How to bump someone out of their accessible cabin?

samshltn

Now lets say someone with a disability wanted that cabin. What would they have to do to get it?

Speaking from experience. I am disabled. If I called and wanted to book an accessible mini-suite and was told they were sold out, I would call the NCL Access Department. When you are disabled, you fill out paperwork and send it to the Access folks outlining your disability and other special needs. If you are assigned the cabin, but are not disabled, of course you don't fill out that paperwork. So, if I called the Access Department, they can check the existing accessible mini-suite bookings to see if they are booked by disabled or able-bodied guests. (If there is no paperwork on file, they first email the guest and ask for the paperwork.) If there is none, from there they can look to re-accommodate the original guest.

While I'm disabled, I was on the "recipient" end of the query email. I had forgotten to fill out my paperwork since I cruise alot and didn't keep track of which cruises I'd completed the forms for. About a month before sail date, I received an email from someone in the NCL Access Department asking me to please confirm my need for an accessible cabin by submitting the appropriate paperwork (which I did.)

PS I also posted an another thread recently about my experiences onboard. I have "bumped" able-bodied folks twice on cruises (not at my request.) Both happened on Day 2 of the cruise. Once was for a plumbing problem in my assigned cabin, the other was for a faulty balcony door. Both times NCL moved me to a previously-occupied accessible cabin. Not sure where the original occupants landed.

• 1 month later...
Speaking from experience. I am disabled. If I called and wanted to book an accessible mini-suite and was told they were sold out, I would call the NCL Access Department. When you are disabled, you fill out paperwork and send it to the Access folks outlining your disability and other special needs. If you are assigned the cabin, but are not disabled, of course you don't fill out that paperwork. So, if I called the Access Department, they can check the existing accessible mini-suite bookings to see if they are booked by disabled or able-bodied guests. (If there is no paperwork on file, they first email the guest and ask for the paperwork.) If there is none, from there they can look to re-accommodate the original guest.

While I'm disabled, I was on the "recipient" end of the query email. I had forgotten to fill out my paperwork since I cruise alot and didn't keep track of which cruises I'd completed the forms for. About a month before sail date, I received an email from someone in the NCL Access Department asking me to please confirm my need for an accessible cabin by submitting the appropriate paperwork (which I did.)

PS I also posted an another thread recently about my experiences onboard. I have "bumped" able-bodied folks twice on cruises (not at my request.) Both happened on Day 2 of the cruise. Once was for a plumbing problem in my assigned cabin, the other was for a faulty balcony door. Both times NCL moved me to a previously-occupied accessible cabin. Not sure where the original occupants landed.

If they had to bump them after sailing I bet they gave them a pretty sweet upgrade for the inconvenience. I also am mobility impaired but so far I have only required intermittent cane or walker use but my RA is getting worse and I fear there may come a time soon when I need a wheelchair so I have a question. If and when I am confined to a wheelchair does that mean I can never take a last minute cruise again?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sometimes it can occur if people have a room, but have an accident and become temporarily handicap. That is when it occurs last minute. My guess is equal or higher replacement, but sometimes I would guess nothing can be done because the ship is completely booked.

If you need an accessible cabin and there are none, you call the special department and they will then look to see if any of those cabins are occupied by people who don't need it, once they find someone, they will work to get the accessible cabin to the person that needs it and the people in that cabin to either an upgraded cabin or a lower cabin with credit if there are no higher cabins available.

I called to make a reservation on Monday. There were NO HC cabins on the cruise I want BUT there were other cabins in every category. The guy told me that people lie about needing a HC all the time. Evidently they don't ask for proof. They didn't ask me for any but it will be obvious when I show up. I DO need a HC bathroom and was able to get the last one available on another cruise. All I have to say is karma is a b!tch and someday the dishonest ones may need those facilities too. I would much rather be able to shower and use the regular bathroom than the HC one. BTW the "bidding" process they have shows that there are still cabins available to move you to.

I am sitting here with a letter I received after making my reservation. There is NOTHING to fill out. The letter states that I may be moved if I DO NOT have a disability. But I do and my scooter should make that obvious to them.

I am sitting here with a letter I received after making my reservation. There is NOTHING to fill out. The letter states that I may be moved if I DO NOT have a disability. But I do and my scooter should make that obvious to them.

I can't explain that. Here is the letter & form I received:

40865449121_1427e1656f.jpg

40157053984_3b93c67637.jpg

40865449041_5cfccdb35f.jpg

40157053794_34ea0dabb7.jpg

I receive this same set of documents for all my bookings (at least 3-4 per year with NCL.) I actually keep made copies "filled out" without the ship/sail date so I don't have to fill it out from scratch every time.

• 3 months later...

