How to bump someone out of their accessible cabin?

samshltn

I've just booked a 'mini-suite with balcony' for my cruise in June. It was the last one, and it is 'accessible'. I do not have a disability.

Now lets say someone with a disability wanted that cabin. What would they have to do to get it? They can't book a 'mini-suite with balcony' and ask to have the accessible one, because there are no 'mini-suite with balconies' left to book. They can't book a lower cabin and insist on an upgrade to an accessible higher cabin (can they?!). And presumably they wouldn't want to book a higher cabin, and ask to be downgraded to a lower accessible cabin.

Presumably if another 'mini-suite with balcony' guest injured themselves and became disabled between now and the cruise, they would switch with us... but unless that happens, am I staying in the cabin I've booked?

I booked this type of cabin by mistake one time and we had no issues that would warrant us to have an accessible. They immediately sent me a notice that I had booked an accessible, and I had not realized this so I called NCL right away. The NCL rep. told me it was okay, to keep it and if they needed it for someone else, they would have to upgrade us to a suite on this particular ship. It was the last mini in the aft, and he said the policy is to bump up to the next category cabin- which was a suite. He reassured me I did not have to switch booking at this point.

We ended up staying in the cabin- and were able to enjoy the extra space.

I also called and booked a cruise thru NCL and their rep gave us a accessible aft balcony. After realizing this I called back and they said if they need the cabin they would contact us. Never recieve a call sailed and enjoyed extra space also.

I'd like to know: If someone wanted that cabin...
You would know if and when NCL decides to move you.

It's not as if NCL has to ask you. They will just do it, and there's nothing you can do about it.

You would know if and when NCL decides to move you. It's not as if NCL has to ask you. They will just do it, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Oh I agree. But I wonder:

If someone wanted that cabin, what would they have to do to get it?

... Specifically given the points I memention earlier.

I call Ncl and told them they assigned me an accessible cabin. I was told by them that if someone needed that cabin I would be moved. When I called NCL to book it was last aft cabin so it was assigned to us but I actually hoped someone would need cabin and I could get a suite.

I once booked an accessible cabin on NCL, and soon after we got on board, they were calling me to guest services to tell me they needed it, and we were upgraded to an OV from an inside cabin. The only time I ever booked an inside, and we did not end up in it.

I've just booked a 'mini-suite with balcony' for my cruise in June. It was the last one, and it is 'accessible'. I do not have a disability.

Now lets say someone with a disability wanted that cabin. What would they have to do to get it? They can't book a 'mini-suite with balcony' and ask to have the accessible one, because there are no 'mini-suite with balconies' left to book. They can't book a lower cabin and insist on an upgrade to an accessible higher cabin (can they?!). And presumably they wouldn't want to book a higher cabin, and ask to be downgraded to a lower accessible cabin.

Presumably if another 'mini-suite with balcony' guest injured themselves and became disabled between now and the cruise, they would switch with us... but unless that happens, am I staying in the cabin I've booked?

NCL will not miss a sale just to hold cabins for " Accessible ".

Disabled must book early or settle for what is left.

No one can Insist to buy an upgrade.

They should hold them for disabled guests, because some handicapped people can not book far in advance due to health related issues and by the time they can, no accessible staterooms are available for them!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

How long do you want them to hold it for? If they are only accessible rooms left, someone who does not need one, will be shut out and NCL would lose money.

Are you asking if they need to prove that they are disabled and need the cabin?

Hello :)

No, let's assume that no-one would lie about that. What I mean is, since the cabin-class I'm in is now sold-out, is there any risk of a disabled person needing my cabin?

They can't book a 'mini-suite with balcony' and ask to have the accessible one, because there are no 'mini-suite with balconies' left to book.

They can't book a lower cabin and insist on an upgrade to an accessible higher cabin (can they?!).

And presumably they wouldn't want to book a higher cabin, and ask to be downgraded to a lower accessible cabin.

So... if a disabled person wanted 'my' cabin... what would they have to book?

They should hold them for disabled guests, because some handicapped people can not book far in advance due to health related issues and by the time they can, no accessible staterooms are available for them!

They WILL move a non-handicapped person if they need to for handicapped person especially if they are cruising out of the United States because of the laws requiring accommodation for the disabled that we have here. I am not wheelchair confined but I do use a cane and at times have even required a walker. I was placed in a handicapped room on a recent cruise because I had explained my difficulties to the sales person and had requested a room close to the elevator to shorten my walking distance. When I discovered that I was assigned to a wheelchair accessible room I called because I do not require a wheelchair and I did not wish to take up a space that was needed by somebody in a wheelchair. I was told that those rooms are reserved for handicapped persons if they require mobility assistance even if not wheelchair confined. So I was not in danger of being booted from my room.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They WILL move a non-handicapped person if they need to for handicapped person...

