What's the rudest or strangest thing you've seen recently on a Royal Caribbean ship?

How do you know it was not important? It would be naive and ignorant to automatically assume it was frivolous activity. My wife is an international tax attorney. She deals with clients who also live overseas. Bedtime for you, mid work day for them. Business never sleeps. Neither does international commerce.

For some, a vacation does not mean a cutoff from work.

Since we don’t know what this person was actually doing with said laptop. Presenting that as rude, is unfounded and in itself rude.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It is rude to be working at a dinner table. I don't give a rat's a$$ what their work schedule is or who they are dealing with. If they need to work then they need to do it elsewhere. If they are hungry then go find a place in the buffet and work. If the kids kept getting up to see what he's doing then that would be very distracting since the tables are usually close to each other. It probably also means that they have no quality time and the kids are lacking attention.

No, not convinced... it seems to only bother selective people. Who are focused so much so on others, rather than the people they are with. Says lots about ones self.

Playing devils advocate once again, maybe they feel like my wife does. Loosing so much time due to work, every minute in physical presence of loved ones, even working at the table is still time with family. That’s not being rude.

Now, if he/she was playing candycrush, or watching a show. That would be rude. So lets give that person the benefit of doubt. Speculation is not burden of proof.

Seriously, you call that family time? What's so important on their vacation that the parent can't even spend some time with the kids. If that's considered family time then I feel sorry for the kids and that person. Anyone can be a sperm donor, but it takes some work to be a real father. Having a parent present, but not really present at all does not make one a good parent. Maybe this is something you are familiar with? Says lots about ones self.

Someone who feels like they are losing so much work time when they are on vacation must be an absolute bore. Why even take a vacation? Is money/material things more important than the family?

"No, not convinced...", "Speculation is not burden of proof."

Seriously, I doubt anyone here cares if you are convinced. Who do you think we are, the jury? Talk about one not being able to separate work from other aspects of their life. Says lots about ones self.

Maybe some people should pay close attention to this. I think the last 2 paragraphs says a lot.

http://time.com/money/3698791/japan-workers-vacation/

"While Japan is working on decreasing unused days, America seems to be heading the other way. Use of vacation days are at their lowest point in the past four decades, the Oxford Economics study found.

Fears of keeping your job, being passed over for promotions or lead projects, coming back to a staggering pile of work, or feeling like you’re the only one who can do your job all push Americans to stay at the office—or, when they do actually take a holiday, to do some work remotely. Employment website Glassdoor found that 61% of us have logged on while we were supposed to be logged off.

This shift can hurt us big time when you consider that employees who use more vacation days end up with better performance reviews, according to internal research by audit firm EY. Increased vacation time has also been linked to increased worker productivity, other research has shown."

With this being said, let's get back to the op's original question.

A woman hand feeding a dog in a stroller in the MDR.

This is rude and gross. Like the lady that would let her dog poop wherever it wanted to and expect the crew to always clean it up. That's beyond rude and gross.

It is rude to be working at a dinner table. I don't give a rat's a$$ what their work schedule is or who they are dealing with. If they need to work then they need to do it elsewhere. If they are hungry then go find a place in the buffet and work. If the kids kept getting up to see what he's doing then that would be very distracting since the tables are usually close to each other. It probably also means that they have no quality time and the kids are lacking attention.

Seriously, you call that family time? What's so important on their vacation that the parent can't even spend some time with the kids. If that's considered family time then I feel sorry for the kids and that person. Anyone can be a sperm donor, but it takes some work to be a real father. Having a parent present, but not really present at all does not make one a good parent. Maybe this is something you are familiar with? Says lots about ones self.

Someone who feels like they are losing so much work time when they are on vacation must be an absolute bore. Why even take a vacation? Is money/material things more important than the family?

"No, not convinced...", "Speculation is not burden of proof."

Seriously, I doubt anyone here cares if you are convinced. Who do you think we are, the jury? Talk about one not being able to separate work from other aspects of their life. Says lots about ones self.

I was about to post about the same - I fully agree with you.

My feeling is - Yes he would. I can´t picture Mario sitting with a laptop in the Dining room - not Mario´s style.

