What can be done to address crowding at the Punchliner?

Joebucks

I was on the Vista at the end of January. I never had an issue walking into the comedy club 5-10 min before the show started with our group of four and found seats right away. I def. think that it helped that had a staff member with a tablet scanning peoples cards at the entrance and denying underage people. That alone probably freed up 20 plus seats a show.

I was on the Vista at the end of January. I never had an issue walking into the comedy club 5-10 min before the show started with our group of four and found seats right away. I def. think that it helped that had a staff member with a tablet scanning peoples cards at the entrance and denying underage people. That alone probably freed up 20 plus seats a show.

With the Vista, it must make a huge difference on the time of the cruise. I went a week in the middle of January with a full ship and the lines were crazy long. I had never waited in line so long for decent seats at comedy or theater shows in all of my other cruises. I sailed in the summer on Liberty of the Seas and getting a good seat at shows was not an issue.

Back when they first created Punchliner (remember George Lopez?) they made a point of talking about how they wanted to have the more intimate atmosphere of a land-based comedy club - hence the smaller venues. On ships like Conquest-class, the main lounge isn't exctly intimate. To my mind the deck 1 lounges on Spirit-class ships are ideal for comedy - a lounge with good seating that still remains intimate coupled with only 2200 pax on the ship means you can enjoy the comedy without waiting 1/2 hour in line. We saw a good number of shows last year on Pride. Compare that with our experience on Vista the year before - we saw a grand total of one show and we did wait 1/2 hour (for a 1/2 hour show)! I tried to go back one night, arrived 1/2 hour early, and the line was already huge. I skipped it and went to listen to music in Ocean Plaza.

I don't think I have a solution to offer - I wouldn't want a cover charge, drink requireent or book in advance. If comedy is important to you, though, forewarned is forearmed.

Sounds like a question the suits need to answer or address. As for you as a cruiser, I would suggest getting to the lounge early enough to get a seat. Seems like the only realistic option.

Keys, i agree with your solution. If the comedy show is that important to a cruiser, then line up 60 mins early and you will get to see the show. I really dont think its something that the "suits" have to address. Their comedy shows are very popular in an intimate setting and playing to full houses. Why change. There are dozens of other activities going on the ship at any one time. Go occupy your time there. It seems there are some of the mindset of "I HAVE TO DO EVERYTHING"....c'mon, we are adults, not 6 yr olds. I cant imagine anyones cruise vacation will be ruined if you miss the comedy show

We had no problems or wait times on the Valor NYE sail.

Probably because our balcony was right above the Alchemy and comedy :)

For adult shows. By the time the comedian started, people were standing against the wall.

We asked to share a table once, most are nice.

On the Miracle, seems like comedy venue even more crowded in, packed chairs, elbow to elbow.

Princess had theirs in larger venue, but comedians not quite as good as carnival.

Going back to NCL next, and I don’t like at all that we have to board and reserve and get passes for comedy. :eek:

I don't think there can be a "one size fits all" solution, as each ship is different, and therefore the comedy crowds are different. I will say though, that I CAN'T STAND when the Comedy Mgr makes everyone leave the theater at the end of the show and queue up outside. Because every single time we've done that, we always get the SAME SEAT we just vacated. So, there was no reason to leave in the first place!

CeleBrat

The was no line on the Glory. The lounge was always open prior to the show. You still had to get there early for a good seat, but then you order a drink and relax while the crowds shuffled in. There were several nights that had back-to-back comedy sessions and you were allowed to stay in your seat (or move closer) to stay for the next show.

On other ships that we were on, they closed the lounge and forced a long line until they opened. If there was a second show, they cleared the lounge completely and made you join the end of long line that already formed.

I liked the Glory approach much better!!!

Move the comedians back to the main show lounge. We gave up after being asked to get up, get back in line and then scramble for a seat.

Then it was 50/50 that the talent wasn’t so talented, instead of writing their own material they spent time self-deprecating or making fun of those in the audience.

It’s no better than watching someone with new hair braids and sunburn destroy karaoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I like how it was on the Allure , everything is pre booked.

This! We LOVE Oasis class reservations. It's not required, so you can still go to shows without them, but making free reservations means great seats, no showing up early, no lines, etc. It's awesome. I wish every ship would institute this. We skipped the late comedy on Glory because of the ridiculous line down the promenade and long wait. Bleh.

On other ships that we were on, they closed the lounge and forced a long line until they opened. If there was a second show, they cleared the lounge completely and made you join the end of long line that already formed.

I liked the Glory approach much better!!!

This is exactly what they did on Glory when we sailed. Kicked everyone out and formed a huge line. I think maybe it was just not that busy on your sailing. But on ours, it was a disaster.

Move the comedians back to the main show lounge. We gave up after being asked to get up, get back in line and then scramble for a seat.

