Customer Disservice?

muggo11

Why is it their problem to fix? Yes, it must happen at times. Maybe in those cases passengers accept responsibility for their actions and mistakes and don't turn to a newspaper for publicity.

I work for a newspaper. People call all the time wanting stories because they're mad at a restaurant, car dealer, lawyer, cable company, dentist, etc. etc.

People love to play victim, and hope the paper will solve their problems. Doesn't usually happen.

The Globe should not have reported this to imply that they should have been allowed to board with just their driver's licenses, which is 100% not true. Now many people will think that is the case.

I read this article in today's Boston Globe and was shocked that the Globe did not do better research regarding passport requirements. That said, I do feel a huge disservice was done to this couple, by making them sit on a bench while their bags were retrieved. That never happened. The man took full responsibility for not having his passport ready, but yet I do feel NCCL could have taken them aside and treated them respectfully.

This is bad press for NCL no matter how you look at it.

Every time we have handed bags to a porter we’ve always been asked, before they went, have you got your cruise docs, medication and passports on you? We’ve never sailed out of the port where this happened so maybe they don’t. Yes. Feel sorry for them to have not cruised and spent all that money but paperwork is the passengers responsibility and with over 3000 cases being loaded finding it would have been a nightmare.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

"Make it right", "do the right thing", the battle cry of anyone who has no legit point. NCL did do the right thing. They treated these passengers equally to any others. No one deserves special treatment. these folks simply did not have the proper documentation in hand in order to board the ship. Fill out one simple form for insurance and either get a refund or a credit for a future cruise. Thia entire thing is a huge non-story filled with non-facts and half truths to play on pity.

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/booksafe

That's short-sighted.

NCL did not do the right thing here, from either a Customer Service or even a Business POV.

Here's why: there are a lot more people who will read that article than read the defence by the shill acounts on here.

That'll cost NCLH future business.

NCLH had the opportunity to avoid this article... and did not: as a shareholder, I'm unimpressed.

It's like the response to United's regional carrier dragging that doctor off the plane.

The negative publicity cost the CEO of United the Chairmanship of the company.

I doubt he still thinks he made the right call on the policies in place and in how he handled the fallout.

Everyone seems to be missing the biggest point. Their luggage and those pesky passports got to enjoy a 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise! Lucky ducks.

On a more serious note, NCL is not the bad guy here. Everyone in society today seems to want special treatment and exceptions. Imagine if only 5 couples did the same thing and left their passports in their checked luggage. You would have so many people scrambling around for hours trying to 'fix' things. Guess what, embarkation day if very busy and those people have jobs to do.

Every time we have handed bags to a porter we’ve always been asked, before they went, have you got your cruise docs, medication and passports on you? We’ve never sailed out of the port where this happened so maybe they don’t. Yes. Feel sorry for them to have not cruised and spent all that money but paperwork is the passengers responsibility and with over 3000 cases being loaded finding it would have been a nightmare.

I only have ever get asked for my cabin number because I never bother to print my own luggage tags, but then I usually have to pull out my documents to make sure I give the right cabin number. I agree it would be a nightmare to try to find 1 individual case out of 3000. I would think only a limited amount of people have access to that area to begin with and are probably all busy as heck.

Lucky for you! This couple was not as fortunate.

We have NEVER had anyone ask that question!

That's short-sighted.

NCL did not do the right thing here, from either a Customer Service or even a Business POV.

Here's why: there are a lot more people who will read that article than read the defence by the shill acounts on here.

NCLH had the opportunity to avoid this article... and did not: as a shareholder, I'm unimpressed.

It's like the response to United's regional carrier dragging that doctor off the plane.

I doubt he still thinks he made the right call on the policies in place and in how he handled the fallout.

And this is what is prompting irresponsible people to wage a war via social media to get compensated or at least revenge.

I wouldn't begin to compare the United case with this story of people not following the guidelines and having their passports in hand to check in.

Companies now have to deal with blackmail threats from disgruntled customers?

I hate to see any newspaper become complicit in that.

That's short-sighted.

The couple ADMITTED they shouldn’t have put their passports in their suitcases. They were not dragged off the ship, so someone else could have their cabin. They had not met the published, known, well-documented, government-enforced criteria for boarding a ship. That is a huge difference with this and United.

This won’t cost Norwegian future business for long. People who want to cruise will cruise.