For one thing, he rarely eats in the Main Dining Room. He's a Windjammer kinda guy, unless someone is hosting him at the Captain's Table or a specialty restaurant.

:D

On the Navigator Christmas Sailing, in the Theatre during the show, for the whole show, lady in front of me had her bare feet up on seat in front of her (and boy they were ugly feet!). My son held me back from tapping her on shoulder (she had a VERY big man with her). We were ‘trapped’ in middle of the row and I would not just leave in middle of the performance, that is rude too. On exiting the theatre I asked one of the cleaners to santize the back of that seat telling him the situation and she heard me!

Ugh disgusting behavior!

Cheers!

Joan

Playing devils advocate once again, maybe they feel like my wife does. Loosing so much time due to work, every minute in physical presence of loved ones, even working at the table is still time with family. That’s not being rude.

I consider it rude. Even if it´s happening in your own home, it´s still rude towards your family and not really giving your children a good example, but YMMV obviously on this and I feel very sorry for your kids to be brought up like this.

Doing this in a restaurant is still rude towards the people at your table and even more towards the waiters trying to serve you around your "business". It might be OK at McD´s, but not in a cruise ships dining room.

You would definitely not want to be at my table. A bunch of loudmouth NJ,NY litigators who never stop working.

In fact, we have a large group sailing next Nov. on the Anthem. One of my friends actually booked two of his staff in the cabin next to their suite. So work can be conducted. Thats a lifestyle. Not many can live with.

But like everyone else, we all see things with different color filters.

You are correct, I definitely wouldn´t want to be at your table and I wouldn´t want to be next to or even in close proximity to your table of loudmouth people.:eek:

I don´t care what peoples lifestyle is and if you call this a lifestyle. :rolleyes: I don´t care if your friend takes his empoyees on the cruise to conduct work. They can do this all they want and when they want, as long as they don´t impact the experience of others. The dining room is not the place for this, just as the i.e. the theatre wouldn´t be the place for this. There´s plenty of places where you can do as you please without disturbing others.

If you think it isn´t anybody elses business and they should mind their own business it says a lot about more about you than the one feeling disturbed by you.

Being polite / not rude includes to be aware of your surroundings, respect the people around you and behave in a way that has no impact on the people around you.

During the love and marriage game show a couple admitted to having relations in the pool the night before to everyone. This was on Freedom July 2015.

Been on lots of cruises and have never seen this.

Pools and Hot tubs are frequently mentioned, but I´ve also heard the Windjammer and the Main Theatre mentioned:hearteyes::').

Actually the last two were mentioned by the same couple, so they didn´t get a point for matching answers:'):'):')

...during dinner service, someone had a laptop on the table where his place setting should be.

Sorry, working on laptop or conducting business is just rude. Just excuse yourself and deal with it on your own

If it was that important I would be on the Laptop in my room, certainly not in the dining room.

I consider it rude. Even if it´s happening in your own home, it´s still rude towards your family...

I don´t care what peoples lifestyle is and if you call this a lifestyle. :rolleyes:

It is rude to be working at a dinner table. I don't give a rat's a$$ what their work schedule is or who they are dealing with. If they need to work then they need to do it elsewhere.

I do agree that seeing someone working on a laptop at the MDR may raise fellow cruiser’s curiosity, but I don’t necessarily agree that it would be considered rude unless others are being bothered by the lit screen or audio. Plenty of people have working dinners or lunches at restaurants on land, even at fine dining establishments.

With all of that said, I am not going to judge those who must work on vacation and who unfortunately must be glued to a laptop. For many years, my wife had an extremely demanding, high pressure, high stress corporate job with tight deadlines. Although this job provided the means for us to pay our bills and even go on vacation, it also demanded a lot of time that should’ve otherwise been spent as a family. Those with this type of job know that being on vacation doesn’t mean that you get to disconnect from work. Deadlines still need to be met, and your company doesn’t care how you get the job done as long as (sometimes unrealistic) goals are met. And they don’t care if a deadline happens to conflict with family time at dinner.

My wife was guilty of taking work on vacation with us more than once. Although she never took her laptop to the MDR, she did take it with her to other venues around the ship, and even on shore excursions. She believed that, even if she needed to work on a project that had a deadline right in the middle of an activity on the ship, at least she could be physically present with us and partially enjoy the vacation. This option seemed more appropriate than staying behind while the rest of the family enjoyed the vacation without her.

Many times, she felt tortured because she was required to choose between work time and family time. If work was neglected, then our family finances were neglected. It wasn’t a good place to be but unfortunately one that we found ourselves in, and one which many other families face these days.

Long story short, the demands and high pressure of her job finally took a toll on her health and she was forced to make the tough decision to leave a career that she’d had for 15 years. Fortunately by then, I had advanced enough in my career to minimize the financial impact that the elimination of her career would have, as long as we made some adjustments.

We are now in a much better place, and what we lost financially, our family has tremendously gained in other blessings that can’t be measured in dollars. But for many years, we couldn’t see a different path than the one that we had taken.

Because I personally know how hard it is to find oneself in that position, I can’t judge others who still find themselves trapped in the demands of a high energy and high pressure job and who must power up their laptop at inopportune times on vacation. I don’t personally know what their own responsibilities or career demands are. All I can hope for is that they can eventually find a way to break free from that type of life.

Some may consider a laptop at the MDR to be bothersome, rude or distracting. But I personally consider it more rude and self righteous to judge someone who may find themselves in a position where they feel forced to take work with them, even to dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Tapi

On our recent Anthem cruise both my wife and I were hit from behind on separate occasions by the same wheelchair occupied by an older Asian man and being pushed by an older Asian lady. DW was hit so hard that bruising on the back of her leg resulted.

Neither time did that lady or man say anything or apologize for hitting us. They just walked or rolled away as if nothing had happened.

Maybe there was a language barrier for not doing so but we quickly learned to be on the lookout to avoid that couple and their dangerous wheelchair.

This last cruise on NV, there was an older man that was screaming at the poor lady that was taking the orders and handing out the completed omelettes. You know how they hand you the small plate, but most of us just want it on our bigger plate that we already have.... well he screamed at her to "drop it on the plate," several times. He finally snatched it out of her hand, dumped it on his plate, and tossed the small plate back at the hot area near the woman. :o

You would definitely not want to be at my table. A bunch of loudmouth NJ,NY litigators who never stop working.

Sounds like a rude table to me. And if your wife works on a laptop in the MDR during a meal, she's rude.

I get it. She's special to you, and can do no wrong. But this type of behavior is rude. Period.

We came to our room to change one afternoon, and we were out on the balcony enjoying the view. We look straight down onto a public deck several stories below us, and we saw a man masturbating. Kids running around a few feet away. Husband reported it, turns out they caught this guy on camera feeling himself by the pool deck watching a group of girls. He got kicked off at the next port. I have a pic to prove it but probably best not to post it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Once we were at a table for 10 where one couple showed up 25 minutes late every night. Finally, on Day 3, the waiter took our orders and served our starters without waiting for them. When the late couple showed up, the woman read him out, complaining that he should have known they were coming and waited for them; she said she's a travel agent and is too busy doing business in the Diamond Lounge to "worry about" coming to dinner on time. However, for the rest of the cruise they did show up no more than five minutes late.

Another rude passenger was a man in line at Guest Services to remove his tips, loudly telling everyone that the company steals the crews' tips so we should all remove our tips. That isn't what the rest of us were there for.

The third rude passenger I remember was at our table and kept summoning the headwaiter to complain that someone was violating the dress code and should be removed from the MDR. After three such requests, another man at our table remarked that for formal night, he was not wearing a suit. We didn't have to worry about the complainer any more - he asked for a new table and moved.

We've been on 38 cruises, so I think this means most people are civil, if not downright friendly.

Margy

No, not convinced... it seems to only bother selective people. Who are focused so much so on others, rather than the people they are with. Says lots about ones self.

Now, if he/she was playing candycrush, or watching a show. That would be rude. So lets give that person the benefit of doubt. Speculation is not burden of proof.

It’s rude to the staff, if they need to work at their computer during dinner they can go to the WJ

Pools and Hot tubs are frequently mentioned, but I´ve also heard the Windjammer and the Main Theatre mentioned:hearteyes::').

Actually the last two were mentioned by the same couple, so they didn´t get a point for matching answers:'):'):')

Lifeboats and stairwells

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app