Any NEWS on VV? Please post it here...

wwcruisers

On 2/20/2020 at 9:03 AM, AlyssaJames said:

I was checking out this Forbes article:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2019/02/14/reinventing-cruises-new-virgin-cruise-line-from-richard-branson-sets-sail/#7e97158677fd

And caught this quote:

"Many ocean goers who are not traveling with the most luxurious and expensive lines (like Crystal, Seven Seas, Oceania, Azamara Club Cruises, etc.) are shocked to discover they are a very captive audience forced to pay high rates for basic necessities like soft drinks and water, even when meals are included. This is especially costly and annoying to families, and the most frequent cruise industry complaint I hear from consumers (though the first season of Virgin Voyages will be 18 and older only)."

First season? What does that mean? Are they already backing off on the adults-only thing?

They have previously said that they might open up to families on subsequent ships.  

1 minute ago, younglegend said:

They have previously said that they might open up to families on subsequent ships.  

I think VALLIANT LADY will also be adult's only, but after that who knows?  Obviously the design of the ships will have to be tweaked and reworked to appeal to families.    

I don't see Virgin going after kids market-At least not the younger ones-The ships are not big enough to add kid activities, and the model, of free sodas and such would be more costly with kids....

I could see them lowering the age to say, 16 or older---But then they would have to get rid of the topless area..

7 hours ago, garymfreedman said:

I don't see Virgin going after kids market-At least not the younger ones-The ships are not big enough to add kid activities, and the model, of free sodas and such would be more costly with kids....

I could see them lowering the age to say, 16 or older---But then they would have to get rid of the topless area..

I read somewhere a few weeks ago someone say they had already canned the topless area...

I´m new to cruising, never been on a cruise before but Virgin caught my interest. I have been waiting to see the real spaces which have been coming out on insta from the Dover event. It looks amazing. 

I´m so looking forward to my voyage after seeing some of these images, the spaces and especially the  dining I am seeing are really impressive. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, garymfreedman said:

Plenty of mass market ships have had topless areas over the years. I'll have to find the article where they mention that they'll be expanding down the road. They'll likely have different features for future ships anyway. 

This is a good article that covers many aspects of the ship and questions that have come up:  https://thepointsguy.com/news/first-look-scarlet-lady-virgin-voyages/

Notable observations:

• Rockstar Suite in-cabin mini bar includes either 200ml or 375ml bottled spirits (I couldn't make out the labels clearly) + wine and mixers.  Some had asked whether they'd be full bottles, looks like they are smaller bottles.  There were four in the image (Tito's Vodka, Bacardi Silver Rum, Hendrick's Gin, Casa Nobel Tequila, and Buffalo Trace Bourbon), not clear on whether you can request others.
  • Restaurants are all free, but do have up-charges for certain add-ons (truffle in the Italian restaurant, lobster prawn scallop halibut dish in Agave = $30).
  • Cocktails were priced at $10-14, which means "basic cocktails" that are mentioned on the website at $9, may well be mixer + spirit (e.g. Rum and Coke).
  • Red Room was shown with a setup that has the performance space in the middle of the room which was cool.
  • Standard pre-drawn tattoos $150.
  • The writer mentions spa day passes at $125 for sea days and $75 for port days, which seems incredibly high to me for a single day use. I'm used to seeing those prices for the full length of the cruise. Maybe it's all sea days or all port days, not sure.
  • Mud Room was mentioned and I hadn't seen that previously.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, AlyssaJames said:

Ouch. That better come with more than a hottub and some stone loungers.

If that's the true price that's crazy expensive and more than any cruise line and even land based Spa pass. It won't fly at those prices.

I'll reserve final judgement until I board the ship on May 3rd but I feel the main pool was incorrectly designed. Having been on the Celebrity Edge cruiseship twice their pool has BOTH shallow ledges for in- water loungers AND a pool where you can actual SWIM, which people actual do swim. Here is a side by side comparison.

3BCAD00F-0F2F-491A-811F-205F30A2F726.jpe

IMG_20181221_115342_967.jpg

Edited by kwokpot

9 hours ago, kwokpot said:

I'll reserve final judgement until I board the ship on May 3rd but I feel the main pool was incorrectly designed. Having been on the Celebrity Edge cruiseship twice their pool has BOTH shallow ledges for in- water loungers AND a pool where you can actual SWIM, which people actual do swim. Here is a side by side comparison.

3BCAD00F-0F2F-491A-811F-205F30A2F726.jpe

IMG_20181221_115342_967.jpg

The pool on SCARLET LADY is a complete joke.  Huge mistake IMO.  Maybe Millennials don't swim?  EDGE of course has one of the largest pools afloat (maybe the largest), but even compared to average ship pools the one on SCARLET LADY is small and inadequate for almost 3000 pax.  And it's the only one (besides the small spa pool).  

1 hour ago, eroller said:

EDGE of course has one of the largest pools afloat (maybe the largest)

25 m - same size as on all Mein Schiff ships (1 to 7 except Mein Schiff Herz).

Cabins (ups, sorry, rooms) are a joke too! Looks more like a cheap hostel featuring IKEA.

Adam Coulter sums it up nicely... see here.

And despite their PR... no the ship does not feature the first tattoo parlor at sea. Mein Schiff 4 has one since last August (after testing it on Mein Schiff 2 in May).

steamboats

6 hours ago, steamboats said:

25 m - same size as on all Mein Schiff ships (1 to 7 except Mein Schiff Herz).

Cabins (ups, sorry, rooms) are a joke too! Looks more like a cheap hostel featuring IKEA.

Adam Coulter sums it up nicely... see here.

Thanks for the article. I like the way he ends it:

”But you know what? It works. Virgin Voyages is daring to be different, and perhaps we needed Virgin to do this.

It just may be the perfect ship for a new generation of cruisers.”

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AlyssaJames said:

Thanks for the article. I like the way he ends it:

”But you know what? It works. Virgin Voyages is daring to be different, and perhaps we needed Virgin to do this.

It just may be the perfect ship for a new generation of cruisers.”

I have to say whether or not VV is your cup of tea, it’s nice to see something different.   Very refreshing.  Choice and competition are a great thing for the consumer.  We win!  

• Like 2

I’ve been eagerly waiting to see actual photos of Scarlet Lady, and now that I have, I can’t help but feel really disappointed.  A few of you posted that you’re even more excited now that actual photos are out, I feel the opposite.  Except for some of the restaurants, everything is very dark and bland...cold even.  There’s nothing about the ship that looks relaxing.  I cringed at the photos of the mega rockstar suites.  People are paying a fortune to stay in these ultra dark boring spaces.  Those cabanas are a joke.  I guess in my opinion the decor of the ship just feels totally off.  There are some great concepts Virgin is bringing to the industry, but they definitely missed the mark on the general aesthetics (not to mention the pools) in my opinion.  Anyone know if Valiant Lady will be an exact twin decor wise?  

Seeing the interior pictures have made me all the more eager to try the ship. I don’t think the public spaces look cold at all. Most of the restaurants and bars are not dark, but sleek and comfortable (some even cozy). The Roundabout is a really neat space that is bright and airy. And I think Razzle Dazzle is amazing.

I will say I think the upper decks are more utilitarian. And I don’t know why they would have made the pool so small.

I think there are functionality issues with some furniture choices, particularly in the cabins. I wish they would have went with a more traditional sofa and bed layout, although I do applaud their innovation. 

• Like 1