Princess just canceled my shore excursion...

rjrice1

Just got an email from Princess this am; they cancel our shore excursion for Limon Costa Rica

three weeks out :(

All the others that I was interested in have "wait list"

Has anyone used a private on in Limon and who??

Saw one from Viator. Are they good?

We joined folks on from our roll call on an independent excursion in Costa Rica on our Island Princess cruise. One of the women made all the arrangements, so I don't know who we used. It was great in that we made it to the sloth sanctuary ahead of the big buses. We had a private tour with one of the founders. We also took a boat excursion in the Tortuguero Canals and had lunch at a beachside restaurant.

We had previously visited Costa Rica, and it is a beautiful country with amazing wildlife. We spent the morning at Veruga Rain Forest, which has an interesting gondola ride through the rainforest and hiking paths. It was not quite as spectacular as the Monteverde cloud forest, but quite lovely and a good option if you are docking at the port of Colon. At the bottom of the gondala ride, you can either hike to the waterfall (which requires climbing approximately 350 fairly steep steps but my 2 year old was able to manage most of this with assistance) or hike through a flat path through the rainforest. There are also frog and butterfly exhibitions. In the afternoon, we enjoyed a very tranquil ecocruise at Tortuguera with lots of birds and some animals, including an alligator. Eduardo Humphreys (yourluckytour@gmail.com) provided us with a highly skilled 4x4 driver (which is absolutely necessary if you are traveling a long distance on Costa Rica's roads!) and arranged for the lovely ecotour.

I am sorry Princess canceled your excursion. They did that to me once...a few days before we hit the port (yes, already on the ship). It was too late to get anything to replace this port.

I tried to do an independent tour in Limon. Spent months trying to find a tour guide that would take me to the Jaguar Sanctuary. Long Story Short, I was never able to build a tour for me. All I needed was one other person to share the cost. You did not say which tour was canceled. Princess generally has a very valid reason for the cancellation (usually the vendor did not meet their standards). I was shocked to see how many tours were pre-arranged for this port.

I am not allowed to name the tour groups I inquired about because I did not use any of them. At least you are still at home and have unlimited use of the internet to find a replacement. Good Luck. I was impressed with the amount of wildlife in Limon (even though you do need to get out of the city limits).

Colon is a different port than Limon. Colon/Christo...(spelling?) was only used as a collection stop for those that got off the ship on Lake Gatun. Limon is only listed when doing a round trip from Fort Lauderdale.

We used J Joiner Tours and they were fantastic! They were able to customize a tour just for our family. We had a boat ride down the Torteguero canals, visited the sloth sanctuary and went zip lining. Also had an authentic Costa Rican lunch that was superb. And we paid a fraction of the cost that Princess was charging for their excursions, none of which included all the things we did that day in one package. We had JJ himself as our tour guide that day and he was an amazing guide. Highly recommend him and his company.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you

I went with your suggestion.

We had previously visited Costa Rica, and it is a beautiful country with amazing wildlife. We spent the morning at Veruga Rain Forest, which has an interesting gondola ride through the rainforest and hiking paths. It was not quite as spectacular as the Monteverde cloud forest, but quite lovely and a good option if you are docking at the port of Colon. At the bottom of the gondala ride, you can either hike to the waterfall (which requires climbing approximately 350 fairly steep steps but my 2 year old was able to manage most of this with assistance) or hike through a flat path through the rainforest. There are also frog and butterfly exhibitions. In the afternoon, we enjoyed a very tranquil ecocruise at Tortuguera with lots of birds and some animals, including an alligator. Eduardo Humphreys (yourluckytour@gmail.com) provided us with a highly skilled 4x4 driver (which is absolutely necessary if you are traveling a long distance on Costa Rica's roads!) and arranged for the lovely ecotour.