Yes, I'm sure they will, and I believe they should. But do they upgrade/downgrade a 'handicapped' person into a cabin-class that they didn't book? That's my question...

Yes, I'm sure they will, and I believe they should. But do they upgrade/downgrade a 'handicapped' person into a cabin-class that they didn't book? That's my question...

If they have it marked that you are not handicapped and someone requests a handicap cabin in that class they will give it to them and upgrade you to the next level. They wouldn't downgrade someone unless they asked ahead of time and then would probably offer some compensation.

Candi

Upgrade is the preferred direction - but if it is necessary NCL may downgrade with compensation i.e. OBC.

or other amenities.

When playing musical cabins to accommodate all the concerned parties - UPGRADING - is the preferred

method of keeping all parties happy - if a ship sails full this complicates the available space to work with.

Each sailing may present different solutions to this - no standard answer.

I am sure NCL would rather have its cruising customers pleased with the cabin provided rather than a

"Take it or leave it like it or not" selection.

This kind of bummed me out..we are cruising with my in laws in December. We (or I should say THEY) wanted ajoining rooms as we have a 13 year old so if we were out they could stay with her but still be in their own space being able to leave the door open. My FIL uses a scoot scoot so they needed a HC accessible room...we do not. We were basically told when we booked that if we took the HC accessible room next to them and if they needed the room it sounded like we'd have to sleep in the kitchen. We were scared by the way they made it sound so we booked an aft balcony down the hall. They argued and really did make it sound like we would be downgraded instead of upgraded. Wish I would have seen this a few months ago when we booked.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Forums mobile app

How long do you want them to hold it for? If they are only accessible rooms left, someone who does not need one, will be shut out and NCL would lose money.

A reasonable amount of time. Say final payment date. Why not apply your thinking to handicap parking spots when they are the only ones left? People who intentionally book these rooms for the extra space or hopes of getting a free upgrade have questionable characters imo.....coming from someone who deals with a truly disabled parent every single day of my life. I mean, whatever. Do you. But know we're all in this together and your actions affect others.

This kind of bummed me out..we are cruising with my in laws in December. We (or I should say THEY) wanted ajoining rooms as we have a 13 year old so if we were out they could stay with her but still be in their own space being able to leave the door open. My FIL uses a scoot scoot so they needed a HC accessible room...we do not. We were basically told when we booked that if we took the HC accessible room next to them and if they needed the room it sounded like we'd have to sleep in the kitchen. We were scared by the way they made it sound so we booked an aft balcony down the hall. They argued and really did make it sound like we would be downgraded instead of upgraded. Wish I would have seen this a few months ago when we booked.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Forums mobile app

On Celebrity, you can absolutely be downgraded. We had to fill out forms affirming that my father needed an accessible room and the paperwork said if it turned out we did not, we could be rebooked into any room category without reimbursement and frankly, I think that is a good policy. Might be different on NCL.

I recently sailed with my mother who uses a motorized scooter. There were no accessible cabins available at booking, so she paid for a balcony and she was downgraded to an accessible inside stateroom. All accessible rooms should be held for those who need them. Many handicapped people can not book far in advance due to volatile health and they should not be discouraged from traveling by having no accessible cabins available.

A reasonable amount of time. Say final payment date. Why not apply your thinking to handicap parking spots when they are the only ones left? People who intentionally book these rooms for the extra space or hopes of getting a free upgrade have questionable characters imo.....coming from someone who deals with a truly disabled parent every single day of my life. I mean, whatever. Do you. But know we're all in this together and your actions affect others.

I'd think it would be fair for cruise lines to hold all accessible cabins until one of these things happen: final payment date or when all the other nonaccessible cabins in that category have sold out (and by category I'd define that widely such as the accessible cabin should be the last one released out of all balcony, inside or suite rooms)

Final payment date sounds like reasonable time.

People who park in handicap spots are dirt

On Celebrity, you can absolutely be downgraded. We had to fill out forms affirming that my father needed an accessible room and the paperwork said if it turned out we did not, we could be rebooked into any room category without reimbursement and frankly, I think that is a good policy. Might be different on NCL.

Right, but there’s a huge difference with booking an accessible cabin when other options are available, especially if you lie to get it vs the cruise line offering you an accessible cabin because it’s the only cabin in that category left available. In that case you are helping the cruise line because they held that cabin back for a handicap person who never materialized but still want someone to sail in it. In that case an upgrade only policy is very reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums