Help Us Pick the Best First Cruise!

SoKatriotic

Hello!

My boyfriend and I are in the process of planning our first cruise but we're hoping to get a little more information before we book. We are planning to cruise on Anthem of the Seas in late December or early January.

Right now we have it narrowed down to two options which cost the same - an 8-night cruise to the Bahamas over New Year's Eve or a 12-night cruise to the southern Caribbean in early to mid-January.

Is a holiday cruise a little too busy and intense for first-timers? Is the 12-night cruise too long for a first cruise? What are your thoughts? Any information is appreciated!

-Katie

Welcome to Cruise Critic, SoKatriotic.

You've already made some significant decisions on your cruise, picked the cruise line, the ship and narrowed it down to two dates. Your almost done with the first big step.

CC has individual boards for most of the cruise lines. You should get good replies from others who have sailed this ship and/or those dates and/or the itineraries on the RCI board here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

Enjoy your cruise

If the relative value between the two is the same I would always go for the longer one. Plus the Southern Caribbean is so much better than the Bahamas - without comparison. I realize as a first cruise the 12-night is a long cruise, but my guess is - especially on that ship - that you will love it and be glad in the long run you did the longer itinerary. IMO, without a doubt go for the l2-night!

Enjoy your first cruise - it very likely will not be your last.

I would suggest the longer cruise. It's a couple of days cruising to get far enough south to enjoy the weather. And one loses a couple of days heading back. So the 12 night cruise spends about a week in short-sleeve weather. One can really only count on four nicely warm days with an eight night out of NY in Dec/Jan.

The December cruise will be “children intensive”. The January cruise will have less children aboard for two reasons. One reason is that the kids are off school over the Christmas holidays and, and the second reason is that families with children tend not to take longer than 7 day cruises. That may or may not make a difference for you.

The 12 night cruise in January has about 5.75 days at sea (does not arrive in San Juan until 3pm!) So I would not recommend it for a first cruise unless you have researched the activities on board the Anthem OTS and are sure that you are just as interested in the ship as you are in the island ports.

Do you know if you get seasick? The Atlantic in December and January can be quite the wild ride. You really might be much better off to choose a cruise from Miami or Ft. Lauderdale or Puerto Rico that time of year. As to 12 nights - that is a good length to find out how much you like cruising. Our first cruise was 13 nights and it seemed to go by way too fast! Be sure to go on your cruise prepared with anti-seasickness medication. We generally use Bonine and then carry Trans Derm scops by prescription from the doctor just in case we encounter high seas. However, if you are on a cruise from Miami or Ft. Lauderdale or Puerto Rico to the Caribbean you are much less likely to encounter high seas that time of year. In fact, I'd recommend you consider doing a Southern Caribbean cruise as the weather will be considerably warmer south of Puerto Rico that time of year. We've done many cruises in those months and it can be cool and rainy north of Puerto Rico which might be a downer for your first cruise.

While a relatively shorter (by 3 days) cruise might be better for testing out cruising for a first timer, this 8 nighter has a few strikes against it. As mentioned before, being a holiday cruise it will be packed full. And there will be a lot of families, meaning also a lot of kids. It also won't be that warm, since you're staying in the Atlantic and not really getting into the Caribbean at all,. And then there's the Ports. YMMV, but to me the Bahamas are just about the most boring ports on offer.

The Southern cruise OTOH, should have very few kids on board (comparatively ), should be considerably warmer most days, and has some interesting ports with a lot of excursion options. Plus you'll have more sea days for relaxing and getting to know the ship and what it has to offer.