card and scan it. She continued to scan other cards and did not look at the guy. I don't know what happened after I went inside, but that same guy got on the elevator with us after the show. It was a packed elevator and we were in the back. He and his wife refused to move when we got to our floor. I kept saying "excuse us" and he would not budge. The doors shut and he smiled. I asked him if he felt better now and he ignored me. We both got off at the next floor and he went on his merry way. Some people are just jerks.

You're a much calmer person than me because if I said excuse me more than once and people made not attempt to move my anger would get the best of me and I would just start shoving!

Genuinely shocked at that.

We are not all like it....

DW and I decided to have breakfast in the MD. I wanted the buffet and my Wife chose table service. At the buffet, I went down the line, choosing my options. First, bacon. Next, potatoes. I stepped over to the scrambled eggs, lifted the lid and went for the serving spoon, but before I could grab it, some $&@&& woman grabbed it, almost stepped on my feet, and began filling her plate, while I’m still holding the lid. No “excuse me” or “thank you”, just complete inconsideration, rude and disrespectful. I almost lost it. I got back to the table and my wife asked me why my ears were so red. I told her the story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the Freedom in December:

Saw a couple in the pool licking each others tongues. Literally sticking their tongues the whole way out and licking the other person's tongue. Like tongue fencing. It was beyond gross and really strange too. This was around noon in the solarium. Take it to your room.

Stood up to leave the variety show in the theater and happened to look on the floor of the the row behind me and saw a stack of pizza crusts. I guess it would have been too much of a bother to not throw the crusts on the floor. There was probably 4 or 5 of them laying there.

In the MDR a little boy (maybe around 11) tied his napkin to his head like a hat. Ok he's a little kid, so what? Not a problem. But then every adult at the table tied napkins to their head as a hat. They did this on more than one night. I'll chalk that one up to more odd than rude. :D

I guess I must be odd or rude also. Just this morning we were at breakfast with my family. My young granddaughter took her dads hat and put it on backwards. My other son and I each took out hats and put them on backwards as well. Then we all laughed. I don't think anyone else at the restaurant really cared what we did.

Most disgusting - we were seated in the MDR with a lovely young family. Mom, dad and two young girls. While enjoying our entrees the oldest girl (6years old) started to vomit on the table. Within a few minutes the 3 year old joined her.

Strangest- dining with a gentleman that brought his own tin foil to wrap up his leftovers to take back to his cabin for later.

Genuinely shocked at that.

We are not all like it....

We know that, and knew it when it happened, we have a number of European friends that we travel with every chance we get. My comment wasn't meant to stereotype British but this cruise was odd, it was a 14 day Caribbean cruise but Americans were in the minority. During the Captains gala, the captain was listing passenger demographics and numbers. When he announced how many Americans were on board, the loud booing from the crowd was disappointing. Even though we met many pleasant people, there was tension in the air for the entire trip. And I know it wasn't us, we're about as laid back and easy going as a couple could get.

One of my fears travelling abroad is that we as Americans are disliked and looked down upon, mostly because of government actions out of the control of us travelers. Or because of manipulating BS media stories that paint us all as racist murdering thugs from a nation of complete civil unrest. Which couldn't be further from the truth..

Edited by snownyet

I guess I must be odd or rude also. Just this morning we were at breakfast with my family. My young granddaughter took her dads hat and put it on backwards. My other son and I each took out hats and put them on backwards as well. Then we all laughed. I don't think anyone else at the restaurant really cared what we did.

The point was they were NAPKINS not hats. So yes it looked ridiculous for adults to sit in the MDR at dinner with napkins tied to their heads night after night. But to each his/her own. :')

If I had to wait 25 minutes for tablemates to show up for a waiter to take my order, I'd have said something on day 1. IMHO, the doors should have been closed by 25 minutes so the couple wouldn't have been able to join in anyways.

On that particular cruise Day 1 in the MDR was the worst I've ever seen - more people had our table number than there were seats, and from the confusion we saw, I think the problem was widespread.

I agree that we should have protested on Day 2. I think we all felt sorry for the waiter, who was the most timid crew member I've ever seen. He was actually wringing his hands trying to decide what to do. The headwaiter didn't earn any extra tip that time - we never saw him.

That was our worst RCI cruise. Morale among the crew was noticeably bad, but we still had a good time.

