Customer Disservice?

muggo11

Biggest ( only real) mistake made by NCL was to ignore the Boston Globe reporter and try to go back and tell the Customer why they were wrong. They were in the right and this needed to adhere to PR 101 Once the press is involved, don't let a " didn't respond to our requests" be what's printed. That's what guilty people do. Respond and explain. If NCL had called the reporter after contact and explained things they'd be much less likely to have had to overcorrect.

There's an obvious difference in this case vs just leaving your docs at home or in your luggage.

Other than the age of the guests, there is no difference. If a couple of 25 year-olds had done the same thing, the reaction from the press, comments, and NCL's response would have been very different.

After all, NCL did issue an apology, which is an admission of some responsibility. One can only assume NCL looked into this case and determined that they were at least partly responsible for the unfortunate outcome that day.
Simply a calculated response from NCL to appease the rabid keyboard warriors in the comment section....most of whom would have never sailed with NCL, anyway.

In this particular case, I think NCL did the right thing and I don't think it sets any sort of precedence that NCL should be worried about. Or any sort of expectation for past or future customers who simply screw up.
What makes this particular case one that warrants a refund PLUS a free cruise? If NCL screwed up, a refund (more likely OBC and a discount) would be the maximum that NCL would give to you, me, or anyone else on this forum.

Companies often and wisely consider complaints on a case-by-case basis, taking extenuating circumstances into account. With the result often being a goodwill offering above and beyond what's written into their normal policy.
What are the extenuating circumstances? Other than age, I can do exactly what this couple did.

If they find my suitcase and get it to me, I go on my cruise as scheduled.

If they don't find my suitcase and don't get it to me, the ship sails and I get a refund plus a free cruise.

How many of those people were actually NCL staff? Most of the workers at a port are employed by the port and contracted to work ship arrivals and departures.

Daughter who dumped her elderly parents and ran? Not NCL.

Passengers who forgot their passports? Not NCL.

Porter who collected suitcases? Not NCL.

Security who wanted to see passports? Not NCL.

When the problem arose, who did check-in agents have to contact? NCL.

People on the ship supposedly looking for the couple's luggage? NCL.

When the situation became critical 3 hours later, people whose best Plan B was to send a "So You've Missed Your Cruise…" form letter to the terminal and set sail? NCL.

I'm not saying the couple were not at fault (they themselves admit this), but I think even with a full refund, they were sufficiently punished for their silly mistake. The goodwill free cruise from NCL is too much, in my opinion, but whatever. If you really think this means that they will now slide down the slippery slope and be forced to pay out for all future snafus, just keep your eyes on this forum. People will continue to make all sorts of complaints and receive zero compensation from NCL, don't worry about that. There have always been occasional stories about people getting refunds and free cruises, but it's still a very rare occurrence. I'm sure it's much rarer, for example, than the people who lose all their money having to cancel at the last minute with no insurance, which probably happens on every sailing. So NCL can afford to give away a free cruise here and there, even if it's not totally justified in the eyes of this forum. Who knows, it could happen to you.

My biggest criticism with NCL generally is the way they appear to deal with many of these types of issue.

I say "appear to deal", because I don't have any particular experience of it myself, and often we are just getting one side of the story. However, there does seem to be quite a trend.

For example, if we take this story at face value, whilst NCL are not to blame for the passport not being available, and it seems that they were absolutely correct to deny boarding, but were the passengers just left there with no assistance? Did someone really just hand them the letter and leave them to it? If so then they dropped the ball in my opinion.

Another example is the Breakaway recently. I have no opinion either way as to whether they could have taken different action to avoid the weather, but there were worryingly familiar stories of lack of communication onboard.

We had a thread on this forum recently where someone was querying their cruise next purchase. They didn't think that they had been given a discount. I have no idea whether or not they actually had, but there were two possibilities as far as I could see. Either they hadn't received the OBC or they had missed it on their account. The real problem was that they had to come here to seek advice, as NCL hadn't responded to their questions. A quick response could have closed down the problem and made that person feel better about NCL. Issues like that are very common.

