Princess Cays snorkeling

crisp1

I asked this on the Bahamas Board with no answers. The map shows a beach area ( Little Bay ) located to the right after getting off and over the bridge that's noted as a snorkeling area- is this true- can one snorkel here, or is it just really a calm swimming area

thanks

I asked this on the Bahamas Board with no answers. The map shows a beach area ( Little Bay ) located to the right after getting off and over the bridge that's noted as a snorkeling area- is this true- can one snorkel here, or is it just really a calm swimming area

thanks

as you're approaching by tender, you will see a red pavilion on the far left. This is where the best snorkeling is.

as you're approaching by tender, you will see a red pavilion on the far left. This is where the best snorkeling is.

I don't understand- to the left is the sailboat and watersport Beach, Swimming Area and North Beach or on the other side is the Mangroves

When you first get to the beach area, it is just a calm swimming area. But, if you go for snorkeling, you have to wade through some really rocky areas just to the left of the swimming beach to see fish. You can always just take water socks and see a lot of fish without any snorkel gear. I think if you go beyond that, you can snorkel where it is a bit deeper. But you will want some protection for your feet for going in and coming back out. Haven't done this in quite some time, but there used to be a little snorkel boat that went out for people that weren't interested in going through the rocky area to get out into the deeper waters.

When you first get to the beach area, it is just a calm swimming area. But, if you go for snorkeling, you have to wade through some really rocky areas just to the left of the swimming beach to see fish. You can always just take water socks and see a lot of fish without any snorkel gear. I think if you go beyond that, you can snorkel where it is a bit deeper. But you will want some protection for your feet for going in and coming back out. Haven't done this in quite some time, but there used to be a little snorkel boat that went out for people that weren't interested in going through the rocky area to get out into the deeper waters.

Taking the snorkel boat offered is the easiest way! ;)

I like the marked google-map!

I am thinking maybe get the water at the little horseshoe shaped inlet, just North of the pavilion, where the snorkeling area is marked. and heading back down to/around the pavilion.

I think I saw a video of somebody who did this, and it was some halfway decent snorkeling.

Would this be a good approach... Wondering what the currents and water conditions usually are.

• 3 years later...

I'm sort of dragging up an old topic but we might be on a cruise that stops here next year! Do they make you wear a life jacket if you snorkel from the boat? And, if you choose not to take the boat can one snorkel to the area(s) the boat goes to? (Asking on behalf of a very strong swimmer)

As far as I know every snorkel excursion offered by cruise lines requires the wearing of a flotation vest. Usually these are manually inflated.

There is snorkeling from the beach. If memory serves it's about 20' out.

I only went to Princess Cays once and brought my snorkeling gear, went in from the beach, was kind of disappointed with the area. Sorry, just my opinion. I have had awesome snorkeling experiences in Bonaire, Aruba, Grand Cayman, Barbados, St Lucia...

Snorkeling at Princess Cays is in the area at the end of the pier half way up the beach.  It's walk in from the beach area not off a boat. There was a life guard at the end of the pier. People were wearing life vests. Over the years we have been on a number of organized excursions both private booked as well as Princess excursions. All required life vests.   

19 minutes ago, skynight said:

Snorkeling at Princess Cays is in the area at the end of the pier half way up the beach.  It's walk in from the beach area not off a boat. There was a life guard at the end of the pier. People were wearing life vests. Over the years we have been on a number of organized excursions both private booked as well as Princess excursions. All required life vests.   

right....if you rent gear from Princess at the beach, you are given a life vest. If you bring your own gear, you are not required to wear a life vest. There are lots of fish in the area mentioned above by skynight....we have had many excellent times in that area. It certainly isn't as good at Bonaire, but is still very good, particularly since it is beach access.

We have our own snorkel gear and we rented one of their bungalows.  It was a great place to store your personnel items and just a walk to the beach , which is a little rocky,  where we snorkeled all morning, had lunch at the bungalow, relaxed in one of the beach chairs that afternoon, and returned to the ship around 3pm. It was a Great beach day.