Flu Season Questions

JHUNTGOLF

I agree with the above posters. Please know that antibiotics will have NO effect on the flu! The flu is a virus, not bacteria (which antibiotics treat). Definitely pack and use hand sanitizer, keep your hands from your face, obey the 3-foot rule and bring OTC medications that will relieve some symptoms.

As for salt and pepper shakers, carry tissues to pick them up, or spray them with hand sanitizer before using. Also in the buffet, use hand sanitizer AFTER getting your food and BEFORE you eat. Hope this helps.

Though those hand santisers are mostly anti-bacterial, so read that section on antibiotics and apply again to them.

I try not to use hand sanitizer. They kill all the bacteria on your hands including the good bacteria.

So when you use hand sanitizer you have clean hands for as long as you don't touch anything or there is nothing in the air to get on them. As soon as germs get on your hand they will multiply quickly as you have no good bacteria to stop them.

Soap and water. I will only use hand sanitizer if I absolutely can't find soap and water.

We sailed on the MS Spitzbergen (Hurtigruten) last year and I was impressed that they have a sink for washing your hands near the buffet area - after you've used the hand sanitizer. We would get spritzed with the hand sanitizer, go through the buffet, then go back to the sink for a real wash up. Lots of people got sick on that trip with some sort of cough/cold but we escaped. Only a couple of us used the sink at every meal. Wish more ships had that set up.

When we were on a ship that had had a noro outbreak on the previous cruise I suggested to my husband that (in addition to washing, washing, washing, etc.) that we eat everything with utensils for exactly the reasons listed above....all the things you could have come into contact with after washing your hands. Knock on wood; we didn't get sick.

Agree with this idea of using untensils and not hands for eating. In fact, one time at lunch in the buffet on a Princess ship,I was enjoying a cookie using a knife and fork. A man at a nearby table made a snarky comment about the “new”way to eat cookies. Really .?!! At least I didn’t get sick on that cruise.

As a matter of fact, my DH and I have had 15 cruises and have never gotten a stomach or respiratory illness while cruising.

We wash our hands very frequently, try to make healthy food choices,stay hydrated and get enough rest and relaxation. We also book cabins with a balcony so that we can access fresh air while relaxing on our private outdoor space.

We sailed on the MS Spitzbergen (Hurtigruten) last year and I was impressed that they have a sink for washing your hands near the buffet area - after you've used the hand sanitizer. We would get spritzed with the hand sanitizer, go through the buffet, then go back to the sink for a real wash up. Lots of people got sick on that trip with some sort of cough/cold but we escaped. Only a couple of us used the sink at every meal. Wish more ships had that set up.

The Regal and Royal Princess have these sinks. I am not certain about the older ships in the fleet (Grand class etc).

The NCL Breakaway also had these sinks,so I assume other ships in the same class (Getaway etc) would also have the same accommodation.

Though those hand santisers are mostly anti-bacterial, so read that section on antibiotics and apply again to them.

They are antmicrobial. They kill viruses and bacteria. Ineffective against spores like Clostridium Difficile. Hand sanitizer is very effective against colds and flu.

If things are really bad with a ship outbreak, you can do strict hand washing/sanitizing and wear a simple mask. N95 is for airborne viruses like TB.

I have the absolute cure....don't sail in flu season, you are asking for trouble.

It’s always flu season somewhere, in one hemisphere or the other, and people from countries having a flu outbreak will almost certainly be on every ship. How will I ever get to go anywhere? :(

Agree with this idea of using untensils and not hands for eating. In fact, one time at lunch in the buffet on a Princess ship,I was enjoying a cookie using a knife and fork. A man at a nearby table made a snarky comment about the “new”way to eat cookies. Really .?!! At least I didn’t get sick on that cruise.

As a matter of fact, my DH and I have had 15 cruises and have never gotten a stomach or respiratory illness while cruising.

We wash our hands very frequently, try to make healthy food choices,stay hydrated and get enough rest and relaxation. We also book cabins with a balcony so that we can access fresh air while relaxing on our private outdoor space.

Spot on. She Who Must Be Obeyed and I do the same things. We've caught some snarky comments when we use sanitizer at the table after we are all done touching anything that's been handled by other people - serving ladles, chairs, menus, etc. If it even rates a response, we say 35 cruises and haven't gotten sick onboard yet.

Wash your hands, wash yours hands, wash your hands.

