Don't go to specialty restaurants

tommyj4

We prefer the specialty restaurants because the MDR is loud, the My Time Dining tables are too close together, and it takes too long. Also, we think the food quality isn't very good and I don't usually care for anything on the menu. As someone else said, the specialty are a more intimate and personalized experience and that's what we're looking for.

I'm not sure I agree with you. I've always had a good meal in the MDR. As a matter of fact, the rack of lamb in the Anthem dining room was as good or better than the ones at Jamie's. Food quality is very subjective.

On our Oasis cruise last month, it was the first time in 30 cruises that we did not step foot in the MDR. And in those 30 cruises, we have only eaten dinner at the buffet one night.

We did the 4-night dining package, and were lucky enough to be in a GS so we ate in CK the other three nights. For $100pp, the four night package was worth it. There were three things I noticed the most: 1) I did not feel rushed. I personally have no desire to go to the MDR and run right back out in 45 minutes. Not my idea of a sit-down meal. 2) Less noise, more room 3) Everything arrived HOT, imagine.

I am not comparing the specialty restaurants to a true 5-star restaurant. The only 5-star restaurant I have been too costs three times as much per person for one meal than the dining package costs for 4. Not a valid comparison.

Choice is good. If the Windjammer is for you -- excellent. The MDR -- great. Specialty restaurants --- wonderful.

Focus more on what you like -- and less on what you think others should like.

mac_tlc

These days after 15 years of cruising on RCL, I find myself hitting up the buffet more times than the MDR for dinner. Most recently I have found what a great experience the MDR is for breakfast. I love the french toast and being served.

Amen to that. We almost always eat breakfast (lunch too) in the MDR instead of having to wander around in the buffet trying to put a meal together - it used to be easier to manage with trays, but now it takes at least 3 trips between table and buffet to get your main, a bowl of fruit or cereal, and a beverage. And the MDR at breakfast and lunch is much more quiet than in the evening when everyone seems to shout their conversations.

We prefer the specialty restaurants because the MDR is loud, the My Time Dining tables are too close together, and it takes too long. Also, we think the food quality isn't very good and I don't usually care for anything on the menu. As someone else said, the specialty are a more intimate and personalized experience and that's what we're looking for.

Some of the pay restaurants suffer from tables too bunched together and crazy loud noice. The Italian restaurants on oasis class (Giovanni’s, Jamie’s, etc) are so loud we left before eating. And our table was right next to others just like the MDR. We are going soon again and my wife has zero interest in chops or Giovanni’s for that reason. I guess it is such a small space and always packed it seems. At least the MDR is huge and can absorb more sound.

We like 150 Central Park because it is peaceful and doesnt feel crowded.

The more people that go to these restaurants the more expensive they become. If this trend continues I can see having to pay to go to the MDR and the only included food on your cruise will be in the buffet. I have been to 5 star restaurants and the service and the food in the specialty restaurants are anything but.

The market will certainly drive these changes, that's for sure.

I'm not a big fan of the MDR. The last few cruises we've been on, we've only dined in the specialty restaurants. Some people prefer those, some people like the included food from the MDR and the WindJammer. To each, their own.

-germ

On our Oasis cruise last month, it was the first time in 30 cruises that we did not step foot in the MDR. And in those 30 cruises, we have only eaten dinner at the buffet one night.

We did the 4-night dining package, and were lucky enough to be in a GS so we ate in CK the other three nights. For $100pp, the four night package was worth it. There were three things I noticed the most: 1) I did not feel rushed. I personally have no desire to go to the MDR and run right back out in 45 minutes. Not my idea of a sit-down meal. 2) Less noise, more room 3) Everything arrived HOT, imagine.

I am not comparing the specialty restaurants to a true 5-star restaurant. The only 5-star restaurant I have been too costs three times as much per person for one meal than the dining package costs for 4. Not a valid comparison.

Choice is good. If the Windjammer is for you -- excellent. The MDR -- great. Specialty restaurants --- wonderful.

Focus more on what you like -- and less on what you think others should like.

mac_tlc

I have never ever felt rushed with traditional dining. Never!

You obviously had MTD where they do want you out as soon as possible.

