How does paid gratuities from the cruise line work?

Jess777

I booked a Mex Riv cruise in Nov 2016 with $150 room credit and gratuity included. I can see the cabin credit in my booking but not the paid gratuity amount. In fact there is a space to pre-pay gratuities in the cruise manager.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It gets automatically taken off of your cruise account each day of the cruise

When your package include gratuities as a perk, they do not put in into your onboard account or take it off. It doesn't show up on your statement at all. On my booking, under "notes," there is a notation that says "Comp grats."

If you do not have it as part of your package and you choose to pre-pay, it is taken off the account daily. Makes the account look like a real mess.

When your package include gratuities as a perk' date=' they do not put in into your onboard account or take it off. It doesn't show up on your statement at all. On my booking, under "notes," there is a notation that says "Comp grats."

If you do not have it as part of your package and you choose to pre-pay, it is taken off the account daily. Makes the account look like a real mess.[/quote']

Interesting.....because last year, when we had "free grats" it was posted and reversed each day on the account.

I booked a Mex Riv cruise in Nov 2016 with $150 room credit and gratuity included. I can see the cabin credit in my booking but not the paid gratuity amount. In fact there is a space to pre-pay gratuities in the cruise manager.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have the pre-paid gratuities on an upcoming cruise. They show in my personalizer where you could normally pay the gratuities prior to the trip. It shows "paid" in that section.

We have the pre-paid gratuities on an upcoming cruise. They show in my personalizer where you could normally pay the gratuities prior to the trip. It shows "paid" in that section.

That's the way it's been shown on the ones we've booked with free grats.

But we all know how consistent Princess is.

OP: if it doesn't show on the booking confirmation that was emailed to you, call Princess (or your TA if booked that way).

Yes, ours also shows paid and a balance of 0 owed in the Personalizer. And it's never been posted on our onboard account if prepaid my the cruise ship or ourselves...

Yes, it's in your Cruise Personalizer. Click on Pre-paid Gratuities. It'll show "0" for each passenger and you won't have the ability to pre-pay them. That's how you know it's a paid perk. It's also on your Client Invoice from Princess in small print.

Thanks for this--I saw it in the fine print, but didn't know it was also in the personalizer.

I know when we have pre-paid our own Gratuities the amount never showed on our invoice on board ship and there were never any deductions on the invoice on board ship. Guess it was a total wash.

Our prepaid gratuities showed up on our travel summary. It was nice not to have our onboard accounts cluttered up with the entries for the daily gratuities. I figured Princess did it this way so that someone could not remove the gratuities and get the money for them instead.

Interesting.....because last year, when we had "free grats" it was posted and reversed each day on the account.

Last time we had it, that’s how it was handled too.

But now we only cruise Aus so don’t need to worry about it.

I just checked my Shipboard Account Statement. The gratuities were never added to the account.

I booked the cruise under the 3 for free. The only place it showed that we had free gratuities was in the papers from my TA.

Tony

I have been fortunate enough to have pre-paid gratuities on my last two cruises and my upcoming three. It always shows up in your personalizer as well as your booking confirmation( as "complimentary Grat." under Comments. In your personalizer, go to "Payments and Credits." Then click on 'Optional Gratuity PrePayment." Then under each name to the right of it, it will state,

"Paid $xxx.xx. Once you see that Paid amount you know that you got that perk and it is registered so to speak.

Pooh