Sinks also set up at buffet area on new RC ships

Unfortunately, the restaurant staff who set your table and lay out your utensils are probably at risk of even greater exposure to the noro or flu or whatever the germ of the day is. Consequently, the fork you are using, the plate your cookie is on or the glass you are drinking from is probably as suspect as your hands.:(

You are lucky. I can barely get my doctor to prescribe me medications when I'm actually sick, never mind "just in case" medication.

You're right, lucky to have an old time family doctor. Have also been able to get CVS minute clinic to prescribe these if I exhibit "symptoms". Not dd the pediatrician though. Just what did I pay those 8 years of college and med school tuition for?

You are lucky. I can barely get my doctor to prescribe me medications when I'm actually sick, never mind "just in case" medication.

Is he really so lucky? Not so sure. Self diagnosing and then taking prescription medications may not be the best way to go. Of course I do not know this person nor his health situation, so I am not speaking of him in particular. But as a general rule, I would not advise that approach. (I'm a little sensitive to the subject as two years ago I took a Zpack for an UR infection and ended up with significant other health issues as a side effect - and I had taken it before. Antibiotics are not to be taken lightly.).

There is really little you can do other than the usual advice about hand washing and so on. I also was on the Eclipse and there were a number of people coughing and sneezing. My pet peeve was people showing up to dinner in Blu, where seats are right on top of each other, talking about how they were at the infirmary the night before, coughing up a storm, blowing their noses, etc.., etc. PEOPLE, if you are that sick please stay in your room and order room service for a night or two out of consideration for your fellow travelers! At the very, very least, ask for a table apart from the crowd. We had one dinner with a woman hacking and blowing her nose on one side of us and on the other side a man talking about the type of antibiotics he was taking and his visit to the infirmary. UGH! Way to ruin a meal! I wanted to get up and leave. It is amazing that we managed to come home feeling well.

Is he really so lucky? Not so sure. Self diagnosing and then taking prescription medications may not be the best way to go. Of course I do not know this person nor his health situation, so I am not speaking of him in particular. But as a general rule, I would not advise that approach. (I'm a little sensitive to the subject as two years ago I took a Zpack for an UR infection and ended up with significant other health issues as a side effect - and I had taken it before. Antibiotics are not to be taken lightly.).

There is really little you can do other than the usual advice about hand washing and so on. I also was on the Eclipse and there were a number of people coughing and sneezing. My pet peeve was people showing up to dinner in Blu, where seats are right on top of each other, talking about how they were at the infirmary the night before, coughing up a storm, blowing their noses, etc.., etc. PEOPLE, if you are that sick please stay in your room and order room service for a night or two out of consideration for your fellow travelers! At the very, very least, ask for a table apart from the crowd. We had one dinner with a woman hacking and blowing her nose on one side of us and on the other side a man talking about the type of antibiotics he was taking and his visit to the infirmary. UGH! Way to ruin a meal! I wanted to get up and leave. It is amazing that we managed to come home feeling well.

Went to the ENT today. He did a throat culture and said what I have is viral- thank you fellow passengers who like you were coughing and sneezing in my face! However, I have asthma and while you are correct you shouldn't take antibiotics lightly- I have asthma and typically develop a bronchial condition- so I also bring the medication with me- Fortunately a few physician's in my family so they will give me antibiotics as will my primary care physician.

You stand a greater chance of being exposed to any type of illness being confined in the closed quarters of an airplane. We are headed to Florida next week unfortunately not of a cruise but to visit the in laws. I'm a bit nervous being confined on the plane since the flu has really hit NY. To add my wife works in a hospital were the Doctors have been hit with the flu. We both had flu shot but so have the Doctors and other hospital workers who are now sick.

You stand a greater chance of being exposed to any type of illness being confined in the closed quarters of an airplane. We are headed to Florida next week unfortunately not of a cruise but to visit the in laws. I'm a bit nervous being confined on the plane since the flu has really hit NY. To add my wife works in a hospital were the Doctors have been hit with the flu. We both had flu shot but so have the Doctors and other hospital workers who are now sick.

On planes, She Who Must Be Obeyed packs some individual packs of wipes and as soon as we are seated she goes to town wiping down the seatbelt buckles, arm rests, the overhead light and air controls, and the tray. Then we sanitize hands. We re-sanitize just before we eat since we've probably handled the magazine and/or safety instructions. Same procedures on trains.

