Lost drivers license paper replacement

trish4801

So going on a cruise with family members. It will be my 21 year old granddaughter's first cruise in 2 weeks. Last night she lost her drivers license claims she thought some one took it. The state of Kansas will issue her a temporary one on paper and mail her new one in 3 to 4 weeks. Called Carnival for my daughter who is so worried about the granddaughter (her daughter) not being allowed to board. The Carnival rep said she could board with the paper one provided it has her picture on it, which Kansas temporary does. Has anyone had to deal with this and did you find that to be the case? Just don't want to drive all the way and find they won't let her on.

So going on a cruise with family members. It will be my 21 year old granddaughter's first cruise in 2 weeks. Last night she lost her drivers license claims she thought some one took it. The state of Kansas will issue her a temporary one on paper and mail her new one in 3 to 4 weeks. Called Carnival for my daughter who is so worried about the granddaughter (her daughter) not being allowed to board. The Carnival rep said she could board with the paper one provided it has her picture on it, which Kansas temporary does. Has anyone had to deal with this and did you find that to be the case? Just don't want to drive all the way and find they won't let her on.

My wife had a similar experience with a temp drivers license from Kansas (although she is way past 21 and she still had her temp paper license.) To make a long story short, she renewed her drivers license on Dec. 4th but by Jan. 13th when we were flying out for the cruise, her new license had not yet arrived. What we discovered is an expired drivers license is still valid for one year after it expires for the purpose of establishing proof of identity and age although you can’t drive using it. I would contact Carnival again to see what they say. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have read several threads regarding this topic and the OP in each case reported no issue boarding the cruise. As the Carnival rep correctly responded that as long as it has a photo on it you should be good to go. You could go to the trouble of trying to get an expedited passport, but the State Department may not accept a copy of the temporary license and you would likely forfeit any fees you paid for the passport (or they might suspend processing until your daughter gets her license, in which case you would still be paying the expedited fee).

Just to set the record straight. I never claimed you had to have a passport to cruise....the OP was worried about her DD's temporary license being valid. If that was a concern, i suggested a passport thru the expedited process. Now, taking that a step further, when cruising to a foreign country, should you have your passport....ABSOLUTELY!!!! Most TA's will tell you that on closed loop cruises, you dont need a passport, and that is correct. The sidebar is, lets say you get off at port at one of these countries and get hurt or get sick on the ship and have to be taken off the ship at the next port for hospitalization....The Ship is not waiting, so do get home, you will have to scramble and go to the consulate or embassy and get a passport to be able to travel home. So it pays to have your passport for any cruise that goes outside of the USA

Do you need a passport if you are a US citizen on a closed loop cruise? As a rule, no (there are some exceptions). Is it advisable to have one? That is up to the passenger to decide. As for your scenario it only pays to have your passport IF something happens. What are the odds of something happening? For most passengers the risk is very low and many are comfortable with assuming the small risk involved.

Yes, the OP is worried about the temporary license being valid and Carnival has assured her that it is. So whether or not she wants to go through the time, trouble and expense to get a passport at this juncture is entirely up to her.

You seem to be trying to create a debate with me....I agree with what you said above. Yes, its a preference for every passenger with what documents they want when they travel when there is a choice. The OP made it seem like the person wasnt comfortable with what the Carnival rep told him/her or they wouldnt be posting here for validation....get a passport, eliminates all doubt, thats the simple answer. Are accidents/injuries/sickness on a cruise common place, no. They do happen and if they do and you are at a foreign port, besides dealing with the hospital, you will have to deal with the consulate/embassy to secure a passport to get home. My recommendation is to get it prior to leaving as opposed to scrambling to get it

Just offering counterpoint to your point, not to change your mind but the OP might find it helpful to see both sides, as may anyone that may find this thread in the future.

There are many cruise related situations that have a low risk rate, yet many posters here proclaim their virtue. Things like flying/driving in a day or 2 early prior to the cruise, buying cruise insurance, only going on ship excursions, not flying back home after a cruise before the cruiseline's suggested time and having a passport.

Everyone of these decisions is totally personal, and it is expected that once a poster makes an informed decision that's appropriate for their own situation there is no whining afterwards! Me, I always have a passport whenever I travel internationally. JMO, YMMV!

But i never claimed the OP HAD to have a passport....for MOST closed loop cruises, a drivers license and a birth certificate is appropriate....agreed

The point of my reply to the OP was he/she didnt seem warm and fuzzy with the confirmation they got from Carnival. So an alternative to stressing about that info over the next 2 weeks was to get a passport, via the expedited process. Solves any stress for that issue

I don't believe that I said that you said that. You responded to my post and my response was in response to that. (And I also reassured her that other posters who had a similar issue reported that they boarded just fine, so that coupled with the reassurance from CCL should also solve any stress.)

You can also get a state issued ID...which is a picture ID. My son didn't get his DL until he was 19...but got a State ID between 16-18 which he used on cruises.

Not sure what the rules are in Kansas but here it's one or the other, you can't have both a drivers license and non-drivers license ID.

What I don't understand....why can't you go to the DMV and get a replacement. I realize each state is different in their rules...but my children misplaced/lost their licenses in Illinois and PA and just went down to local DMV office and got a replacement....Only difference they added a number to the License number showing the number of duplicates. I think my son had 3 duplicates before turning 25!! LOL

What I don't understand....why can't you go to the DMV and get a replacement. I realize each state is different in their rules...but my children misplaced/lost their licenses in Illinois and PA and just went down to local DMV office and got a replacement....Only difference they added a number to the License number showing the number of duplicates. I think my son had 3 duplicates before turning 25!! LOL

In NC the DMV doesn’t print out licenses or state IDs which is why someone would have a paper temp ID. The state sends in 7-10 days later. My dD just turned 21, and got a paper license and her regular one a week later in the mail.

The reason I asked here is I had figured this could not be the first time this has happened and had hoped someone could, from experience, answer this question. I have since called the DMV in Topeka (state capital) to see if we drove there if they could issue the regular dl. Found out they can't do it either, would also issue the paper temporary, that the hardcopy is made in Georgia and mailed to home in 2 to 4 weeks. Called Carnival to see if I got the same answer, that the temporary one would work, but I didn't. So decided to call Homeland Security since they make the rules, they were closed. Also the DMV in Kansas is closed on Monday, What!:mad:

As for the passport the 17 year old did at trip to Europe a couple years ago a couple weeks before she was to leave passport had not shown up. Daughter decided to contact them and have it expedited it came 2 days late. It was a trip with her girl scout troop. Daughter had to pay extra so 17 year old could catch a different flight to catch up with her girl scout troop. Am going to call Homeland when I get off work they should have the real answer. Since the 17 year old was sharing a cabin with the 21 few doors down from us we are now also concerned that will they still let her stay alone. Daughter was going to see if she could move to a cabin for 4 but I think its to late for that.

If she has time to get an expedited passport, then I would recommend it. When my husband and I applied to renew our passports in December, we got them quickly. We went to the post office on different days and had the post office over-night an expedited application. My husband got his new passport around 7 days later and I got mine around 9 days later.

When my oldest son was going out of the country and it looked like his passport wasn't going to arrive in time, he made an appointment with a passport office. He took his travel documents to that office and got a passport right away.

Not in this case. OP said that her granddaughter lost her license. She doesn't have the old one.

Actually my wife used her temp paper Kansas DL to board the ship since it is an official KS DL but they just told her she could have used her expired DL if she had wanted to, TSA told her the same applies for flying as well which I included as a point of information.

Sent from my iPad using Forums