Boarding the ship - steep ramps

upstatecruisers

Every cruise I been on involved walking up a very steep ramp when first boarding the ship. I am handicapped, but can walk. I just can't do many stairs anymore and am concerned I won't be able to navigate a long, steep ramp. I'm sailing on RCL's Anthem at the end of the month and would appreciate feedback. Thanks.

Hi! I have the exact same problem.

Easy solution: call your cruise line (or have your TA do it) & ask for assistance boarding. For me, that is wheelchair assistance from the terminal to on board. A pleasant steward will wheel you up & on.

You can request the same (in reverse) for disembarkation.

I try to tip the stewards each way (sometimes they move to their next guest so fast that I miss them).

Requesting wheelchair assistance when embarking or disembarking a cruise ought to solve the issue. During port calls, if the steepness of the gangway is an issue, the crew stationed at the gangway door will help. I have seen crew in front and behind someone on a scooter going down the gangway, helping to control the scooter. I saw a Deck Officer stationed at the gangway help a challenged guest. The Officer walked backwards down the gangway, helping the gentleman down the steps of the steep gangway.

Requesting wheelchair assistance when embarking or disembarking a cruise ought to solve the issue. During port calls, if the steepness of the gangway is an issue, the crew stationed at the gangway door will help. I have seen crew in front and behind someone on a scooter going down the gangway, helping to control the scooter. I saw a Deck Officer stationed at the gangway help a challenged guest. The Officer walked backwards down the gangway, helping the gentleman down the steps of the steep gangway.

I have seen gangways go from a relatively slight angle to very steep during the day and by the time we sail away, its hard for crew to geta wheelchair up. as gthe T ides change, the ganggway angle also changes. C annot control that. Low tide to high tide and very different steepness to the gangway.

My husband had a knee replacement and in Charleston usually gets on the ship on deck 3, the deck for the handicapped. He goes out the door onto the 'pier' and walks on the ship. This is where the crew comes and goes.

Twice when another ship was docked there- not its home port- he was told he'd have to walk up the long steep ramp to deck 7. He asked for a wheelchair and one appeared right away and he was wheeled on then off the ship.

Never be afraid or embarrassed to ask for assistance from the ship's crew when boarding or disembarking, both in the home port and in the ports you will visit.. One of the most important parts of their job is passenger safety, and if they are made aware that you need help, they always seem happy to be the one(s) to provide it.

This is great information. DH does have problems walking, and we are cruising out of Charleston next spring. this spring we are sailing out of Jacksonville, and the last three times we have done that we have been getting on at the lower level. But that is the normal entry level now.

Have a great cruise!

In Charleston you have to walk up a LONG steep ramp to get to deck 7 which is where guest services, tours and a bar are. This is where everyone but handicapped get on. Handicapped goes out a door and walks right to the crew entrance on deck 3. This is also the handicapped entrance where all in wheelchairs get on. My husband is handicapped but not in a wheelchair.(He's had heart surgery and knee replacement surgery.) They know us there but he's never been asked how he is handicapped.

In Port Canaveral it is a very long walk to get to the ship and hadicapped are usually the 1st to get on.

Crew would far rather you ask for assistance than trry to push yourself beyond your limits. They don't want any avoida ble injuries. Ask for help. THey will thank you. Don 't have an a cccden t for failure to ask for help, IMO