We also keep our air vents blowing on us to help blow away any sneeze droplets in the air.

Knock on wood, but after more than 35 cruises, countless flights, train travel, neither of us has been sick while traveling - or at home for that matter. We hardly ever catch a cold. If we shake hands with somebody, that hand does not touch food or go near our face until some hand washing. Think "Monk" the TV show.

Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands.

Think about the guy who leaves the restroom stall after a nature call, doesn't wash his hands, and is touching everything just before you got there.:eek:

For what it is worth (knowing science I'm guessing someone else may come up with something else) - -

Don't get sick on a plane -

I was at a conference for work and one presentation was by a researcher from the CDC/NIOSH. They said something so simple, yet useful. They sampled the air & passenger breathing zones in several airplanes taking note especially where someone had a virus and cough. This is applicable to H1N1, influenza, bird flu…..any air transmitted virus. First, if someone around you is coughing &you are at least 2 rows away – their sampling showed it would not reach you. If you are still uneasy, they say to twist your private air vent to full open & aim it down the front of your face. It creates an air curtain and keeps the airborne virus from reaching your breathing zone. Yes, the air is recirculated on planes but they said all planes now all have a super HEPA filter (that can remove super tiny particles) and their sampling showed it effectively removes viral droplets.

Regardless, creating the air curtain is a great idea.

None of that is effective against droplet spread viruses like the flu. Those measures are done to reduce transmission of contact type spread, like norovirus.

There's not much the staff can do , aside from monitoring staff and passengers for obvious signs of illness. They certainly can't require everyone to go around wearing N95 respirators.

Just follow the CDC recommendations: ://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/preventing.htm

Cold and flu virus particles can live on inanimate objects and still potentially cause infection in humans depending on the type of inanimate object and the type of virus. That’s how a lot of colds and flu virus particles are spread (touching a door handle or hand rail that someone who was infected touched or even a dirty salt and pepper shaker or menu that an infected person touched) so inanimate objects are still applicable to droplet precautions if virus particles recently are dispersed on them.

The best thing to do is get the flu vaccine before you go. They are not 100% effective but will normally reduce symptoms if they don’t prevent them completely.

There is a big difference between flu and a cough/cold. Most of the time if you feel up to getting out of bed and going to the Med centre you haven’t got flu!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree. Great clarification. There are so many misconceptions about influenza and rhinovirus.

Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands.

If you sanitize/wash your hands on the way into the buffet, do you sanitize them after you've sat down and pulled the chair up to the table? Think how many people touched the serving ladles before you did. How often does the lower edge of the chair seat that you grab to pull the chair in get cleaned and how many people have touched it? How about that guy who exited the bathroom stall after a nature call and left without washing his hands and went right into the buffet or MDR. Think about that as you grab your roll to butter it.

If you sanitize/wash your hands on the way into the MDR, do you sanitize them after you've sat down, pulled the chair up to the table, handled the menu, or touched the salt and pepper shakers? How often do the servers wash their hands?

Overkill? Maybe. Having grown up in the pre-vaccine polio era, we were taught to wash our hands frequently. It's served us well.

Agree

Influenza is airborne...that's why it's so contagious. Removing salt/pepper shakers won't make a difference. Someone with the virus coughs or sneezes, and if you're in the area, you will pick up the virus. Whether or not your immune system will suppress it is up to your body!

That’s not correct terminology or information.

For what it is worth (knowing science I'm guessing someone else may come up with something else) - -

Don't get sick on a plane -

I was at a conference for work and one presentation was by a researcher from the CDC/NIOSH. They said something so simple, yet useful. They sampled the air & passenger breathing zones in several airplanes taking note especially where someone had a virus and cough. This is applicable to H1N1, influenza, bird flu…..any air transmitted virus. First, if someone around you is coughing &you are at least 2 rows away – their sampling showed it would not reach you. If you are still uneasy, they say to twist your private air vent to full open & aim it down the front of your face. It creates an air curtain and keeps the airborne virus from reaching your breathing zone. Yes, the air is recirculated on planes but they said all planes now all have a super HEPA filter (that can remove super tiny particles) and their sampling showed it effectively removes viral droplets.

Regardless, creating the air curtain is a great idea.

I have heard about doing this too - good idea. And after you are done adjusting, clean your hands. I have also read that those air vents are some of the dirtiest spots on a plane as they are never cleaned.