Customer Disservice?

muggo11

Here's the thing. NCL pIssed off the Boston Globe by ignoring its requests for an explanation... a huge violation of good PR protocol. My guess is that as soon as higher ups got wind of this they looked for the easiest way out. Moreover, They knew that too many people it seemed unfair because those documents were it seems to many non-cruise people in NCL's " control" ( doesn't matter that it was hard to find) It's even possible that an investigation turned up a bad fact like NCL didn't even try to find their luggage. Who knows?

This is a drop in the bucket money wise for NCL. They likely put better PR rules in place. And the chances of this occurring again are slim to none. ( Just working with the group,that hire porters to make sure they are asking " "Anything you need in the luggage before I take it" would help.

Interesting the boat sailed with unaccounted for luggage. A plane would never do that. I do understand they are dealing with significant amount of pax, but if you fail to check in through security, that plane will not fly until your checked luggage is off of it for security reasons.

Totally incorrect. International flights are better, but domestic flights fly with mis-matched luggage all time.

According to Dept of Homeland security in NY State......The Real Id Enforcement has been extended from Jan 22, 2018 to Oct 10,2018 to become compliant.....so until then in NY a regular state issued drivers license along with other documentation will suffice. Those poor people....if only someone would have thought to ask.....

The problem is that it does NOT "suffice". You are buying into the fake news from the Globe. You can use a "old" drivers license to get on a domestic airline flight, but NOT an international flight. Same with a cruise ship. You could use your drivers license to get on the Pride of America, but not any other ship.

Nope.

We were left in Miami by U.S. Air while our luggage flew without us to Canada.

If your luggage went to Canada without you, that would be a reason to leave your passport in the outside pocket, so it could get through customs.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Here's the thing. NCL pIssed off the Boston Globe by ignoring its requests for an explanation... a huge violation of good PR protocol. My guess is that as soon as higher ups got wind of this they looked for the easiest way out. Moreover, They knew that too many people it seemed unfair because those documents were it seems to many non-cruise people in NCL's " control" ( doesn't matter that it was hard to find) It's even possible that an investigation turned up a bad fact like NCL didn't even try to find their luggage. Who knows?

This is a drop in the bucket money wise for NCL. They likely put better PR rules in place. And the chances of this occurring again are slim to none. ( Just working with the group,that hire porters to make sure they are asking " "Anything you need in the luggage before I take it" would help.

This.

Somebody in the PR department surely got his knuckles rapped (or worse) for ignoring the Globe's request for comment in this case.

Turning the shill accounts loose on Cruise Critic won't help.

Strictly by the numbers...

Sunday Paper (hard copy) Circulation 382,452 (2013; Wikipedia)

Say two people get access to each paper => 764,902 readers

Now suppose 20% of those saw the story => about 152,000 people

Those 152,000 people got a very bad impression of NCL, and their hard copies don't get updates about the resolution of the case.

Whatever happened at the pier happened at the pier and while it looks really bad to me, we'll never know for sure.

What happened at Corporate in response the the Globe's request for comment, as an NCLH shareholder, I'm unquestionably sour.

This.

Somebody in the PR department surely got his knuckles rapped (or worse) for ignoring the Globe's request for comment in this case.

Those 152,000 people got a very bad impression of NCL, and their hard copies don't get updates about the resolution of the case.

Whatever happened at the pier happened at the pier and while it looks really bad to me, we'll never know for sure.

What happened at Corporate in response the the Globe's request for comment, as an NCLH shareholder, I'm unquestionably sour.

and as a share holder I am not too worried about any fall out. These things do blow over. I talked to my TA about this yesterday; she was not even mildly upset. Yes, glad NCL came through but doesn't see the situation as something that will do any harm over the long run.

This.

So..... we all read the Boston Globe's article and found a very glaring piece of misinformation concerning the ability to cruise internationally with just a plain Massachusetts license......

However, everyone seems to trust wholeheartedly that the reporter did attempt to reach out to NCL for a statement..... maybe they did.... maybe they didn't.... but the integrity of the reporters facts are definitely suspect at best.

As a shareholder...... I understand NCL took steps to squash this ridiculousness..... just as McDonald's or Holiday Inn will do things to shut up a customer even though the fault is 100% the customers. It's the cost of doing business with those who want something for free and those not willing to accept personal responsibility......

Edited by esm54687

Considering my NCLH stock is just a bit off it's 52 week high price I think I'll try not to worry about this earth shattering hack job story that is apparently on the level of reporting the Hindenburg disaster.