Not to be a jerk but when booking Bliss for 2020,there are literally 2 aft facing mini suites on the entire ship and both are accessible cabins..how is that fair to able bodied guests?If even one of the 2 were available to anyone there wouldn't be any cases of people lying to get the desirable aft facing mini suites..When NCL decided to make both accessible only,it opened the door for dishonesty...We wanted aft for upcoming Jade sailing and only accessible was available so we booked mid ship instead...now a week before final payment our CAS rep contacted us to let us know they could move us to the accessible cabin so we took it...I have no problem moving if necessary and they move us to higher category but I paid more for the aft facing and wont accept a downgrade,and I don't think that makes me a bad person

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Not to be a jerk but when booking Bliss for 2020,there are literally 2 aft facing mini suites on the entire ship and both are accessible cabins..how is that fair to able bodied guests?If even one of the 2 were available to anyone there wouldn't be any cases of people lying to get the desirable aft facing mini suites..When NCL decided to make both accessible only,it opened the door for dishonesty...We wanted aft for upcoming Jade sailing and only accessible was available so we booked mid ship instead...now a week before final payment our CAS rep contacted us to let us know they could move us to the accessible cabin so we took it...I have no problem moving if necessary and they move us to higher category but I paid more for the aft facing and wont accept a downgrade,and I don't think that makes me a bad person

It doesn't make you a bad person at all. However, by accepting the move to an accessible cabin you are agreeing, as you said, to being moved if required. That could happen either before or after sailing.

There is no guarantee that there will be an "upgrade" available or offered, so if downgraded I am sure NCL would offer you some OBC or fare adjustment.

As I have posted several times, I have been in the unfortunate position of having to "bump" folks out of accessible cabins mid-cruise twice. Both times occurred on Day 2 of the cruise. Once was a automatic balcony door issue (wouldn't close at all) and the other was a plumbing problem that NCL could not readily fix. I am not sure what happened to the original occupants of the accessible cabin(s) I was moved into though.

As long as you are aware of this possibility and are fine with it, I don't see any problems with you taking the aft.

Not to be a jerk but when booking Bliss for 2020,there are literally 2 aft facing mini suites on the entire ship and both are accessible cabins..how is that fair to able bodied guests?

There are aft-facing balconies and aft-facing suites for able bodied guests. Those needing HC cannot use either or those 2 categories.

If even one of the 2 were available to anyone there wouldn't be any cases of people lying to get the desirable aft facing mini suites..When NCL decided to make both accessible only,it opened the door for dishonesty.

The only thing "suite" about those staterooms is the size. They are larger because they need to be.

We wanted aft for upcoming Jade sailing and only accessible was available so we booked mid ship instead...now a week before final payment our CAS rep contacted us to let us know they could move us to the accessible cabin so we took it...I have no problem moving if necessary and they move us to higher category but I paid more for the aft facing and wont accept a downgrade,and I don't think that makes me a bad person.

There's nothing wrong with taking a HC stateroom so close to sailing. NCL will release whatever is left including the aft-facing mini-suites on Bliss if they aren't already booked.

A reasonable amount of time. Say final payment date. Why not apply your thinking to handicap parking spots when they are the only ones left?

Handicapped parking spaces are free and a business does not lose any money if they remain unused. An accessible cabin is another story entirely

It doesn't make you a bad person at all. However, by accepting the move to an accessible cabin you are agreeing, as you said, to being moved if required. That could happen either before or after sailing.

There is no guarantee that there will be an "upgrade" available or offered, so if downgraded I am sure NCL would offer you some OBC or fare adjustment.

As I have posted several times, I have been in the unfortunate position of having to "bump" folks out of accessible cabins mid-cruise twice. Both times occurred on Day 2 of the cruise. Once was a automatic balcony door issue (wouldn't close at all) and the other was a plumbing problem that NCL could not readily fix. I am not sure what happened to the original occupants of the accessible cabin(s) I was moved into though.

As long as you are aware of this possibility and are fine with it, I don't see any problems with you taking the aft.

Thank you for your input...I reached out to ncl and was informed that after sailing there is chance that we could be asked,but not forced, to switch cabins and if moved before sailing,being downgraded would be highly unlikely...I didn't agree to take the aft mini suite to get a free upgrade or take anything from a disabled person,but exactly how long is NCL expected to let a cabin go unsold before releasing it to the general public??They offered the switch from midship to aft mini less than a week before final payment date,and I didn't ask for the accessible cabin..I called to pay difference to move to aft suite,which wasn't available due to computer glitch on their end...It was NCL who offered the aft mini suite knowing it was HC accessible...I just don't want my wife or myself getting dirty looks for taking the cabin

If it looks like a fish and swims like a fish...
NCL offered the cabin up knowing full well that we don't have a need for accessible cabin so if you want to judge,then judge cruise line..apparently according to NCL, able bodied guests can book an accessible cabin after final payment due date or if it is the last remaining cabin in that category type,which it is in this case...might want to do your homework

Thank you for your input...I reached out to ncl and was informed that after sailing there is chance that we could be asked,but not forced, to switch cabins and if moved before sailing,being downgraded would be highly unlikely...I didn't agree to take the aft mini suite to get a free upgrade or take anything from a disabled person,but exactly how long is NCL expected to let a cabin go unsold before releasing it to the general public??They offered the switch from midship to aft mini less than a week before final payment date,and I didn't ask for the accessible cabin..I called to pay difference to move to aft suite,which wasn't available due to computer glitch on their end...It was NCL who offered the aft mini suite knowing it was HC accessible...I just don't want my wife or myself getting dirty looks for taking the cabin

I don't think you will get any dirty looks.