When it comes to things like this, for PR reasons you need to respond and communicate or you lose control of the situation. Most of these stories are just one persons side, but the evidence that I see suggests that NCL are particularly bad at this. Maybe it's because there aren't enough staff to deal with everything, maybe it's poor training (the incorrect info regularly given out is due to that), but whatever the reason NCL could do with improving it.

Rather than running around putting out these fires, they should be acting quicker and not letting them start in the first place.

NCL did three major things wrong as far as I can see. First was a lack of compassion for a couple who have made a mistake under chaotic circumstances. Even if you can’t solve the problem, how you deal with someone can significantly improve a very bad experience. Second, they apparently let them believe the problem would be resolved and had them sitting there for hours without communicating with them. Third, at least according to the story, a drivers license would have been acceptable according to ncl’s own policies, but no one raised that possibility with them. These were major customer service failures on the part of the ncl staff.

Exactly! Letting the couple sit there apparently letting them believe the problem would be resolved is inexcusable.

The chaos about contacting customer service and the rudeness that ensued is a major problem for NCL.

How many planes have 2,500 to 5,500 passengers?

That's neither here nor there.

The point, rather, is that they won't let a plane fly with someone's bag on it if that person himself is suddenly not on the plane, even though the bag has been scanned, and potentially searched.

Why can a ship sail under the same circumstances?

Maybe I should have been more specific. An enhanced drivers license is sufficient. Now, they probably didn't have those as most states don't. But it seems an obvious thing to ask about that and some of the other alternative forms which are acceptable.

I am not sure an enhanced license would work. I think most states do have them now, but even if they were available do you think most people, their age would have actually had one?

This raises an analogous point for planes: if you fail to board at the gate, your suitcase is taken off.

Why isn't it the same on ships?

because by the time they realized the problem God only knows where the luggage is. They tried to locate it, not to mention the difference between the number of bags going on a plane and the number on a ship. It is a good question though.

They had proper documentation the drivers license that is all you need to travel in Mexico and the Caribbean, many travelers don't use a passport but a birth certificate and the only time you will need a passport or birth certificate is for re-entry to the US which they had waiting on the ship inside their luggage, the old geezers didn't scream loud enough at the terminal to get the right person attention and that is my pinion

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

talk to your travel agent or call and check. You will find out: no, in order to board the ship as a passenger you have to have either a passport or a license and a certified birth certificate. End of story. That is because you are leaving the country and then will be re-entering it.

A note on the enhanced DL, they are great, IF the port is equipped for them. Recently returned to the US from the Carib and could not use the passport card, which uses the same chip tech as the EDL. Had to dig out our passport books, thankfully we travel with both in carry on.

And to those talking about if this had been some 25yo - well, now it can be.

If a 25yo goes out partying the night before the cruise and leaves their passport and cruise docs in their checked baggage and NCL refuses to give them a full refund and free cruise the 25yo can sue for age discrimination.

So the only thing anyone from the port or NCL is guilty of is poor communication at the port. And that is mostly port staff. And even at that level, we only have one side of the story.

I read this article in today's Boston Globe and was shocked that the Globe did not do better research regarding passport requirements. That said, I do feel a huge disservice was done to this couple, by making them sit on a bench while their bags were retrieved. That never happened. The man took full responsibility for not having his passport ready, but yet I do feel NCCL could have taken them aside and treated them respectfully.

This is bad press for NCL no matter how you look at it.

It is bad press, but only because the media screwed up which we all know is a daily happening anymore. My husband started his career as a reporter for a major newspaper before moving into PR. He said, if it were today he would be ashamed to admit he was in the busness. Remember you ares seeing the story on the side of the couple, and assuming they were treated poorly. We do not know that. We do know the reported did a crappy job or reporting.

