Who pulls the kids out of school to cruise?

4olivers

Like most things people will have a wide range of views on this.

In our case we only did it when our child was very young.

Again each person will have their own idea and I am not even sure if one answer would apply to all children or all circumstances even in the same family.

Keith

A couple of questions about the timing for your consideration:

When does the school year end?

Is the 16 year old in AP classes?

Does your state have mandatory state testing?

If your school year ends at the end of May, then the teachers are in full up "OMG, how an I going to cover all this before exams?" mode and they will be covering a lot of material quickly that may possibly be on a final exam at the end of the month.

AP exams are national - they are given on the same day across the country during the first two weeks of May and while make-ups are available, it does take paperwork to arrange them and it will not be the same exam taken by the students on the assigned day. Most AP teachers will be in high review mode during that time; missing that review could have an impact on the result.

If your state has mandatory state testing, this can be impacted as well. These are usually easier to make-up than AP tests, but still will be a hassle. These are usually done in April/May, depending on when your school year ends.If your school year ends in mid-late June, there probably will not be too much impact.

As you can probably tell, I am a teacher and am taking that perspective. What may seem to you as a small inconvenience is just one more drip in the Chinese water torture that is called teaching - either creating special assignments to accommodate the trip, making up the work after the fact. Yes, it is just one child, but that gets multiplied for others who are out for a myriad of reasons. Please consider that when you approach the teachers with this.

If your school year ends at the end of May, then the teachers are in full up "OMG, how an I going to cover all this before exams?" mode and they will be covering a lot of material quickly that may possibly be on a final exam at the end of the month.

AP exams are national - they are given on the same day across the country during the first two weeks of May and while make-ups are available, it does take paperwork to arrange them and it will not be the same exam taken by the students on the assigned day. Most AP teachers will be in high review mode during that time; missing that review could have an impact on the result.

If your state has mandatory state testing, this can be impacted as well. These are usually easier to make-up than AP tests, but still will be a hassle. These are usually done in April/May, depending on when your school year ends.If your school year ends in mid-late June, there probably will not be too much impact.

As you can probably tell, I am a teacher and am taking that perspective. What may seem to you as a small inconvenience is just one more drip in the Chinese water torture that is called teaching - either creating special assignments to accommodate the trip, making up the work after the fact. Yes, it is just one child, but that gets multiplied for others who are out for a myriad of reasons. Please consider that when you approach the teachers with this.

Even though I teach in a different country I completely agree with your sentiments. :)

Also taking away a teacher's time for one child can have a knock on effect with the others. I may not have kids but as an educational professional I have taught hundreds and worked with their families from 40+ different countries around the world.

Sometimes the world isn't just about your family and you its about what happens to everyone else. When a teacher says that's cool with you taking them out it is usually because we don't want any hassle from you or anyone higher up...we know it will cause more work but as always we smile sweetly as that's part of our professional conduct. We also want your child to not worry about it.

There have been times in the schools I have worked in where a family has had no option to pull their child out (family death in their home country or in one case a terminally ill family member's trip to the US etc ) for a few weeks and I am 100% supportive and will do all I can to do to help.

To expect a hard working teacher who puts their all into your child's education already to prepare extra work, worry about test scores from units missed (that they will be accountable for and can affect school funding) and spend extra time helping your worried child when they come back just because you want to save money or whatnot is quite an ask.

If my opinions in this thread make me a judgemental,uptight nut that so be it. I just represent the majority of teachers that care a hell of a lot about the children we teach and that includes the children in this thread.

Edited by Velvetwater

Yeah, we hear you, Its fine to pull kids out of school if they simply will miss school, but no way can you pull a kid out of school if it impacts sports. Makes sense.

Hank

Yes, because the coaches are more strict about missing practice than the schools are about missing classes, how ironic and pathetic.

I do not pull my kids out of school for a cruise or any vacation. They have plenty of vacation days and school is their “job” so they have to be there. Plus I don’t want to cause extra work for the teachers who have to help my child “catch up” on what was taught while they would be gone. The teacher is busy enough.

Although it’s very tempting to think of going during times when the majority of kids are not in school because travel us sooo much cheaper then, but I just cannot do it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We did. twice for a cruise, twice for Disney. But it was elementary school and they had their assigned work to do.

It might have worked out fine for you. But I still say that class discussion, exchange of ideas is an important component besides doing assigned work. Just my opinion, of course.

Even though I teach in a different country I completely agree with your sentiments. :)

Also taking away a teacher's time for one child can have a knock on effect with the others. I may not have kids but as an educational professional I have taught hundreds and worked with their families from 40+ different countries around the world.