I am glad though, that things are going to work out for those two cruisers. It really was a crappy thing to happen no matter how it really went down.

This.

You didn't take the numbers far enough.....

How many of the 152,000 have never taken a cruise and are planning to within the next year. People will forget this even happened after a year and anyone who ever took a cruise knows there is a lot of falsehoods in the story.

The bottom line very little impact on NCL's bottom line.

However, everyone seems to trust wholeheartedly that the reporter did attempt to reach out to NCL for a statement..... maybe they did.... maybe they didn't.... but the integrity of the reporters facts are definitely suspect at best.

It's a consumer advocacy column, so contacting companies is what the guy does. You are free to believe that he's lying, but anyone who has ever tried contacting NCL guest relations can probably relate to not getting a response within a week… or a month…

It was a dumb move on NCL's part, because when you hear from someone like this, the worst thing to do is ignore them, because the story is going to run no matter what. You can either try to get the company's side of the story included and put an end to the whole thing, or be certain that the story will be 100% against you and force you to do even more damage control later.

This.

You didn't take the numbers far enough.....

How many of the 152,000 have never taken a cruise and are planning to within the next year. People will forget this even happened after a year and anyone who ever took a cruise knows there is a lot of falsehoods in the story.

The bottom line very little impact on NCL's bottom line.

Also out of those numbers how many will read the follow up story and even know NCL refunded them.

So now that the Boston Globe has made a mockery of the policies of cruising. Now, people who want to scam the system, will print out the article, show up at the pier without proper documentation, be denied boarding....then given their money back and a free cruise of their choice.....NICE....

So now that the Boston Globe has made a mockery of the policies of cruising. Now, people who want to scam the system, will print out the article, show up at the pier without proper documentation, be denied boarding....then given their money back and a free cruise of their choice.....NICE....

Do you honestly believe this is going to happen? If you take a step back from your righteous indignation, does this seem at all plausible?

The Globes comment about "Would you want to sail with a company like that" was overboard (no pun intended). The port was simply following the instructions. Come to think of it, Yes! I do want to sail with a company that follows safety procedures. In fact, the Globe is NOT the type of newspaper I would want to read come to think of it!

It is so sad that a "journalist" can write a story filled false statements and inaccurate information, uninformed people can read that story and blackmail a legitimate company like happened here. Yeah it sucks big time that this couple missed their cruise. Unfortunately they missed it because of their own errors and NCL had no option other than to turn them away. NCL could have done a better job of keeping the couple informed as the search for their luggage was underway, but does that equate to a full refund AND a free Haven cruise? Not even close. The couple (with a great deal of assistance from The Globe) scammed NCL is all that went on here.

I agree with you 100%. well said.

Do you honestly believe this is going to happen? If you take a step back from your righteous indignation, does this seem at all plausible?

I worked retail for 40 years, and I have seen about every scam in the book, a customer sees that chance, and YES, they will take advantage of it, even to the media to complain about anything because they have been "wronged" in some way. Show the elderly or small children, see the sad faces of the people who didn't get what they wanted....Companies will give them anything, just to make them go away....EX. years ago, I worked for a large retailer, a man brought back a worn leather jacket for a refund. No receipt. It wasn't a brand this store sold, so he was told as such, he DID NOT like that answer, now we have to get a department manager, again was told this wasn't sold there, now we get an ASSISTANT store manager involved, again, now we get the OPS manager....this guy was screaming....FINALLY...the store gave him $250 to get rid of him and threw the jacket away....

I worked retail for 40 years, and I have seen about every scam in the book, a customer sees that chance, and YES, they will take advantage of it, even to the media to complain about anything because they have been "wronged" in some way. Show the elderly or small children, see the sad faces of the people who didn't get what they wanted....Companies will give them anything, just to make them go away....EX. years ago, I worked for a large retailer, a man brought back a worn leather jacket for a refund. No receipt. It wasn't a brand this store sold, so he was told as such, he DID NOT like that answer, now we have to get a department manager, again was told this wasn't sold there, now we get an ASSISTANT store manager involved, again, now we get the OPS manager....this guy was screaming....FINALLY...the store gave him $250 to get rid of him and threw the jacket away....

You didn't really answer my question, though.

You think people are now going to show up without ID/docs and be awarded a free cruise? You think that's going to be the new normal?

Ahhhhhhh...... No.......

You didn't really answer my question, though.

You think people are now going to show up without ID/docs and be awarded a free cruise? You think that's going to be the new normal?

I think where there's opportunity, someone will try to get away with it....YES.