Every time we have handed bags to a porter we’ve always been asked, before they went, have you got your cruise docs, medication and passports on you? We’ve never sailed out of the port where this happened so maybe they don’t. Yes. Feel sorry for them to have not cruised and spent all that money but paperwork is the passengers responsibility and with over 3000 cases being loaded finding it would have been a nightmare.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have cruised over 40 times and never been asked that I don't think.

Wow someone actually gets it! It is VERY sad that this couple missed their cruise, but it is not anything that NCL (or any other cruise line) could let slide. The typical liberal, no personal responsibility, inaccurate reporting of the Globe was way off base here and shameful to any decent newspaper or reporter.

I understand that they had" Make America Great Again " stickers on their luggage .

search?q=make+america+great+again+cap&num=30&client=tablet-android-acer&prmd=isnv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjRpcHRnv3YAhVK3IMKHa2pCHcQ_AUIESgB&biw=800&bih=1280#imgrc=Vlzp6GDZFrnI1M:

And just to note that Sunday, NCL gave the couple a full refund, and a free cruise.

I just came here to say this. Here is a link to the follow-up article. https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2018/01/28/norwegian-cruise-line-changes-course-offers-couple-apology-refund-and-dream-trip/JfHQCLMLSi9ZqjNug1EovI/story.html?p1=Article_Recommended_ReadMore_Pos1

I could have seen NCL giving them a nominal credit toward a future cruise, mainly due to the way shoreside handled things. The couple was at fault for their lack of proper documentation, but it wasn't handled as well as it could have been. That said, to give them a full refund PLUS a free cruise is outrageous!

Yup.

All this could have been avoided by NCLH.

I am certainly happy NCL did come through but if any of you really think this incident would have seriously hurt NCL's business you know very little about how big business works. How many people, throughout the country who cruise really read The Boston Globe or any other similar paper. It would take more than one article to affect their business in the long run. Again, I am happy NCL is giving the couple a free cruise and the money back. that is more than was necessary. Now let's hope the couple's family makes sure if they are traveling alone they are prepared for the trip.

At this point... I hope I never get to be 85-87 years old and get a bit messed up when I'm excited about something I've looked forward to for a year.

Flame-away... no worries, maybe I'm too old to care. I hope it never happens to any of you.

Cheers

I am only about 5 years younger than the 85 you refer to, but am sharp enough to know, if a few years with failing health like this couple and obviously some slippage in memory we will not be traveling along across country by ourselves and we are seasoned travelers, traveling all over the world. In fact that is why I can make this statement. We would love to do one more cruise or tour to Europe, but we are sharp enough to know this would not be a good idea. Our kids probably would not even let us travel alone. So, sorry, until you get to a certain stage in life you do not have a clue what you are talking about. Let me also add, as of right now, we are as sharp as almost anyone our age, that is why we know our limitations.

We have cruised over 40 times and never been asked that I don't think.

We have certainly been asked that we have got our passports etc when handing over our luggage. I really couldn't say how often, but certainly a few times.

One I remember particularly was in Venice, when we arrived by water taxi. There is a bag drop there, and the person who took the bags asked a couple of times. I suspect that it's a bit more of a common issue there, as people may not be expecting to drop their bags off at that point, so could get caught unprepared.

I just came here to say this. Here is a link to the follow-up article. https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2018/01/28/norwegian-cruise-line-changes-course-offers-couple-apology-refund-and-dream-trip/JfHQCLMLSi9ZqjNug1EovI/story.html?p1=Article_Recommended_ReadMore_Pos1

I could have seen NCL giving them a nominal credit toward a future cruise, mainly due to the way shoreside handled things. The couple was at fault for their lack of proper documentation, but it wasn't handled as well as it could have been. That said, to give them a full refund PLUS a free cruise is outrageous!

I SO agree with you. I think we're the minority here ... but NCL's response to the Globe's publicity is way overkill.