Carnival had a number of incidents a few years ago that affected thousands of people, not just one elderly couple, and their numbers didn’t suffer in the long run.

This was a “reporter” with nothing else to write about who does very poor research, and decided to claim the company was at fault to gain sympathy for a couple who made a bad mistake.

That's short-sighted.

People need to do the right thing and take responsibility for their actions, not go to the media to try and make yourself look like you were wronged. Why should NCL risk allowing a passenger on board without proper documentation. What if they found the suitcase and oops the passport isn't in there either.

Age is no excuse for special treatment. Because someone is in their 80s, it doesn't mean their mental capacity is diminished.

The man was capable of writing a letter asking for a refund. Therefore, he was capable of knowing that he needed his passport on him, not in his luggage.

This wasn't his first cruise.

Personal responsibility....not NCL's

“We will be providing” the couple “with a full refund for their cruise,” Norwegian continued. “In addition, as a gesture of our sincerest apologies, we would like to invite them to experience their dream vacation with a complimentary cruise” on the sailing of their choice.

I know what I'm doing for my next NCL cruise.....

1. Book a cruise
  2. Leave my documents in my suitecase
  3. Sit in the terminal while the ship leaves
  4. Post on social media
  5. When NCL caves in, get a refund for my cruise and get a free Haven DOS or Garden Villa on a transatlantic.

...or get a free transatlantic on Regent Seven Seas Explorer in the Regent Suite.

This from today’s Boston Globe, an awful situation that needs immediate attention. If this isn’t made right my family and I will never book with NCL again.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2018/01/27/left-dock-and-looking-for-refund-and-some-compassion-from-cruise-line/mszHE2cq2Po5k9ZY9EnPvL/story.html?et_rid=1841313658&s_campaign=todaysheadlines:newsletter

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am sorry that most people who are posting did not read the article or did not comprehend what they read.

The passport was in an outer pocket of the suitcase for easy access. They were NOT inside the suitcase. What transpired at the port should not have happened. Furthermore, the mistakes made by NCL continued to worsen. Why did customer service give them incorrect information, causing them continued stress and lack of support.

Go back and read!!! Reading comprehension 101.

I am sorry that most people who are posting did not read the article or did not comprehend what they read.

The passport was in an outer pocket of the suitcase for easy access. They were NOT inside the suitcase. What transpired at the port should not have happened. Furthermore, the mistakes made by NCL continued to worsen. Why did customer service give them incorrect information, causing them continued stress and lack of support.

Go back and read!!! Reading comprehension 101.

What should have happened then?

This from today’s Boston Globe, an awful situation that needs immediate attention. If this isn’t made right my family and I will never book with NCL again.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2018/01/27/left-dock-and-looking-for-refund-and-some-compassion-from-cruise-line/mszHE2cq2Po5k9ZY9EnPvL/story.html?et_rid=1841313658&s_campaign=todaysheadlines:newsletter

Already reported in another thread. There is absolutely nothing awful about this. The passengers showed up and did not posses the correct documentation to cruise. And, in accordance with United State Immigrations and Customs regulations, they were not allowed to board. Plain and simple. The NCL had no latitude to "look the other way" and allow the couple on board. Just as a TSA or Immigration airport can't "look the other way" if someone shows up at an airport without required documentation. The fake news in the article had many inaccurate statements, but the bottom line is that the couple could not produce any proof of citizenship. And the granddaughter did nothing to ensure that the couple had everything they needed in their hands.

In regards to the update - I am so happy for them. Irregardless of company policy, sometimes a company takes a look at a situation and offers a good will gesture. In this case very generous along with an apology for the way things were handled. Well done I think. I hope they enjoy and keep their passports and meds on them this time :-)

Why does it matter if the documents were in or on the suitcase, they did not have them in hand and the suitcase was not with them. I agree everyone who now thinks they only need a license to cruise due to irresponsible reporting will be wanting a free cruise after they are told they cannot board. Don't complain next time your cruise is delayed because 5 parties don't have their documentation. But then everyone on the cruise will all want 25% off their next cruise for being delayed. Where does it all stop? If anyone watches Black Mirror on Netflix this whole thing has been like the prime minister and the pig. I emailed the reporter too so that hopefully, at a minimum, they will set the public straight on what documents are truly needed for cruising.