I agree with you Tommyj4. I started a thread a couple of years ago i. Which I said that I simply didn’t understand why anyone would want to pay for Specialty Restaurants on board. Someone pointed out to me that for many Americans who live in rural areas, good restaurants are not readily available, so they enjoy trying different cuisine. Coming from the UK where it’s rarely difficult to find somewhere good to eat, that shut me up. It just hadn’t occured to me.

I’m quite certain this isn’t why they have specialty restaurants. Big city folks probably would be the target customer imo. They would be more likely to be foodies with more expensive tastes and thus preferences.

And by the way, I love the UK and have been many times, but the UK isn’t exactly known as a place to travel for excellent food. Granted Maybe this UK reputation isn’t deserved. With that said I think most cruisers have an abundance of options near their home that are better than most specialty restaurants on the ship. Even small to medium size cities in the US have some very fine dining options.

I have had mixed experiences but I believe in freedom and choice. Not for me to advise other people what they should do.

As for myself, I will go to a speciality restaurant if it appeals and price would be a factor in making that choice.

I agree with you 100%

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have never ever felt rushed with traditional dining. Never!

You obviously had MTD where they do want you out as soon as possible.

Actually, have never done MTD. I prefer knowing who/what/when. With the menu changes, the narrowing of the time between early & late dining, and a discussion I had with the asst hotel director on Oasis last month, the move is towards quicker service. Mainly brought about by guests desires -- not mine, but many.

mac_tlc

Specialty dining restaurants on cruise ships are big money-makers for the cruise lines. With all the new ships coming on line and the retrofits to existing ships, there’s going to be more and more of them.

Anyone that’s cruised for more than 10 years probably remembers that the offerings in the main dining room were fairly different than they are today. There’s been a noticeable reduction of menu options and premium items like steaks, lobster and fancy desserts are but a distant memory. Today, if you want a really good steak, or lobster you’ll need pay for a specialty dining experience. Or, you can opt to pay for a “premium” selection in the main dining room for an upcharge.

Besides the changing main dining menus, the general ambiance has also changed. What used to seem like fine dining, now more reflects a banquet style approach, where you have fewer options in a less formal environment. The specialty restaurants offer more options, for an additional cost. But, is it worth it?

We have occasionally enjoyed going to a specialty restaurant or two during a cruise to celebrate a special occasion or because we wanted a more intimate, leisurely dining experience. Sometimes, it was worth the additional expense, other times it wasn’t. The bottom line is that it’s a choice. And only you can decide whether it’s worth it or not.

The more people that go to these restaurants the more expensive they become. If this trend continues I can see having to pay to go to the MDR and the only included food on your cruise will be in the buffet. I have been to 5 star restaurants and the service and the food in the specialty restaurants are anything but.

If you want better food (ie. Coastal Kitchen), more room between tables (ie. more real estate like in specialty restaurants, compare this to an interior cabin and Junior Suite), more servers per cruiser for better service (like in Specialty and Coastal Kitchen vs. MDR) and many other factors you need to pay more money.... like everything else in life: Chev vs. Mercedes, econoimy flight vs. 1st class, I can go on and on,

Are you, and everyone else on these boards, willing to pay more money to have a better vacation? Or do you wish to continue complaining about how crappy everything is about cruising now as well as continue to gloat about how cheap your cruise fare was compared to an all-inclusive or other vacation? So many threads like this lately, I just don't understand it.

why pick just one? When my 15 year old daughter and wife get ready, my 13 year old son and I hit the WJ - have a little "pre-dinner" dinner. And then we have dinner. And that's why, despite working out every day, I gain weight every, single cruise!

The MDR is almost like being at a NASCAR race. The servers speed by and you can't hear anyone at your table speaking to you with the dished clanging. No thanks. Unfortunately not all Royal ships have Specialty restaurants for us to enjoy a quiet, peaceful meal. We however, will survive and enjoy our cruises.

I have been on 8-9 cruises in past 2 years, (most being Rccl, and all the other mainstream lines), never did I feel rushed in the MDR, and never was it so loud we couldn't hear our table mates. We only eat with people we travel with or else a 2-top.

And to the poster who wants to know the "when, who, what", we do that with no problem. If we travel by ourselves, we do traditional dinning, or if on the other lines that don't have that, we make a reservation and if we like our area and server on the first night, we ask to eat in his area in the future and that has always worked.

