Who pulls the kids out of school to cruise?

4olivers

Timing of sports.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I know right.

I'm in a rather bizarre position today as there is a snow day at my school (UK has the 'beast from the east' Russian storm).

The kiddies and the teachers are united with Snow Day bliss. :)

I'm sure there is nothing I can add but I will say I worked in a school for 8 years (aide) We had a reading program that was a beast. If one child was gone that set the whole group back and then when the "supervisor" from another state came there would be hell raised bc the teacher was behind etc.

That being said. I would take my kids out in a heart beat. The school can take care of my childs "school education" I will take care of my child. The whole child. And if I want my child to see or do something I will do it. And that is exactly why I take my children on cruises. Because I want my kids to see that people are people, Every country has good and bad. I always thought it was kind of hard to want to send a missile to someplace or someone you know the name of.

I'm sure there is nothing I can add but I will say I worked in a school for 8 years (aide) We had a reading program that was a beast. If one child was gone that set the whole group back and then when the "supervisor" from another state came there would be hell raised bc the teacher was behind etc.

That being said. I would take my kids out in a heart beat. The school can take care of my childs "school education" I will take care of my child. The whole child. And if I want my child to see or do something I will do it. And that is exactly why I take my children on cruises. Because I want my kids to see that people are people, Every country has good and bad. I always thought it was kind of hard to want to send a missile to someplace or someone you know the name of.

So basically, I know better than most about the problems it causes for a lot of other people but I'm going to do it anyway because I want what I want. OK, then.

But hey, World Peace, or something.

For those parents who claim they have the district's blessing to take their kids out of school for a family vacation, please be aware that might not be the truth.

As a teacher, we were told that it was the district's official position to bow to this request, for teachers to NOT give their opinion, and to accommodate requests for schoolwork to take on vacation. Also, be aware that teachers often don't know for sure what they will teach two weeks from today. Lesson plans aren't set in stone nor are all the materials ready.

When we took our children out of school ( four times-elementary school) we really did not consult the teacher or the school board. We did get extra make up work for our children.

We really were not interested in the opinions of the teachers or the board. We knew our children, we knew what work had to be completed. At the end of the day our reason for pulling them was really no one else's business.

Pulling them did not seem to hurt their education or their aptitude for post graduate work in later years.

. We did get extra make up work for our children.

We really were not interested in the opinions of the teachers or the board. We knew our children, we knew what work had to be completed. At the end of the day our reason for pulling them was really no one else's business.

Pulling them did not seem to hurt their education or their aptitude for post graduate work in later years.

Perfect example of the unsavoury attitudes to others/the education system that have a knock on effect as mentioned in my 103 post in this thread.

I was never pulled out and did post-grad (as did my twin) not sure what the last point was about.

When we took our children out of school ( four times-elementary school) we really did not consult the teacher or the school board. We did get extra make up work for our children.

I fully agree with this. They are your children and you know them better than anyone else. Why would anyone let someone else determine their decisions?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not unsavoury at all. The point is that it is our decision. If we felt unsure about it we would have spoken to the teachers. But we did not.

The point about post graduate work....it had zero effect on them-short or long term. If anything travel broadens them more than elementary school where, in our experience, the classes are designed for the lowest common denominator.

We have a number of educators in our immediate family. They all concur.

Not unsavoury at all. The point is that it is our decision. If we felt unsure about it we would have spoken to the teachers. But we did not.

The point about post graduate work....it had zero effect on them-short or long term. If anything travel broadens them more than elementary school where, in our experience, the classes are designed for the lowest common denominator.

We have a number of educators in our immediate family. They all concur.

Someone stealing is also their decision. Doesn't mean it's the right one and it won't affect others. I am not sure where you are going with that.

As to your elementary school point it tells me all I need to know about your views on education when according to one of your other posts you took them to Disney which is hardly an educational and cultural haven. Primary/Elementary school is important.

I also find it hard to believe US schools teach to a lower expectation when western education has been in the spotlight for so long now. Maybe its one of those times when a classroom reality is different to a parent view who knows?

I will leave this thread with this:

A large majority of teachers disagree with your actions (and the ones that say its fine will probably say different behind your back) as well as other families and children. If selfishness presides of respect for others and knowledge then theres not a lot us educators can do...except work our bottoms off then enjoy (most of) our 12 weeks holiday. :cool:

Well, I’m a parent, I’ve taken my kids out of school to WDW, calling it educational is a bit of a stretch, even Epcot.

Did you visit the countries? Did you see the history of communication in Spaceship Earth? Did you participate in any of the STEM activities in Innovations? How about the safety lessons in Innovations? How about the environmental lessons in the Living Seas or Living with the Land? Lots of education if you understand what Epcot is all about.

I fully agree with this. They are your children and you know them better than anyone else. Why would anyone let someone else determine their decisions?

Would you say that about their physical health? Hopefully not -- hopefully you would respect the views of their pediatrician, someone with extensive training in the subject at hand.

But teachers get little respect, despite their training. I speak as the daughter of an elementary school teacher and grand-daughter of a public school librarian. I can't tell you how many times angry parents came to my mother to complain about the bad grades their offspring were given, acting surprised because their children were "so smart" and "doing so well" -- how could this possibly happen?

Many times parents are just not fully aware of what is going on in the classroom, despite what they think....

Would you say that about their physical health? Hopefully not -- hopefully you would respect the views of their pediatrician, someone with extensive training in the subject....

Actually I have questioned several diagnoses of both my daughter and myself and gotten second opinions. On at least 2 occasions they had recommended surgery that turned out not to be required.

Actually I have questioned several diagnoses of both my daughter and myself and gotten second opinions. On at least 2 occasions they had recommended surgery that turned out not to be required.

With all due respect, asking questions and seeking the opinion of another (qualified) professional is not the same thing as making a unilateral decision about "what's right".

So basically, I know better than most about the problems it causes for a lot of other people but I'm going to do it anyway because I want what I want. OK, then.

But hey, World Peace, or something.

yes something like that.

A visit to Disney certainly can be educational. Especially when you combine it with a visit to Sea World or the San Diego Zoo as was our habit.. For us it meant a trip to another country and another climate.

I had a grade one teacher like that many years ago. I still remember her-for all the wrong reasons.