Haven = Bleh

BNBR

Actually in the video there are kids in the pool...and oh my god...they look like they are playing......:eek::eek:... and honestly it looks like there is a dad just sitting there watching the kids in the pool.... just sayin....

Shall I add you to the signatures on my sternly worded letter?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sure! Use my TK number though...maybe a stormtrooper on the signatures will shake them up a bit

Pssssstttttt..... I totally know what you’re referencing. (Saw your profile pic so I had to check you out. Hello brigade!)

Pssssstttttt..... I totally know what you’re referencing. (Saw your profile pic so I had to check you out. Hello brigade!)

LOL Not many on the Forum have gotten it..... wondering if I can wear my armor to the white hot party lol (if they still have that)

LOL Not many on the Forum have gotten it..... wondering if I can wear my armor to the white hot party lol (if they still have that)

Holy crap. If you did that, I’d point you out to my husband, he’d end up trying to be your best friend the remainder of the cruise, and I’d keep saying “YES, I haven’t seen Last Jedi yet so shut up”.

Holy crap. If you did that, I’d point you out to my husband, he’d end up trying to be your best friend the remainder of the cruise, and I’d keep saying “YES, I haven’t seen Last Jedi yet so shut up”.

LOL! I am seriously thinking of emailing NCL to ask...

Actually in the video there are kids in the pool...and oh my god...they look like they are playing......:eek::eek:... and honestly it looks like there is a dad just sitting there watching the kids in the pool.... just sayin....

Oh the horror! How dare those rugrats even put a pinky in that pool!

Thanks - I know exactly what you mean about Le Bistro. The issue is this NCL is a family cruise line and not 5 or 6 star and you are always going to get children.

What you say is the actually the cornerstone - if they pay then why not. Children makes a noise and people need to get over it. Stop thinking "I am in the Haven" and I have paid. So have others Its NOT exclusive. If you want exclusive then open your wallets and go Seabourn. The service there is truly amazing and exclusive.

It is a family cruise line like all mass marketed lines,but there are still places where kids might not be totally acceptable for many. I actually haven't seen that many little ones at Le Bistros. The problem as I see it is: some get bored and we have probably all seen them and they ruin it for their parents and other guests. Even on a family cruise, there are times when leaving the kids in kids camp is a better solution for everyone. This goes for some of the shows as well.

People keep mentioning Spring Break. We sailed on BA spring break out of NYC and the Haven was very quiet and few kids. Only real thing was the family that changed their kid in the Haven area while they could have easily gone to one of the large bathrooms nearby.

Bottom line - you are not sure what you'll have until you get on the ship.

Agree...that you aren't sure what you'll have til you get on a ship...but a little research can help! The BA sails out of NYC, pulling large numbers of passengers from (obviously) NY, NJ, CT and the New England states. Many of these areas have school breaks of at least a long weekend around President's Day and in Mass. and other areas a full week vacation. Then there will be another full week of school vacation in April (week of 4/9/18 in CT, week of 4/16 in Mass). We don't have a March "Spring Break" up here like they do in the midwest and the south. "Safe" winter times to avoid kids sailing from NYC would be all of January (after New Year's), early Feb, late Feb (after Prez. Day week) and most of March.

Of course, there are school districts and private schools that don't follow the Prez Week and April week schedules, but numbers of kids would lower.

It's all good!

We will be sailing in the Haven aboard Jade for the first time on Monday. After reading this thread, I am hoping our luck holds out and it’s quiet. If not, we have a suite to fall back on. With all of the two bedroom family suites in the Haven, it’s obvious that it’s not adults only. Perhaps Haven is a misnomer?

For us, the private pool and sun deck are only a small part of the wonderful perks. I will report back on my experience. But I will say that I will speak to the concierge if things get out of hand. We have all paid a premium to enjoy the Haven, so we should all try to be considerate of others. It’s not a perfect world. We will try to make the best of it.

Most of the concern comes from the large ships. Jewel class not mentioned that often for issues. They are much smaller areas as well. I know looking at Escape it has around 100 Haven suites so there is lots of opportunity to have mis-behaved guests.

Jade you have 17 Haven access suites. 2 are the GV so other than the pool they don't have much need for the Haven. 4 are OS in front on 9 and 10. Distance might reduce their visits plus they have a huge front balcony and side balcony. 1 DOS with huge balcony.

