Who do you tip?

trucker den

We tip the butler about $10 per day per person. Cabin steward- if excellent an additional $40.00 for the week. Drinks- if we stay at martini bar often, $20 at the end of the cruise- they share. No additional tips any longer for waiters regardless of the venue. We also tip Michaels club hostess or host $50 per week. No room service if we have a butler- but I would keep a few singles around if you want to give additional tips. Sometimes additional for the Michael's club bar tender- who actually on the summit was excellent!

Yes the summit has Tuscan grill, Qsine and Sushi on Five- Never ate in sushi on five-not our "cup of tea".

Just came back from the Summit yesterday. We prepaid our tips and didn't adjust. We did stop by customer service and picked up some envelops for tips; 50 dollars to our head waiter and 50 to the assistant waiter. We also tipped 20 to the gal cleaning our room. We stayed in an inside room this year due to our tight budget but feel crew members deserve extra.

Yes they do, we usually prepay these for cruises and land (bus) tours. We usually have the option to prepay. I also try avoiding leaving negative comments on specific staff even if this might be justified as I can’t be responsible from affecting their livelihood.

Somy question is really about extra tipping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I understood. Though I made a long post earlier in this thread, I want to say again that extra tipping is not required. I’m from the US, and tip well for excellent service. I’ve been on four cruises. Though I was prepared to give extra tips on each of those, I only felt moved to do so on two of the four. As CEO of Vacation said earlier in the thread, there’s certainly no need to reward average service, or persons who’ve not improved our experience in any way, with additional tips.

It’s certainly harder for us the other side of the pond who are not expected to tip. When we go to restaurants in England we always tip but how much depends on the service quality as tips are certainly extra as in England people are paid right to there position.

In bars I don’t tip at home as it’s just something you don’t see, more of maybe buy the bar person a drink.

This makes judging tips while abroad difficult to judge and at times justify.

I’ve been to restaurants in the US where the service has been terrible and they still expect approx a 20% tip.

I do understand the gratuities are for the staff you don’t see in the background but some people on here pay gratuity and then tip on top of that.

We have saved for years to make our first cruise a reality and the way some people tip on some of these posts we simply could not afford.

Different cultures for tipping makes it a split camp for people who are used for tipping just about everyone to others who don’t tip at all.

I’ve been in Mexico and please don’t take offence but some I said some people from Canada and the US tip but then think that gives them a right to shout or demand a service/drink instantly not one thankyou given. Sometimes it’s just nice to be actually nice and treat these people as equals which they certainly are.

You know, it actually works the other way as well. When I went to the UK for the first time, I asked British friends how to tip. I was warned that the publican would be offended if we tried to tip him, though we could offer to buy him a round if we liked. I was told that it’s typical to just leave a bit of change or round up to the nearest pound, so that’s what we did.

If I receive bad service at a US restaurant, I certainly don’t tip 20%. They can expect all they want, but 20% is for excellent service, not indifferent, surly or inept service. Just like everyone here, I’m sure, we work hard for our money. Dining out and cruises are special occasions for us. We don’t receive raises or bonuses for average work. Why should staff we encounter on nights out or holidays be given excellent tips for bad service?

Please don’t think the behavior you saw in Mexico is the norm. Most of us (I hope) do indeed treat staff like the equal human beings they most certainly are. BTW I’ve seen nationals from many countries engaging in the sort of behavior you’ve described, though I’m not sure how well they were tipping.

You know, it actually works the other way as well. When I went to the UK for the first time, I asked British friends how to tip. I was warned that the publican would be offended if we tried to tip him, though we could offer to buy him a round if we liked. I was told that it’s typical to just leave a bit of change or round up to the nearest pound, so that’s what we did.

If I receive bad service at a US restaurant, I certainly don’t tip 20%. They can expect all they want, but 20% is for excellent service, not indifferent, surly or inept service. Just like everyone here, I’m sure, we work hard for our money. Dining out and cruises are special occasions for us. We don’t receive raises or bonuses for average work. Why should staff we encounter on nights out or holidays be given excellent tips for bad service?

Please don’t think the behavior you saw in Mexico is the norm. Most of us (I hope) do indeed treat staff like the equal human beings they most certainly are. BTW I’ve seen nationals from many countries engaging in the sort of behavior you’ve described, though I’m not sure how well they were tipping.

I think that when you are in different countries you should respect the expectations of that countries people. This would apply to not only tipping but also dress codes. people on cruise ships work 12 hours a day in many instances and aren’t reimbursed for their efforts by the lines. If you get good service , from the person, reward accordingly. Just my opinion.

Whether we tip extra or not, we always say please and thank you. By and large most of the staff we've encountered on Celebrity ships go out of their way to please passengers. Although not required to do so, we generally reward the hard working crew with additional tips to show our appreciation of their efforts. We also take the time to converse with them and get to know about where they're from and life back in their home countries. It's amazing what you learn and how much staff appreciate passengers who take interest in them as human beings, rather than viewing them as means to an end.

I think that when you are in different countries you should respect the expectations of that countries people. This would apply to not only tipping but also dress codes. people on cruise ships work 12 hours a day in many instances and aren’t reimbursed for their efforts by the lines. If you get good service , from the person, reward accordingly. Just my opinion.

Yes, I realize that. In fact, it may be more than 18 hours per day. Regarding extra tipping for excellent service, perhaps you missed my earlier posts in which I stated that I do exactly that. Do you think the auto gratuities are insignificant? Why should I tip beyond the auto gratuities for “good” service? Good service is what they’re hired to provide. Good service is the baseline. Average. Meets requirements. Excellent or exemplary services is different, and definitely worth rewarding with additional tips.

Yes, I realize that. In fact, it may be more than 18 hours per day. Regarding extra tipping for excellent service, perhaps you missed my earlier posts in which I stated that I do exactly that. Do you think the auto gratuities are insignificant? Why should I tip beyond the auto gratuities for “good” service? Good service is what they’re hired to provide. Good service is the baseline. Average. Meets requirements. Excellent or exemplary services is different, and definitely worth rewarding with additional tips.

Actually auto gratuities are in some case low and considered part of the salary

I agree 100%. It should be based strictly on service, not that they are overworked,really friendly, that's charity. We've always did the auto gratuities and never messed with them, no matter what. In the last few years, the only place we received service above and beyond the norm is the daily loyalty free drinks, in Sky Lounge. Even on the six transatlantics we've done, when the place was packed our glasses were never empty. Win-win, we got our drinks and they got some well deserved money.