Margy

Edited by Margy23
typo

I do agree that seeing someone working on a laptop at the MDR may raise fellow cruiser’s curiosity, but I don’t necessarily agree that it would be considered rude unless others are being bothered by the lit screen or audio. Plenty of people have working dinners or lunches at restaurants on land, even at fine dining establishments.

With all of that said, I am not going to judge those who must work on vacation and who unfortunately must be glued to a laptop. For many years, my wife had an extremely demanding, high pressure, high stress corporate job with tight deadlines. Although this job provided the means for us to pay our bills and even go on vacation, it also demanded a lot of time that should’ve otherwise been spent as a family. Those with this type of job know that being on vacation doesn’t mean that you get to disconnect from work. Deadlines still need to be met, and your company doesn’t care how you get the job done as long as (sometimes unrealistic) goals are met. And they don’t care if a deadline happens to conflict with family time at dinner.

My wife was guilty of taking work on vacation with us more than once. Although she never took her laptop to the MDR, she did take it with her to other venues around the ship, and even on shore excursions. She believed that, even if she needed to work on a project that had a deadline right in the middle of an activity on the ship, at least she could be physically present with us and partially enjoy the vacation. This option seemed more appropriate than staying behind while the rest of the family enjoyed the vacation without her.

Many times, she felt tortured because she was required to choose between work time and family time. If work was neglected, then our family finances were neglected. It wasn’t a good place to be but unfortunately one that we found ourselves in, and one which many other families face these days.

Long story short, the demands and high pressure of her job finally took a toll on her health and she was forced to make the tough decision to leave a career that she’d had for 15 years. Fortunately by then, I had advanced enough in my career to minimize the financial impact that the elimination of her career would have, as long as we made some adjustments.

We are now in a much better place, and what we lost financially, our family has tremendously gained in other blessings that can’t be measured in dollars. But for many years, we couldn’t see a different path than the one that we had taken.

Because I personally know how hard it is to find oneself in that position, I can’t judge others who still find themselves trapped in the demands of a high energy and high pressure job and who must power up their laptop at inopportune times on vacation. I don’t personally know what their own responsibilities or career demands are. All I can hope for is that they can eventually find a way to break free from that type of life.

Some may consider a laptop at the MDR to be bothersome, rude or distracting. But I personally consider it more rude and self righteous to judge someone who may find themselves in a position where they feel forced to take work with them, even to dinner.

As has been pointed out by many, the KIDS were making several trips to look at the screen. This is Rude in almost all circles. It wouldn't have ruined my cruise because I would have left after telling the Waiter why. Unless the kids were giving work advice, I am gone.

I'll start ... just recently on the Navigator, during dinner service, someone had a laptop on the table where his place setting should be. His kids kept coming around to see what was on his screen. I mean ... really!!??

Maybe they were all reviewing what they did that day and just reliving it.

We know that, and knew it when it happened, we have a number of European friends that we travel with every chance we get. My comment wasn't meant to stereotype British but this cruise was odd, it was a 14 day Caribbean cruise but Americans were in the minority. During the Captains gala, the captain was listing passenger demographics and numbers. When he announced how many Americans were on board, the loud booing from the crowd was disappointing. Even though we met many pleasant people, there was tension in the air for the entire trip. And I know it wasn't us, we're about as laid back and easy going as a couple could get.

One of my fears travelling abroad is that we as Americans are disliked and looked down upon, mostly because of government actions out of the control of us travelers. Or because of manipulating BS media stories that paint us all as racist murdering thugs from a nation of complete civil unrest. Which couldn't be further from the truth..

Apologies, didn't mean to imply you were stereotyping as I didn't read your post that way. I was genuinely shocked at the rudeness of fellow Brits.

Funnily enough whilst we didn't get booing, at the flag of nations thing they do on the smaller ships it went instantly muted when the United Kingdom was mentioned on our Dubai cruise.

You're a much calmer person than me because if I said excuse me more than once and people made not attempt to move my anger would get the best of me and I would just start shoving!

Exactly! That’s why God gave you elbows!

Maybe they were all reviewing what they did that day and just reliving it.

At the dinner table? If so, that was really rude. That is why you have a cabin and the ship has a library and all the open decks. Sorry, I don't think anyone has the right to affect your time on your vacation in a negative manner. Have a great day.

A woman hand feeding a dog in a stroller in the MDR.

I have never seen a dog on a cruise, not sure I wouldn’t have said something. I am all for service animals but very few are for service mainly ill mannered pets