Too each their own.

MDR is still very good. Specialty restaurants are excellent. Specalty restaurants are never going away so I feel like you're wasting your breath.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

His breath to waste ;) But I wish they would strike a balance. I'm up for specialty dining once a cruise, or twice if I want to totally skip formal night on a 7 day or longer cruise.

And by the way, I love the UK and have been many times, but the UK isn’t exactly known as a place to travel for excellent food. Granted Maybe this UK reputation isn’t deserved. With that said I think most cruisers have an abundance of options near their home that are better than most specialty restaurants on the ship. Even small to medium size cities in the US have some very fine dining options.
I hear you, that reputation comes from ‘traditional British food’. Same with American traditional food I guess. Times move on of course and in the UK, you can get the best of most cuisines without travelling too far. I have had some wonderful meals in some wonderful restaurants in America. In contrast, France has a reputation for fabulous food, due, I think, to their traditional cheeses and sauces, but unless you are seeking meat with blood dripping from it, with a little potato, you often have to struggle to find a great place to eat there! My comment was that an American on the thread I mentioned said that people from some rural areas in the US don’t have a wide range of restaurants within a reasonable distance, so like to experiment when away and tend to use the specialty restaurants. If that is the case, it makes sense.

R. I like ordering a drink and getting it served within a few minutes rather than getting it closer to the end of the meal.

Maybe that explains why the bar service has gotten so bad in the MDRs recently. They are intentionally driving the herd to premium dining

I love these types of threads, shows the diversity of people! We always eat in the MDR, we don't feel the need to pay extra for the specialty dining. I have never been rushed, always have great service and the food is decent enough. I have never had an issue sending back something I don't like and get what I do like. They always are willing to work with my needs.

My husband loves Sorrentos pizza too! Funny how some hate it and others love it!

I love these types of threads, shows the diversity of people! We always eat in the MDR, we don't feel the need to pay extra for the specialty dining. I have never been rushed, always have great service and the food is decent enough. I have never had an issue sending back something I don't like and get what I do like. They always are willing to work with my needs.

My husband loves Sorrentos pizza too! Funny how some hate it and others love it!

I agree, mostly. I had bad service on Jewel in 2014. Food hit and miss over the past 12 years. I don't feel the need to do specialty dining, but when we cruise on our anniversary and a Chops is available, we do so. That too has been hit and miss. Sorrentos? I wish they all would add the personal pizza option like they do on Oasis class. While Sorrento's will never satisfy the pizza snobs, it frequently is the best pizza in 100 miles! ;) On the ships without the MYO, I am sure to grab a fresh hot slice and let someone else grab the one that has been there an hour.

Agree specialty restaurants are not 5 Star, but they are better than other dinning options on the ship, we eat most of our meals in specialty , last cruise chops was very good and Izumi was excellent, did not care for Giovanni’s which used to be my favorite

I'm not sure I agree with you. I've always had a good meal in the MDR. As a matter of fact, the rack of lamb in the Anthem dining room was as good or better than the ones at Jamie's. Food quality is very subjective.

I wouldn't necessarily expect anyone to agree with me. Yes, food is very subjective. But again, it's the overall experience as well for us.

Some of the pay restaurants suffer from tables too bunched together and crazy loud noice. The Italian restaurants on oasis class (Giovanni’s, Jamie’s, etc) are so loud we left before eating. And our table was right next to others just like the MDR. We are going soon again and my wife has zero interest in chops or Giovanni’s for that reason. I guess it is such a small space and always packed it seems. At least the MDR is huge and can absorb more sound.

We like 150 Central Park because it is peaceful and doesnt feel crowded.

We loved 150 as well. Our tables in Chops and Giovanni's on Oasis were out of the way,so we didn't experience that. But I don't disagree with you. Never been on a ship with Jamie's.

More variety too.:)

Hmmm.. this was not a case on any of our Royal cruises.

We see a huge difference between variety and quality of food between buffets and MDR. Especially for a dinner. ( escargot , other seafood choices which buffet doesn’t have)

We actually think MDR food is very good lately and don’t feel the need for additional restaurants.