It seems to be the general consensus among CC members that if you are not willing to tolerate their children doing whatever they want, you should not go anyplace that can possibly allow their children to go. So yes, you should look elsewhere or limit your vacations to whenever they are not taking their's. But whatever you do, you should not expect them to control their children.

This. No one is ever expected to contro, their children.

And it's sad.

In many jurisdictions you need a license to own a dog or cat.

But absolutely anybody can get drunk or otherwise lose their inhibitions and become a 'parent'--and foist their kids on everyone else.

This. No one is ever expected to contro, their children.

And it's sad.

In many jurisdictions you need a license to own a dog or cat.

But absolutely anybody can get drunk or otherwise lose their inhibitions and become a 'parent'--and foist their kids on everyone else.

My issue is with NCL making no effort to control the situation. They have a lot of staff in the Haven on Escape. They should be empowered to at least notify the concierge about kids (or anyone) that is out of hand. Guests shouldn't have to complain.

It's highly unlikely that we would sail NCL again. Was thinking their Haven product was the luxury experience I was looking for but it's simply, not. For those saying to just sail a luxury line, the reason I liked the Haven was the ship within a ship concept. I like the mass market, fun, family atmosphere. I like the kids, waterslides, craft bars, entertainment (though NCL has dismal entertainment, and general feel of the big ships. I thought the Haven, as the name and marketing implies, would be the quiet getaway when we wanted to relax.

Hopefully this thread has at least helped others who may have misunderstood what the Haven is. Lesson learned! Still had a nice time, but way too much money for such a subpar product.

My issue is with NCL making no effort to control the situation. They have a lot of staff in the Haven on Escape. They should be empowered to at least notify the concierge about kids (or anyone) that is out of hand. Guests shouldn't have to complain.

It's highly unlikely that we would sail NCL again. Was thinking their Haven product was the luxury experience I was looking for but it's simply, not. For those saying to just sail a luxury line, the reason I liked the Haven was the ship within a ship concept. I like the mass market, fun, family atmosphere. I like the kids, waterslides, craft bars, entertainment (though NCL has dismal entertainment, and general feel of the big ships. I thought the Haven, as the name and marketing implies, would be the quiet getaway when we wanted to relax.

Hopefully this thread has at least helped others who may have misunderstood what the Haven is. Lesson learned! Still had a nice time, but way too much money for such a subpar product.

It is marketed like a ship within a ship but unfortunately we live in an entitled world and the families with the unruly kids have parents that teach them that they can act any way they want to because they are "ENTITLED' and that Momma and Daddy paid to be here, It's really frustrating and it makes the Haven not so desirable but we love some of the other benefits of the Haven that keeps us booking Haven staterooms.

Most of the concern comes from the large ships. Jewel class not mentioned that often for issues. They are much smaller areas as well. I know looking at Escape it has around 100 Haven suites so there is lots of opportunity to have mis-behaved guests.

Jade you have 17 Haven access suites. 2 are the GV so other than the pool they don't have much need for the Haven. 4 are OS in front on 9 and 10. Distance might reduce their visits plus they have a huge front balcony and side balcony. 1 DOS with huge balcony.

You’re most likely right. We actually just upgraded from a courtyard penthouse to an OS. We’re not going to let any potentially unruly kids ruin our vacation.

We have a pool here where we live- last summer both unruly kids and adults were playing football in the pool. So it’s not just on cruises.

It is marketed like a ship within a ship but unfortunately we live in an entitled world and the families with the unruly kids have parents that teach them that they can act any way they want to because they are "ENTITLED' and that Momma and Daddy paid to be here, It's really frustrating and it makes the Haven not so desirable but we love some of the other benefits of the Haven that keeps us booking Haven staterooms.

An 8 year old kid was hanging out in the Haven on the last day. I ended up talking to him about his trip for a little bit. Really a great kid and not bothering anyone. His dad comes by and says they are going up stairs and he will be fine swimming alone. The kid points at the sign and the rules about under 12 and his dad says he knows people so don't worry about the rules... I couldn't help but think "yeah, that about sums up the Haven in a nutshell." This kid wasn't the problem, but the parents in general just don't care about rules and decency.

I prefer Royal Caribbean which has the solarium, that offers more than the Haven courtyard, and no need to pay for a suite to get it!