Sometimes the world isn't just about your family and you its about what happens to everyone else. When a teacher says that's cool with you taking them out it is usually because we don't want any hassle from you or anyone higher up...we know it will cause more work but as always we smile sweetly as that's part of our professional conduct. We also want your child to not worry about it.

There have been times in the schools I have worked in where a family has had no option to pull their child out (family death in their home country or in one case a terminally ill family member's trip to the US etc ) for a few weeks and I am 100% supportive and will do all I can to do to help.

To expect a hard working teacher who puts their all into your child's education already to prepare extra work, worry about test scores from units missed (that they will be accountable for and can affect school funding) and spend extra time helping your worried child when they come back just because you want to save money or whatnot is quite an ask.

If my opinions in this thread make me a judgemental,uptight nut that so be it. I just represent the majority of teachers that care a hell of a lot about the children we teach and that includes the children in this thread.

Thanks to all teachers for what you do -- if you didn't take education seriously, well ..... we'd be in a world of hurt.

Many different view points for sure! Our boys used to both be in year round school which made it easier to take vacations at various times of the year while they were on their various breaks during all seasons, but now both are in traditional calendar school. I will say this - our younger son is Type 1 Diabetic and has to sometimes miss school for dr appts, occasional illness related to his T1 and so far we have been fortunate that most all of his school work can be done and made up on line. Technology is a GREAT thing! back in the 80's when I was in elementary and middle school it would have been way more difficult to miss school but now....videos, google classroom, gradpoint, etc make it truly not a huge issue, at least in our school locally. My Junior in HS had a teacher up and leave, move away 2 weeks before mid terms exams back in Dec and they had a sub for over a month, different people each day. Prior to that, he had a sub for an AP Class for more than 2 months! We find that in both middle and high school a lot of material is being self taught or with the use of online modules so this is really not too concerning for either of our boys to miss 5 days for a special occasion trip. This isn't something we do every year, we only have one 20th year anniversary, my boys are only going to be 13 and 16 once and to be quite honest....our family has been through the ringer in the past 6 months and so for us, the fact we have to take this trip at a time when school is not out yet is really okay with us! Life is short, family time is precious and so we will enjoy! They will make up work and have already been planning for doing so PRIOR to going and upon returning. We won't get these days or time back and we will make the most of it. I was curious how many folks out there do take their kids out and it's interesting to me (and in some cases humorous) to read the responses. We have a friend (who is a teacher!!!) who's son was just asked to go to Canada for 2 weeks to play hockey, he's in 7th grade, he missed 2 weeks of school, the administrators blessed that opportunity! And for those throwing stones....my kids are incredibly responsible, both working and saving money, yes my 13 year old mows lawns and pet sits, my older son works in a grocery store. They have learned work ethic, morals and values - and a really important value in our home, FAMILY FIRST! So with that....kudos to all the parents who have flexiblity, income, etc. to only go away on school mandated breaks! and even bigger kudos to the parents who are willing to make great memories with your kids despite the fact it may not be the "ideal" time! "Woulda Coulda Shoulda"....no regrets here!

YES to AP and his AP Exams are more than 2 weeks after the return; as a matter of fact, one of his AP Courses is this semester and mostly all online, including test reviews. The other was last semester so he is not even in that class this semester, there will be a review session the week prior to the exam....His other 2 classes, again mostly on google classroom and gradpoint.

As a teacher and parent, I say go for it! People get on their high horse and say it’s wrong, but life is way too short and your kids will only be young for a short time. Time with family is absolutely priceless!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

our thoughts exactly when we booked this trip 8 months ago! :)

Are we alone? We don’t typically pull our kids out of school for trips but this year it’s just timing out that it’s best for us to go the first week in May [emoji85] starting to second guess but wondering....surely we are not alone! We have 13 and 16 year olds....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think it’s fine. As a personal example, my parents would let me miss a few days of school each Spring to go fishing with my father and grandfather. I am now in my mid-50s and still remember those trips and the times I got to spend with them. I am sure there is nothing I missed in school on those days that I would still remember today, at least not fondly.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We don't get super long breaks. We get a few days at Thanksgiving, the 2 weeks around Christmas/New Years, and then a week in the spring (which changes every year). However, my husband's job doesn't allow him to take those times as his vacations every year. Yes, it would be great if he could be off for the holidays like others, but that doesn't happen. He has to pick his vacation every year in November, quite often the school calendar isn't even out by then for the following year.

And quite honestly, as I said before, our teachers have never had a problem since he does his work that he misses. They know that for some people, doing these things are important. Our family went through a lot over a few years, and we wanted to have some time away and with our son. It just happened that my husband had to take his vacation NOT during a regular holiday.

