Smaller drinks for Cheers???

kbh2

Has anyone sailed recently with Cheers and gotten smaller drinks when ordering? On our Facebook Group for my upcoming cruise a couple of people said they had heard that they were serving drinks in much smaller cups when ordering with Cheers, surely this is not true.....

Has anyone sailed recently with Cheers and gotten smaller drinks when ordering? On our Facebook Group for my upcoming cruise a couple of people said they had heard that they were serving drinks in much smaller cups when ordering with Cheers, surely this is not true.....

I hope not. I did hear that the bartenders actually give you better service and drinks when on Cheers, since we paid a lot of money for the program. Dunno!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Also, unless the bartender learns to know you, you order the drink first, then give your card. So they really don’t know if you have Cheers or not, until the end of the cruise. I’m planning to tip my bartenders additional in hopes of receiving good service and drinks :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This rumor may come from the Bottomless Bubbles package in which if you buy a coke you get the full can which is almost two drinks in those bar glasses, but if get it from the package only every once in a while will they hand you the full can.

Cheers package drinks look the same to me.

Here is what they said...

Here's a tidbit of news I just found out from another person that had just came off a Carnival ship.... they have purchased the cheers program so the price of the drinks didn't matter to them... " you must ask for a full-size drink compared to a regular size drink" ....... they said a regular sized drink is half the size of a full size drink and counts the same as one drink credit....... that is Carnival's way of being cheap and saving money....... just good advice.... I had no idea I traveled with other people that did not have cheers and they would order a drink, then I would order the exact same drink from the exact same bartender and get a smaller size that cost less, but still counted as one of my drinks. When I asked the bartender about it he acted like it was no big deal, I just needed to ask for the larger size. Which was true, they gave me the larger size if I asked for it, while the non cheers customer got the larger, more expensive size without asking for it. I experienced this at multiple bars across the ship EXCEPT for alchemy.

Edited by kbh2

You could also order an extra glass of mixer if you feel your drink is too small. Mix and juice doesn't county against the 15 alcohol drinks you're allowed.

BTW ... on Holland America their version of Cheers is 15 drinks period - soft drinks, juices, fancy coffees and/or shakes all count against the 15 drinks.

I really don't see 15 alcohol drinks for $50 dollars on Carnival is ripping anyone off. :confused:

While on the Imagination back in November, I did not receive smaller drinks when using Cheers.

However, you may already know that certain larger drinks (Like the huge margaritas and beer tubes) that are considered to be of sharing size and not a single portion are not included with the program.

Also, we were not able to upgrade the liquor within frozen and specialty "Named" drinks as the bartenders typically said they must "Stick to the recipe"

Here is what they said...

Here's a tidbit of news I just found out from another person that had just came off a Carnival ship.... they have purchased the cheers program so the price of the drinks didn't matter to them... " you must ask for a full-size drink compared to a regular size drink" ....... they said a regular sized drink is half the size of a full size drink and counts the same as one drink credit....... that is Carnival's way of being cheap and saving money....... just good advice.... I had no idea I traveled with other people that did not have cheers and they would order a drink, then I would order the exact same drink from the exact same bartender and get a smaller size that cost less, but still counted as one of my drinks. When I asked the bartender about it he acted like it was no big deal, I just needed to ask for the larger size. Which was true, they gave me the larger size if I asked for it, while the non cheers customer got the larger, more expensive size without asking for it. I experienced this at multiple bars across the ship EXCEPT for alchemy.

I have to call you on this, that you found out from a third party person, hogwash

I don't think the smaller drinks have anything to do with alcohol content, but more so the size of the cup. I will agree when I order a vodka ____ (fill in the blank) it is usually in a smaller 8 oz cup, but if requested they will make it in a larger 12 oz cup. Either way you are still getting the same pour size of alcohol, but one will have more/less mixer and determine how strong the drink tastes.

a martini on the rocks is going to look a lot smaller than the DOD, the type of drink determines what glass they use

True.

Remember the plastic hurricane glasses? We were shocked to figure out that those hold the same amount as the plastic Lido deck bar tumblers. Yes, we poured a tumbler into the hurricane glass.

I have never had the experience of getting short changed in terms of my drinks, and I have had Cheers 4-5 times. In fact, there were times when I know I was getting a better pour because I was a regular who tipped well.

We usually find 3-4 bartenders throughout the cruise. One daytime (usually aft, lido bar), the atrium bar; and one evening bar (usually Alchemy Bar, but will vary if the ship doesn't have an Alchemy) and we become regulars. Sometimes if we find a bartender we really like, we will go out of our way to visit their bar.

We tip each drink too. Even if it's just dollar on top of the prepaid tip amount. They know we prepaid tips, and the little extra helps. If we get really great service, we go back and give them an extra $20 on the last night. And when we have time, we sit at the bar and talk to the bartender when they aren't busy, get to know them. It helps bump us up when they are busy :D

i don't think the smaller drinks have anything to do with alcohol content, but more so the size of the cup. I will agree when i order a vodka ____ (fill in the blank) it is usually in a smaller 8 oz cup, but if requested they will make it in a larger 12 oz cup. Either way you are still getting the same pour size of alcohol, but one will have more/less mixer and determine how strong the drink tastes.

absolutely agree!

Thats been going on for years since the Cheers was rolled out! If you order a jack and coke lets say, the size glass is just a little larger than a juice glass, then they ask you if you want a double for an uncharge. Lets not forget (not that I ever got to max 15 drinks a day but if you drink beer it be easy to do) that you have to deal with the 15 maximum drink per day rule. If you go to the alchemy bar they serve the larger glasses and it also depends what you order, such as a Long Island Iced Tea be in a tall glass as so would a margarita and many others.

I have not had this experience either this was from someone evidently who just got back from a cruise last week and it is something new. I understand that there are different types of drinks that come in different size glasses. They had stated that they were with someone who did not have Cheers and ordered same drink and the Cheers came in smaller glasses. I just wanted to see if anyone else had the same experience.

I am good with smaller amount of mixer as long as the alcohol is the same amount and not trying to start a rumor, trying to get the facts.

Thanks to recent cruisers for sharing their experiences with Cheers and smaller drinks.

It means a lot to the rest of us ready to make decisions with our 2018 vacation dollars.

Hopefully you've read the other responses before making those decisions. Whether I have CHEERS or not, certain drinks (for example a screwdriver) come in a small 8 oz glass. I find that to be a little strong, so I always ask for the "taller" glass. I don't think Carnival is ripping off passengers who purchase CHEERS.