An 8 year old kid was hanging out in the Haven on the last day. I ended up talking to him about his trip for a little bit. Really a great kid and not bothering anyone. His dad comes by and says they are going up stairs and he will be fine swimming alone. The kid points at the sign and the rules about under 12 and his dad says he knows people so don't worry about the rules... I couldn't help but think "yeah, that about sums up the Haven in a nutshell." This kid wasn't the problem, but the parents in general just don't care about rules and decency.

I prefer Royal Caribbean which has the solarium, that offers more than the Haven courtyard, and no need to pay for a suite to get it!

And are those people who Daddy knows going to magically appear and save the kid if there's a problem?

You’re most likely right. We actually just upgraded from a courtyard penthouse to an OS. We’re not going to let any potentially unruly kids ruin our vacation.

We have a pool here where we live- last summer both unruly kids and adults were playing football in the pool. So it’s not just on cruises.

It wasn't really about the pool and tubs being totally taken over. It was the splashing and noise, in an enclosed room. It was so loud and out of hand that you couldn't even have a conversation on the top deck. The only adults in the courtyard most of the time were the parents themselves. Everyone else seemed to get run out of there.

Another complaint about the Haven... They pull all the padding off and close off the sundeck at 4! Couldn't make this up. 20 people out there for sailaway and they were strapping the loungers up, closing it all up. 3 hours before the sun went down. They even pulled all the covers off the top courtyard deck.

The Haven just misses the mark on so many fronts. It's not worth the price, in my opinion.

None of the cruise lines care. Years ago we had a group on the funnel deck of Carnival and kids kept coming up there (it was topless/nude and signed) we said something to the staff and they said that they were told not to stop children from going up there because then parents would complain that they told their children "no." pretty much sums up the cruise industry IMHO.

As for a relaxing area on NCL, skip the Haven and just get an aft suite or aft balcony for far less money and then buy the spa pass. Especially on larger ships with nicer spas. They did get the spa concept right on the Epic. Not so much on the Jewel.

None of the cruise lines care. Years ago we had a group on the funnel deck of Carnival and kids kept coming up there (it was topless/nude and signed) we said something to the staff and they said that they were told not to stop children from going up there because then parents would complain that they told their children "no." pretty much sums up the cruise industry IMHO.

As for a relaxing area on NCL, skip the Haven and just get an aft suite or aft balcony for far less money and then buy the spa pass. Especially on larger ships with nicer spas. They did get the spa concept right on the Epic. Not so much on the Jewel.

The spa and much of the dining was a total home run on Escape. They really nailed it. Almost everything else was not up to par. And with so many better options for similar or less money with other lines, I can't see a pathway to us booking NCL again. Maybe if Haven was declared adults only.. But that's not going to happen.

Or just look in to an adults only cruise. I know there are a couple on Royal coming up as well as at least one on Celebrity.

I don't dislike kids or having them on a cruise. I think the family atmosphere adds to the experience. There is just an appropriate time and place.

Look again: they were NOT.

After reading the "kids" comments, I watched the video and for a good while.... only couples! And as I looked and wondered, it dawned upon me that those smiling, slow motion couples sipping champagne with smiles on their face.... they dropped their kids in The Courtyard first! Notice the loud soundtrack? It was to drown out the screaming and yelling of their children jumping in and out of the hot tub. HaHa! And NO!

Oh wait! There were children in the videos. Well-behaved children. I watched twice. The most daring act was the boy jumping over the threshold after his sister, as he came in from the balcony. Otherwise:

In the courtyard a daughter smiled as she was offered a gummy bear from her mother. She DID NOT jump up and down and scream: "Gummy Bears! I want Gummy Bears now!"

In the Haven Restaurant a family with two children are having a meal. The children are seated quietly. The ARE NOT banging flatware, jumping on their chairs, playing games on their devices, or dropping food all over the floor.

At 1:14 in the video a family is seen in the courtyard, mom & dad reclined in loungers right by their two children, the boy on the ledge and his sister sitting in the water. NO ONE is splashing, screaming, running, jumping, throwing toys etc.

So that's how Norwegian markets The Haven. Now we just need to petition them to add the tiny print at the end of that promo:

The Haven is intended for singles, couples and families with well-behaved children. It is not intended for drunks, loud-mouths, or those disrespectful of others. Child care services marketed and sold separately.