This is our exact situation, husband works for the railroad and the vacation calendar comes out in November. He’s half way up the seniority list after 10 years, and still can’t get close to scoring Christmas Or Spring break off (kids will likely be grown before he can). We could vacation in summer but have always avoided it because we live in a very cold winter state, so winter is when you wanna escape to the Caribbean. Not during our gorgeous summers

However, my oldest starts Jr high next fall, so we’re probably just going to have to reconsider taking him out for extended vacations just because of the increased workloads.

Think I might be the ultimate offender on this thread [emoji23] I’ve taken my kids out of school several times to have frivolous family fun, I’ve left my children to vacation with my husband, and I’ve also left my kids and husband at home to vacation with friends. And I have zero guilt.

As a teacher, bless you kind soul.

I do not pull my kids out of school for a cruise or any vacation. They have plenty of vacation days and school is their “job” so they have to be there. Plus I don’t want to cause extra work for the teachers who have to help my child “catch up” on what was taught while they would be gone. The teacher is busy enough.

Although it’s very tempting to think of going during times when the majority of kids are not in school because travel us sooo much cheaper then, but I just cannot do it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What does it matter what other people think, do, or advise?

You know your children, their scholastic abilities etc. You are in a much better position to make the decision than anyone else. Go with you gut.

Forget about all of the background noise and expert advice. We place far to much value on conformity and acceptance.

I still think the arguments in this thread are misplaced. Keep hearing ‘family’ and ‘memories. Yes, I think everyone will agree with the statement that family time is important and many agree if you say that during an education and historical trip the kid learns equal or more to a classroom.

But that isn’t the issue. The issue is why can’t these great family trips to create memories and maybe have educational value, occur during the 14+ weeks that schools are out?

The answer is usually to save money or weather related. So the actual issue is ‘is saving money or the convenience of having nice weather more important than school’

I went on many wonderful trips growing up - saw broadway shows in New York, went to England, went to Italy and France, was an exchange student in Germany for a month, a month long road trip out west, along with the standard beach vacations - and we didn’t need to miss school for any of them. Suggesting that school or travel is an either or is incorrect.

I went on many wonderful trips growing up - saw broadway shows in New York, went to England, went to Italy and France, was an exchange student in Germany for a month, a month long road trip out west, along with the standard beach vacations - and we didn’t need to miss school for any of them. Suggesting that school or travel is an either or is incorrect.

Completely agree. Most schools are not in session 52 weeks per year. Breaks are given, whether during a long summer recess or throughout the year. Take advantage of those for your travels and memory making.

We often used a 'winter break' week for travel when DS was younger to spend a week in places like Rome and London. Other times we left for a cruise within a day or two of school ending -- including cruises to Alaska and the Baltics (great rates before summer season is in full swing, so no budget hardship...). There are ways.

I still think the arguments in this thread are misplaced. Keep hearing ‘family’ and ‘memories. Yes, I think everyone will agree with the statement that family time is important and many agree if you say that during an education and historical trip the kid learns equal or more to a classroom.

But that isn’t the issue. The issue is why can’t these great family trips to create memories and maybe have educational value, occur during the 14+ weeks that schools are out?

The answer is usually to save money or weather related. So the actual issue is ‘is saving money or the convenience of having nice weather more important than school’

Big thumbs up for this post.

I am also grateful my parents didn't make us miss school and we still travelled extensively when I was young.

They had respect for other families and the education system/teachers which has been instilled in myself and my brother.

I was just discussing this matter with my husband and he reminded me of the case last year where a father (Jon Platt) ended up paying his own court costs and £2000 for going against his schools absence fine to take his kids to Disneyland. It was rather big news in the UK if anyone wants to google it.

Sometimes family travel cannot be done during school breaks due to work schedules. Accountants can’t travel during spring break because it is peak tax season, and don’t even get me started trying to plan a family vacation with a farm family! What about the family who’s been dealt a terminal illness who’d like to vacation before their loved one becomes too ill. There is not a one-size fits all solution to this, nor is it right to judge a family for their choices.

Sometimes family travel cannot be done during school breaks due to work schedules. Accountants can’t travel during spring break because it is peak tax season, and don’t even get me started trying to plan a family vacation with a farm family! What about the family who’s been dealt a terminal illness who’d like to vacation before their loved one becomes too ill. There is not a one-size fits all solution to this, nor is it right to judge a family for their choices.

Those are valid reasons, it seems, to take the kids out of school for a vacation. I think the concern here is the "it's cheaper now" so let's go even though school is in session practice.

Those are valid reasons, it seems, to take the kids out of school for a vacation. I think the concern here is the "it's cheaper now" so let's go even though school is in session practice.

$$$ Definitely not our reason for going when we are. Our reasons are job related, timing of sports and exams, and it just plain works best for our family all the way around!