Princess at sea

Sharratt

No. There was, once upon a time, an app to download. I know because I downloaded it. By the time we sailed it was superfluous. There is no need for an app. Instructions are listed in the Patter or you can get assistance from the Internet Cafe manager. You simply open your browser and navigate to the ship's intranet address. It will be different for each ship.

If you want to exchange messages with other passengers you will then need to give them your ID info and get theirs. There is no "push" notification to let you know you have a message so it is good to agree among yourselves to check periodically. Every half hour should be sufficient. There is much more to Princess@Sea than simply messaging though. I find it quite useful.

Edit: Here is what is listed in the Patter. This will be on the first page of the Patter on the first day of the cruise. Obviously this is for Ruby Princess but the other ships merely use the name of the appropriate ship at the beginning of the URL.

enhance

Edited by Thrak

If you want to exchange messages with other passengers you will then need to give them your ID info and get theirs. There is no "push" notification to let you know you have a message so it is good to agree among yourselves to check periodically. Every half hour should be sufficient. There is much more to Princess@Sea than simply messaging though. I find it quite useful.

Thank you! I had forgotten about this.

The Regal has been outfitted with the ocean medallion. Most of us have not experienced it but they have a different intranet offering which probably is SocialOcean. It will replace Princess@Sea as the ***** technology spreads across the fleet. Right now it is only on the Regal.

Several things I like about Princess@Sea is the ability to order breakfast in our stateroom negating the hang tag, seeing my folio 24x7 anytime, customizable list of the daily activities, ship deck plans and the ability to send text messages to the DW.

To the poster commenting about the "intranet", it is a term to describe a network that exists only locally to allow local traffic. The intranet on the ship is accessible by anyone on the ship to anyone else on the ship or local website (Princess@Sea). The term "internet" is when the user has access to the world wide web (WWW) so they can access any website outside the ship environment.

• 1 month later...
Is it Shipmate that they use now? I already have an account on there

Not as of last October (and no reason to think that's changed)

It is an intranet-based (i.e. onboard the ship only with no connectivity off of it)

website. For example: type "rubyprincess.com" into your browser address line

to get to the ship's main page, and messaging uses a webpage linked off of

there. It does not "you've got mail" functionality, so your target never sees any

message until they go check on their device.

The saving grace is that since it doesn't use off-ship connectivity to the internet,

it doesn't use internet minutes and no need to sign up for an internet package.

Shipmate requires off-ship connectivity to a shore-based server.