As far as being "asked", but not "forced" to give up your cabin after sailing - I can't imagine you would say no if someone truly in need required the cabin? I would hope that if a disabled person needed to be relocated to your cabin that you would consider the impact on that person if you said no. I think that would definitely garner some dirty looks.

I was lucky on the couple of times it happened to me that there actually were able-bodied folks booked into accessible cabins that were able to be moved - otherwise I am not sure what NCL could have done for me.

My only issue is that when folks accept these rooms when offered by NCL, it is an offer that, if accepted, comes with caveats and not with guarantees. If people are not fine with that, then they should seriously consider whether to accept the offer.

I can't explain that. Here is the letter & form I received:

40865449121_1427e1656f.jpg

40157053984_3b93c67637.jpg

40865449041_5cfccdb35f.jpg

40157053794_34ea0dabb7.jpg

I receive this same set of documents for all my bookings (at least 3-4 per year with NCL.) I actually keep made copies "filled out" without the ship/sail date so I don't have to fill it out from scratch every time.

I am booked in a handicap cabin on the Bliss for October. I have not received these documents. When I booked the cabin I had to call and I was questioned as to my disability. The person I spoke to didn't indicate I would have to fill out any forms. I will happily do so as trying to fit my walker in the closet in an inside room has been problematic in the past. Thank you for posting this information. I will keep checking my email to see if they contact me.

Candi

Just a little info from the other side. Last two cruises that I have book...no handicap rooms. Mom's chair folds up nicely. And I can help with the shower. We make due.

How far before sail date did you book? Wondering if there's a specific point at which they release these cabins to anyone .

Just off the Escape. My son an daughter were booked in a balcony with me, mine you I booked this cruise back in 2016. 3 weeks before the cruise My daughter broke her leg, had surgery and was put in a cast then a boot the week before the cruise. I tried to change to a handicapped cabin but everything was booked. Ok, so I ordered her a scooter which we had to take off the arms to get it into the cabin. It was a bit tricky but was possible. Well, the hard part was her getting into the bathroom with her crutches. There's that step you have to get up and I prayed she wouldn't fall. I was a nervous wreck.

We went to the meet & greet the next morning and met the officers and I told them what a hard time she was having using the bathroom. Well they told me they would check to see if they could move us.

And guess what, we got a call that evening they got a handicapped inside cabin for her and right down the hall from my balcony.

The couple happily moved and was upgraded to a large ocean view.

I never had to worry anymore. NCL went above & beyond.

I sent a thank you card an a bottle of wine to their new cabin.

So if you book a handicapped cabin and really don't need it you could be asked to moved.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just off the Escape. My son an daughter were booked in a balcony with me, mine you I booked this cruise back in 2016. 3 weeks before the cruise My daughter broke her leg, had surgery and was put in a cast then a boot the week before the cruise. I tried to change to a handicapped cabin but everything was booked. Ok, so I ordered her a scooter which we had to take off the arms to get it into the cabin. It was a bit tricky but was possible. Well, the hard part was her getting into the bathroom with her crutches. There's that step you have to get up and I prayed she wouldn't fall. I was a nervous wreck.

We went to the meet & greet the next morning and met the officers and I told them what a hard time she was having using the bathroom. Well they told me they would check to see if they could move us.

And guess what, we got a call that evening they got a handicapped inside cabin for her and right down the hall from my balcony.

The couple happily moved and was upgraded to a large ocean view.

I never had to worry anymore. NCL went above & beyond.

I sent a thank you card an a bottle of wine to their new cabin.

So if you book a handicapped cabin and really don't need it you could be asked to moved.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So glad it worked out for you.

I would hope that most people would change cabins, if asked, if they knew someone needed their handicapped cabin. (of course, the upgraded cabin from NCL helped too)

Sending them a bottle of wine was an extremely nice thing for you to do.

NCL only needs to maintain an amount of HC cabins to cover the normal booking breakdown. If 20% of the available cabins left are HC but only 10% of future customers will likely need them then so should be opened up. At some point as the sailing nears they are fair game.

• 3 weeks later...
NCL only needs to maintain an amount of HC cabins to cover the normal booking breakdown. If 20% of the available cabins left are HC but only 10% of future customers will likely need them then so should be opened up. At some point as the sailing nears they are fair game.

Unfortunately having the cabins and being able to afford the cabin are two different things. I am mobility impaired and I will be bringing my scooter at my next cruise but they told me there are no accessible cabins in my balcony category so the only way I would be able to get an accessible cabin would be to pay hundreds of dollars more!

I ended up calling the accessibility desk and the man there was able to find me an accessible balcony and there was no price increase so I will be able to use my scooter much more easily on my cruise!

• 6 months later...