GTY Assigned: Switching Cabins if Only GTY being Sold Currently

TFree

We recently booked a cruise on the Constellation through a travel agent, and chose an S1 Guarantee rate (at the time, no option was available to choose a cabin, all one could choose in the Sky Suite Category was an S2 Guarantee or an S1 Guarantee).

Today I noticed that our cabin has been assigned. I had been told by this agent, and I have read on these boards, that once your cabin has been assigned, you can request a switch of cabin in the same category. I can see at least 6 or 8 S1 cabins I would rather have, but I can't tell if they are available because Celebrity is still only selling Sky Suite Guarantees. The TA tells me that it is not possible to request a change until such time as they start offering individual cabins again (if they do), because it is impossible to know what is available.

This sort of makes sense to me, but on the other hand other cabins may or may not be available, even though we cannot see which ones from the outside. So in my mind it was at least possible that one could request a switch by just listing cabins and seeing if Celebrity can confirm that any are available.

I am hoping that a more experienced cruiser might know the answer to this.

Thank you.

Tom & Judy

We recently booked a cruise on the Constellation through a travel agent, and chose an S1 Guarantee rate (at the time, no option was available to choose a cabin, all one could choose in the Sky Suite Category was an S2 Guarantee or an S1 Guarantee).

Today I noticed that our cabin has been assigned. I had been told by this agent, and I have read on these boards, that once your cabin has been assigned, you can request a switch of cabin in the same category. I can see at least 6 or 8 S1 cabins I would rather have, but I can't tell if they are available because Celebrity is still only selling Sky Suite Guarantees. The TA tells me that it is not possible to request a change until such time as they start offering individual cabins again (if they do), because it is impossible to know what is available.

This sort of makes sense to me, but on the other hand other cabins may or may not be available, even though we cannot see which ones from the outside. So in my mind it was at least possible that one could request a switch by just listing cabins and seeing if Celebrity can confirm that any are available.

I am hoping that a more experienced cruiser might know the answer to this.

Thank you.

Tom & Judy

I respectfully disagree with your TA.

For example: In January, two couples having booked an OV GTY cabin were assigned to concierge class cabins. They requested to be moved to adjacent concierge class cabins and were accommodated with no problem at all. This was just prior to sailing and there were three Concierge cabins but no GTY categories available.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I respectfully disagree with your TA.

For example: In January, two couples having booked an OV GTY cabin were assigned to concierge class cabins. They requested to be moved to adjacent concierge class cabins and were accommodated with no problem at all. This was just prior to sailing and there were three Concierge cabins but no GTY categories available.

Mr. I: That is exactly why I asked, because I wanted to see what others think. But bear this in mind: if there were other S1 cabins currently available to select based on what I can see, or what the TA can see. This is because X is still only selling GTY Sky Suites. My point is: even though we can't tell from the outside which cabins are available (if any), Celebrity can see which cabins have actually been assigned and which have not. So I was hoping that the TA could go to Celebrity with a list of 6 cabins to see if any are unassigned at the moment. But he says that can't be done. I think my situation is the opposite of what you describe; in your example, individual cabins were shown as available, but GTY cabins were not. In my case, no individual cabins are shown as available, you can only reserve a GTY.

Tom & Judy

They will only switch within the same category IF there are un-allocated rooms currently being offered for booking that openly display in inventory. As they are currently ONLY offering GTY S1, which is what you were assigned, no change is possible. Watch the inventory. If and when S1 become available for booking as an assigned room # you could request a change, if one of the then available room #s is preferable to you.

I scanned the seas and there are no S1 cabins available. Therefore it would be hard to move you to another cabin.

Perhaps Celebrity have some S1 cabins that they are holding back, but I do not think you can assume that they are holding some back. Or perhaps they are assuming that some people will cancel between now the cruis date. Or perhaps Celebrity might offer an upgrade to someone in a S1 to a higher suite category.

I suggest to keep checking for a S1 to become available.

Good luck.

I scanned the seas and there are no S1 cabins available. Therefore it would be hard to move you to another cabin.

Perhaps Celebrity have some S1 cabins that they are holding back, but I do not think you can assume that they are holding some back. Or perhaps they are assuming that some people will cancel between now the cruis date. Or perhaps Celebrity might offer an upgrade to someone in a S1 to a higher suite category.

I suggest to keep checking for a S1 to become available.

Good luck.

Well, that is what I will have to do - just keep watching to see if they ever offer individual S1 cabins or continue to show only GTY cabins available. I gather that there is no way to know if all cabins have truly been assigned at the moment (and thus really are unavailable) or if they are just assigning cabins as they go, and thus there really are some "available" but

not visible to the public or to TAs.

Tom & Judy

Well, that is what I will have to do - just keep watching to see if they ever offer individual S1 cabins or continue to show only GTY cabins available. I gather that there is no way to know if all cabins have truly been assigned at the moment (and thus really are unavailable) or if they are just assigning cabins as they go, and thus there really are some "available" but

not visible to the public or to TAs.

Tom & Judy

Tom & Judy,

You are correct there is no way to know for sure. IMO it is very unlikely that Celebrity has unassigned S1 cabins. If they did then, they would likely be offering them at a higher price. Why wouldn’t they? As long as Celebrity keeps offering fully refundable deposit there will always be cancellations before final payments. I notice this when I watch the openings on my booked cruises.

I suspect you would feel better is you believed that they did not have open cabins. I suggest you believe and keep checking for openings. Then you can consider yourself lucky when a better cabin opens up.

Best of luck and enjoy your cruise.

P.S. it looks Celebrity is only offering a Sky Suite GTY now.

Edited by jagoffee

How about calling Celebrity with your list of cabins and see if they are willing to sell a specific cabin for a new booking. If they say they only have S1 guarantees, then you know.

It's hard to tell, maybe impossible, what cabins are available. I just made a reservation on a different line after checking to see cabins in the category I desired. There were six of them showing. When I called my agent, she said there are nine available. I chose a cabin from one of the three I didn't even know existed five minutes before.

On another occasion I booked a guarantee because no cabins were showing as available but many were available in the next highest category. I felt confident I would be assigned an upgrade at a great cost saving. Not so. The next day my cabin came through in the category I paid for which was perfectly fine with be, just a tad disappointing. These cruise companies know what they're doing alright :)

• 2 weeks later...

When I had this situation I had to wait 5 weeks until about 1 week before sailing to get an assignment. I'm sure they offered either by upsell or other means for someone who paid a higher amount for their S1 one of the available CS. I can't really complain about this as I got a decent price

Hi, Any chance you want to tell us which sailing you booked for Constellation. You never know who has access to what websites.

Sure. We are on the France Italy Spain itinerary, October 19-30, 2018 on the Constellation. To recap, we bought a S1 Guaranty because they were only offering Guaranties at the time in Sky Suites. We were assigned to a suite several weeks later, and my original question was whether I could request to be switched to a different S1, if available. But since all suites are now sold out, I can't see that happening at least until closer to the cruise, if people start to cancel in advance of the cancellation deadline.

Tom & Judy

Some TA don't know that you can switch within the same category. Mine said she wasn't sure and would ask. I asked for a stateroom midship instead of the forward one that was assigned.

Once my GTY was assigned I checked online by pretending to book another cruise exactly the same until I got to the part where I could take the room they recommended, a GTY room or select your own stateroom (which is what I picked). Then it showed all available Oceanview rooms and I had to find the ones that were in the correct category.