Then it was 50/50 that the talent wasn’t so talented, instead of writing their own material they spent time self-deprecating or making fun of those in the audience.

It’s no better than watching someone with new hair braids and sunburn destroy karaoke.

If they are such hacks at what they do, then why are the comedy shows so popular? You just admitted you got annoyed when asked to vacate the venue for the next show [emoji848]

This is exactly what they did on Glory when we sailed. Kicked everyone out and formed a huge line. I think maybe it was just not that busy on your sailing. But on ours, it was a disaster.

We had a full sailing. The lounge became packed with people standing in the back. It was about 3 weeks ago... maybe a new procdure(?)

If they are such hacks at what they do, then why are the comedy shows so popular? You just admitted you got annoyed when asked to vacate the venue for the next show [emoji848]

Well Sparky, we’re somewhat of a captive audience and so are a few thousand fellow cruisers. That might explain. Leaving the ship to go to an alternative entertainment venue on a sea day would involve a life boat.

If you’re fishing for an argument based on my opinion I posted then stop wasting time. Curling is on anyway.

Well Sparky, we’re somewhat of a captive audience and so are a few thousand fellow cruisers. That might explain. Leaving the ship to go to an alternative entertainment venue on a sea day would involve a life boat.

If you’re fishing for an argument based on my opinion I posted then stop wasting time. Curling is on anyway.

Its Knights, not Sparky (no reason for childish attempts to insult, I would hope you are better than that, but I could be wrong) There is about 20 different entertainment options going on a cruise ship at any one time. I wasn’t looking for an argument. You were the one saying they weren’t up to your standards. If you don’t like to comedy shows, why would you continue to attend. That doesn’t make much sense

Back in the day the comedy shows were held in the main theater. I agree at times it is too crowded to get a seat. Due to cutbacks, the entertainment options are limited and this of course makes the comedy show more popular on any given night. If it was not a hassle getting a decent seat I would bet the comedy shows would be even more popular. Simple fix, go back to having the shows in the main theater.

They need to move comedians to larger venue, issue tickets but make shows longer by including both comedians under one ticket, or ??? not sure

Most aggravating experience we had was on the Dream 3 years ago. We were lined up waiting for the next comedy show to start. The line went past the bar that was adjacent to the comedy club and one of the assistant cruise directors decided it was a good idea to have a break in the line so people could get in and out of the bar and then he walked off. Everyone coming to join the line would hop at the end of of the break in the line instead of going clear to the end of the line. When the passengers that were stuck at the ends of the line had to tell people that they were breaking in line. Most of them would go into the bar instead when they saw how long the line was as there was another door in the bar that they could use to bypass the line.

That may have been the only time that happened as the staff member that orchestrated the broken line never seemed to know what was going on when we encountered him. My brother had FTTF and needed to take care of something at guest services. This same staff member snapped at him to get in the regular line. Next time my brother needed guest services the long wasn't long so he got in the regular line and got chastised by guest services people for not using the priority line.

Did it ruin our vacation? No, but surprised at how inept this guy was. Our interactions with the entertainment staff up to and since then had always been positive.

We were on the Breeze Jan. 14th - 21st and we did your time dining at 6:00 PM, then caught the early show in the Ovation Theatre, and finally the R rated show in Punchliner 4 of the 7 nights we were onboard. Had to stand in line (up to 30 minutes) a couple times but it just was never a problem getting decent seats for the four of us. I would vote to leave it alone!

Have the comedy show in the main auditorium. Post security outside of auditorium to check ID's for age. Simple solution

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app

Yesssssssss! It’s obviously a popular event.

Someone else mentioned there are other activities happening on the ship, to see one of those. No, thanks. I enjoy these shows. This is what I want to see.

We just get there early. Get a drink and relax. We want a relax somewhere anyways, why not there. Better bar service then too since no one is there yet.

Except on the Glory, Freedom, Magic, Liberty and Triumph (x6) they didn’t open the doors early.

In the days of sailing Fantasy class ships the main theatre was the perfect venue.

As I stated before, the talent has declined as well, so we’re done trying to see this.

Except on the Glory, Freedom, Magic, Liberty and Triumph (x6) they didn’t open the doors early.

In the days of sailing Fantasy class ships the main theatre was the perfect venue.

As I stated before, the talent has declined as well, so we’re done trying to see this.

On the Fantasy class ships, such as the Elation, Punchliners is not held in the main theatre. Its held in one of the smaller venues like the Cole Porter. The Cole Porter is always open unless there is some sort of private function. You could show up 2 hrs early, sit down, have some drinks and wait for the show if you wanted. Normally the acts are very funny and entertaining. Something to be said for those "older and smaller" ships, huh Sparky ;p